NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Hero-of-Time

Miiverse Messaging Could Take 30 Minutes

Dazzy mentioned this in another thread but I think its thread worthy.

Messages posted to Miiverse, Nintendo's suite of Wii U social functions, could face a delay of around 30 minutes to appear.

This is because the social networking service will be actively moderated by Nintendo-employed "human resources" personnel.

Each message posted to Miiverse, displayed on the Wii U desktop and in specific areas in Wii U software, will need to be read and verified before it becomes visible.

Nintendo boss Satoru Iwata said he thought a delay of half an hour when posting messages was fine.

"The attraction of a social network is the immediacy of the feedback," Iwata explained to LA Times. But Nintendo needed to balance that with the need to make the service child-friendly, he continued.

"Personally, I think 30 minutes [delay] should be acceptable."

But even this estimate is subject to change, depending on how many people are trying to use the service and the number of Nintendo staff available to read through messages.

Each post will be automatically screened by a computer first, presumably to remove any obvious swears. Users will also be able to flag up any comments/penis pictures that get through the other filters.

This sounds really insane. Hopefully this doesn't include people on your friendslist. If it does Nintendo have once again lost the plot.

It's annoying, Nintendo have some wonderful franchises and many, many great ideas.

Yet there are many areas where they simply don't have a clue.

Nintendo: If you want to do this to "protect" kids, also have a DOB in your account. Then allow everyone over 18 to see messages before moderation.

To me this sounds like the messages you write about each game that then appears on the home screen will have a delay. Surely if you just send a message to a specific person this delay won't be there!?

Then again, this is Nintendo, so it probably will be :/

To me this sounds like the messages you write about each game that then appears on the home screen will have a delay. Surely if you just send a message to a specific person this delay won't be there!?

But look back to the Nintendo Direct demo - the main situation they showed off for the usage of it (asking for help when you die) would be pointless with this moderation.

The idea is fantastic, execution shocking. Nintendo to a T!

I really wish someone could go to Reggie/Iwata and lay out all these issues and see what they say about it. They lost the core gamers, the casuals have gone away and they are in serious danger of fucking off Nintendo fans.

They do say "posted to Miiverse" not messaged to your friends.

In the video from Sunday, his cry for help was posted to his friends it would seem, which I expect wouldn't be modded. It's a little confusing as he then browses the Miiverse message board for help as well, which is the bit I'd expect to be moderated.

*shrug* If it's messages from unknowns then I think I can wait 30 mins.

Yeah, this is blatantly just for public communication on Miiverse, not for communication between friends.

Unless Nintendo are planning to moderate video chats too. :heh:

*EDIT*

Do we know if/what the delay is with Letter Box?

Someone should test that. Send out a message at a certain time (having let the recipients know the time in advance) the people receiving could then do a send/receive on their Letter Box app at/slightly after that time, see if they get the message. :geek:

I'd be up for testing this out, if anyone is interested. :heh:

Edited by RedShell

If this delay is only for public communication and messages to your friends is instant, then that's fine.

If it's not... Oh dear...

I'm sure it's only for public communication, but that's still fairly poor.

I'm sure it's only for public communication, but that's still fairly poor.

If it is just for public then that's fine. I usually ignore the random messages on Live anyway. :D

You have to understand Nintendo's position on this. All you need is one dickhead to start posting pics of their genitals and that's it, frontpage of the Sun would be 'Every Single Paedophile and Sex Abuser now buying WiiU to get to YOUR Children'.

I remember when it actually got in the newspapers that some people had designed Miis to look like Hitler! FFS! As if that's even worthy of news.

Nintendo are just careful not to erode the family image they have built up.

You have to understand Nintendo's position on this. All you need is one dickhead to start posting pics of their genitals and that's it, frontpage of the Sun would be 'Every Single Paedophile and Sex Abuser now buying WiiU to get to YOUR Children'.

QFT

Remember friendcodes? Nintendo has always focused on keeping our younglings safe. And if any Idiot can post garbage that is visible for the whole world I'm glad there's someone moderating it. How would you like to logg into the miiverse and see the word "nigger" all around the COD space?

I for one is glad they are doing something to prevent this. But I do think they could have solved a lot by having a good automatic censoring system.

One of the best things about online gaming on the wii was that it wasn't spoilt by 12-year old American kids talking shit and acting like knobs. I can see Miiverse being an open invitation for these twats so i'm glad Nintendo has some moderation in place. Who wants their Zelda experience ruined by someone posting a spoiler?

One of the best things about online gaming on the wii was that it wasn't spoilt by 12-year old American kids talking shit and acting like knobs.

I've never had that problem on Xbox 360 or PS3.

Do we know if/what the delay is with Letter Box?

When Letterbox became available, I was playing COD online with lost, so we downloaded the app at the end, to try it out and discuss it while we had our headsets on. I remember getting the "test" message from him, in under 2 minutes.

I've been thinking of something...

If this is the case, what's the reasoning in flagging a message? Could Iwata just mean that flagged messages disappear until they are checked out, which just take 30 minutes?

I've never had that problem on Xbox 360 or PS3.

You've never had the problem of abusive teens on XBOX Live?

I owned an XBOX 360 for about a year. The following three things were a recurring nightmare:

1) Abusive and generally shitty 12-15 year olds

2) Singing. People were always singing/playing music down their headsets - really annoying

3) Broken headsets giving constant feedback or distortion.

I can just imagine the horrors of being able to hear everyone in a game of Mario Kart!

You've never had the problem of abusive teens on XBOX Live?

Nope, not a single problem.

For the most part, my mic settings were set to Friends Only, people in my game party (i.e. those in my group in Halo/CoD) or I was in Party Chat (up to 8 people in a chat, no matter what game they are playing). The only exception was Burnout Paradise, where it was set so I could hear everyone. It had a great community and wouldn't be right without the voice chat.

Nope, not a single problem.

For the most part, my mic settings were set to Friends Only, people in my game party (i.e. those in my group in Halo/CoD) or I was in Party Chat (up to 8 people in a chat, no matter what game they are playing). The only exception was Burnout Paradise, where it was set so I could hear everyone. It had a great community and wouldn't be right without the voice chat.

That's the difference then. I played Halo and COD and was on open mic chat! It was bad!

I can just imagine the horrors of being able to hear everyone in a game of Mario Kart!

Oh God.

I think that would be such a HUGE whine-fest I can't even imagine.

Bad luck in Mario Kart x Voice Chat = the need for Lostmario to urge everyone to keep it to themselves.

Would be fun if we only got to see live videofeed of everyone's faces though :3

This is definately public comments, I can't see that private comments are moderated - aside from perhaps the standard rudies (although, they're going to get through via handwritten posts).

Is anyone really going to notice though. Its not like I can actually watch your game and comment immediately. We simply won't notice.

It does, however, seem a ludicrous situation. This is an incredible waste of money and time; a better way would be to have a harsh reprimand programme which completely disconnects you for a week for spoiler or offensive language. A repeat earns you 4 weeks and a final step would be to disallow your your WiiU completely.

On Xbox, if I ever had whiny/screamy 12 years olds shouting abuse down their headsets, I'd just mute them! Most of the time I'd be in party chat anyway so I wouldn't hear them.

I would love to see live video chat in game lobbies, but I worry we'd end up with the video game version of chat roulette.

Sign in to follow this