NEurope
rajmist

Wii U = DreamCast

Power up Cock Block special move. Serious damage inflicted :grin:

QUOTE]

Classic line mate ! :laughing:

Now those stats are quite fair not are they and you know it mate.

Wii Play .... lets face it, it was a cheap way to buy a controller,

Wii Sports.... Freem apart from in Asia (only decent launch title.. but still not really a AAA game)

to be fair Mario Kart and Mario Bros 2 solid games, personally thought Wii Mario Kart was too slow and boring but my personal opinion.

Now how long has Wii Fit and Fit Plus been out compared to Kinect ??

and why did you list the sales figure for the Wii version of dead space ... which in my opinion was a really great game but i believe it sold less than 15000 copies i mean that kind of proves my point that without a title nintendo will never get some of the market share from xbox and playstation.

also out of interest have you used Kinect Fitness Evolved 2010 ?

I didn't list the sales figures for the Wii version of dead space because it wasn't in the top selling games of this generation. Had it have been, I would have.

Some games have flopped on the Wii, but equally there have been games which have well underperformed on the 360 and PS3. Just because one franchise does well on one console doesn't mean it will do well on another.

Your point that Nintendo needs to capture market share from the other consoles is silly, as Nintendo have the biggest share of the market already!

There has been 136 million sellers (or greater) on the Wii. Having a system with 136 games that have sold a million units or more is hardly a system that lacks software sales.

Just because a few noisy fan boys on the internet say something is the case, doesn't mean it's true!

The Wii has to my recollection the fewest games sold per console.

Casuals buy one or two games a year, and then they buy the one that everyone else has. Cores spend much more money and research on their games.

Actually that's false. The 360 has the best tie ratio with 7.5 games per console, then the Wii with 6.07 then the PS3 with 4.6.

The Wii has done pretty well when it comes to software sales.

@Zechs Merquise I think you should take Multiplatform games as combined sales to give a truer reflection of what gamers are actually buying tbh.

COD are all 20+ million sales; what other games would make that list on combined sales?

Obviously COD would. I think that's it though. Madden and FIFA do well, selling millions of units on each system - but nowhere near the numbers we're talking in that list. GTA is the only other title that would reach the list.

Also, I just rank the games literally as they're ranked in sales charts - so individual releases are seperate - so a COD release over two consoles is two seperate entries in the chart.

I have ONE thing to say: Casuals don't watch f**king E3! No soccer mom is going to go online and sit in front of the computer and patiently listen to game news!

E3 isn't designed for being watched online. It's for the many, many members of press from all sorts of media (online, magazine, TV, newspaper, etc) who attend the show.

The people actually watching it online are a tiny minority of the people who the conference is aimed at.

Your point that Nintendo needs to capture market share from the other consoles is silly, as Nintendo have the biggest share of the market already!

Nintendo themselves said they were aiming for that market...

To be fair, I'd be very happy if the Wii U turned out to be similar to the Dreamcast as that was a fantastic console, ahead of it's time in many respects with some truly superb software. It's right up there as one of the best consoles ever (possibly only beaten out by the SNES).

That's all I've really got to say here. No point going into whether or not the Wii U will go the same way as the Dreamcast as it's far too early to tell, as madeinbeats already said. Even when it hits shelves this November/December, we won't be able to comment on that but given the strength of Nintendo's IPs, both with core and casual gamers, they'll never come to the same end as Sega.

Nintendo themselves said they were aiming for that market...

Where? When? At the expense of what?

I dimly remember Reggie's cheesy introduction of the Wii U (something like "this is a console for U") last E3. Then there where some "deeper and wider" comments from Iwata (?) I believe. It's obvious that they don't want to be left completely out of this market this time.

Who is "you" though? What is "wider"? As I've said before: It was also obvious that they weren't going to do a 180° turn, renounce the existence of the Wii, build a subsidized gaming monster and try to lick the "core gamers" feet from the moment the showed the Wii U. That's just what some people seem to interpret into these noncommittal statements, when everything else pointed to Nintendo trying to expand upon what they started with the Wii instead of abandoning it.

Zechs Merquise: You are now my favorite person :)

People need to stop only thinking from their closed perspective, I can understand that many people feel that the Wii was a weak Nintendo console. But the fact is [as proven by Zechs] That the Wii is a commercial success, and even though you might not find it your core system of choice it has won the casual market. Nintendo has made a fortune on the Wii. And it will again with its amazing first party titles.

