NEurope
Retro_Link

Black Panther Movie in the works?

black_panther.jpg

Seems the second 2014 Marvel movie slot that looked to maybe go to Ant-Man or Doc Strange, could be headed towards Black Panther?...

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/06/05/is-a-black-panther-movie-happening

Black Panther, oft-discussed as a possible Marvel movie, now appears to be on track to make his big-screen debut.

Latino Review, who are in the Marvel scoop business these days (and claim they have four different "trusted" sources in the know), says that a film about the Wakandan prince (or king, depending on the story) T'Challa is in the pipeline and is apparently intended to be released after Captain America 2 (which hits in April of 2014).

That would certainly line Black Panther up for inclusion in The Avengers 2. And don't forget, Marvel did hire a writer named Mark Bailey to pen the script back in January of 2011. LR says word has it that script is "fantastic." And we did see Wakanda on a map in Iron Man 2…

So is Black Panther a worthy solo film character?

To me he doesn't really seem so, too many of his standard abilities mirror Captain America (enhanced strength, stamina, agility, speed), and then he has heightened senses, which may come in handy, but it doesn't exactly set him up for a defined role on The Avengers team? Seems like someone to fill in for Cap when he's not around, which won't be the case in these films.

Also I read up on his backstory, part of which seems to involve Storm, who Marvel can't use anyway. (stupid)

I'd seen ReZ mention this somewhere on Feeb and was interested. This will definitely be a live-action movie if it happens, right? Also why can't they use Storm? Also I don't know all that much about him though I did recently watch a recent animated series they'd made of Black Panther, had a slight comic book animation style to it but I actually thought it was pretty good.

EDIT:Nevermind, I see now that it looks like Fox own rights on X-men atm?

Yeah Fox currently have the X-Men rights.

Yep it would be live action, the next Marvel character to get his own film.

I wouldn't be surprised if they could use Storm, but I wouldn't want them too. Could be a great movie. It would be a brand new and unique location, darker than the other Marvel movies. Could be decent.

IGN: What We Want From The Black Panther Movie

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/06/07/what-we-want-from-the-black-panther-movie

Sounds like it could be pretty good to me.

I like their idea about a flashback WWII Black Panther vs Captain America to help immediately link the character in, and could make for interesting scenes when Modern day Cap meets the new Black Panther.

Also like the Vibranium link and Klaw sounds a pretty decent villian.

They also say Black Panther has fought Ultron, so yeah.

Klaw is fucking cool. He is one of those lame villains, but I LOVE LAME VILLAINS, and a movie villain could be elevated so much, especially with solid casting.

Big question for people; who to play T'Challa, if anyone known at all?

Yeah I agree, take the Chris Hemsworth route.

It would also mean who ever they chose wouldn't have a 'big hollywood personality' that could steal the limelight.

Idris Elba is doable at a very slight pinch, in that his helmet and eyes in Thor do a very good job of disguising who he actually is. But yeah I'd rather he just develop that character as he's AWESOME! :D

Tbh, thinking about it more, I don't think Idris Elba would really 'suit' the Black Panther, as much as I do love him.

Did Stan Lee Confirm the Black Panther Movie?

Marvel may indeed be developing a feature for the Prince of Wakanda.

During the Wizard World Comic Con in New York City this past weekend, comic book guru Stan Lee was asked about Marvel's current slate of movies planned for Phase Three. In response, Lee may have confirmed the development of the rumored Black Panther film. Here's the quote:

"The people at Marvel are spending hours trying to think 'What'll we do next?' And there's a damn good chance that they will think just what you mentioned because it would be a great idea, and little by little, everything you want to see will come along because they're just like you. They're fans of the stories and are trying to think, 'What will the fans like to see next? What would we like to see next?' So they're working on Ant-Man, working on Doctor Strange; they're working on Guardians of the Galaxy; they're working on God knows what. Did I say the Black Panther also? They're the ones I know about."

It should be noted that while Lee is often credited as an executive producer in Marvel's films, it's mostly just an honorary title. Such as it is, he probably only knows so much about the inner workings of the movie stuff -- although it is entirely possible that he knows something we don't. And the fact that he mentions Black Panther so casually alongside such confirmed titles as Ant-Man, Doctor Strange and Guardians of the Galaxy seems to indicate that it is in development.

Could this explain Marvel recently wanting to meet with Vin Diesel, or is that just wishful thinking?

I think Marvel just added another unconfirmed movie didn't they the other day?

I hope they cast someone actually African.

They'll cast Benedict Cumberbatch.

i wish we could have Idris Elba, the guy is too awesome
I reckon if they wanted to they could just about get away with it... to me he wasn't all that recognisable in Thor.