As a core gamer I hope Nintendo start focusing on getting more third party support as there's no reason why the Wii U can't be the best of both worlds. If Nintendo manges to get GTA V/COD:BLOPS2 [or another huge thirdparty game ] on Wii U and it's the best version of the game I'm sure Wii U will be in the lead of the next gen machines, even though it's the least powerful.

Wonder what that new pedometer thing briefly shown brings to the table? If that thing has a StreetPass element going on which might inject a competitive side to Wii Fit with complete strangers; say Mr Poncey haircut you pass every morning at the bus stop... "that p*ssy did how many pushups! I'm gonna bust that record and wear the tightest shirt I can find tomorrow!!"

No, crude example, but seriously, Wii Fit + StreetPass could open loads of possibilities. I'm sure Nintendo knows Wii Fit needs new USPs to breath freshness into it and give reasons to upgrade this might just be one of them.

Nintendo have been trying and wasting pedometer uses for ages! Pokewalker; great idea. DS Walk with Me game and pedometer, great idea. 3DS - CONSOLE with pedometer BUILT-IN and encouraging people to go out and about - pedometer use? Some shitty limit coins. Though I do wonder if they'll allow the 3DS pedometer to replace this wii fit u one...

Also, quite an awesome idea you present for it :p

Seriously though, they should do more awesome stuff with the 3DS pedometer.

/not really contributing to thread but yes nintendo has the casual market and largely handheld and i dont think they'll flop quite yet

The Wii has to my recollection the fewest games sold per console.

Casuals buy one or two games a year, and then they buy the one that everyone else has. Cores spend much more money and research on their games.

Wouldn't this also be caused by a large sale of hardware units, though? Still no bad thing, though I wonder if they'll do the classic nintendo turn a profit on the console thing.

Edited by Rummy
Automerged Doublepost

Wii U = Dreamcast... :idea:

:bouncy::santa::grin:Wii U getting Skies of Arcadia 2!! :grin::santa::bouncy:

The Wii sold 95 million units to date and has the biggest selling software releases ever. If that's an EPIC fail, I'd love to see a win!

*points to Xbox 360 and PS3* Those are wins, right? Less is more when it comes to sales! Jeez, get it right, Zechs!

Except when its the N64 and Gamecube. Then less is less!

E3 2017 might look a lot different to this year's.

VR headsets!

Nintendo On!

Nintendo Hoverboards!

Nintendo Land is a real theme park!

Wake me up in 2017!

I have ONE thing to say: Casuals don't watch f**king E3! No soccer mom is going to go online and sit in front of the computer and patiently listen to game news!

They might not watch E3 but I bet they read Time or something that reports on E3. :wink:

Nintendo Direct is for us, E3 is for the footy ma's.

Calling the Wii U a Dreamcast is fucking insulting, Sega put in the effort to give Sonic a brand new experience and not a cheap rehash of the last 2D outing =P

Wouldn't this also be caused by a large sale of hardware units, though? Still no bad thing, though I wonder if they'll do the classic nintendo turn a profit on the console thing.

Umm... what? How would that work?

That's the whole point of counting games per console.

They might not watch E3 but I bet they read Time or something that reports on E3. :wink:

Nintendo Direct is for us, E3 is for the footy ma's.

I don't think that's going to have an effect either. Non-gamers are going to buy whatever is trendy, they won't do their research. And whatever they read about E3 will have no bearing on what they buy. Trust me, I've seen plenty of parents being suckered into buying original Xbox's a week before the launch of the 360. My mum was suckered in to buying a Master System, for which she wasn't able to find games anywhere after that final christmas season. So she bought me a console for which I only ever was able to get two games. And Heroes of the Lance was one of them (I've seen it in several lists of the worst game of all time).

Like how people whom don't care about cars make very poor research. Let's face it, if casual consumers knew how to make proper research, the whole french auto industry, plus Opel/Vauxhall would be gone by now and all footy moms would be driving Saabs because of their supperior safety features. But that's not what's happened, is it?

Well Zech's has managed to provide some figures(though where do you obtain them from!), which refutes the argument anyway. I'm just saying, if Wii sells double the Xbox, it might well have a lower attach rate despite the fact it's still in some ways more successful. Nintendo NEVER turned a loss on just the wii console alone, so think how much money all those sales have made them over time as production costs have gone down.

Admittedly not really relevant to the point of THIS argument, but as a business and commercial product, I'd say making money is a good measure of success. It's just annoying for a lot of fans that it seems to be they've made all this money, and they continue putting the money first and forgetting the fans who used to love them so as kids.