NEurope
Retro_Link

Trine 2: Directors Cut (eShop)

I played this on Xbox, and I haven't finished it yet. I don't know what it is, but I found it rather boring actually. The controls were slow and it was very clearly made with mouse controls in mind.

That said, it may be better on Wii U if they use the touch screen as pointer controls. That would work fine, I think. Or just use the Wiimote.

I played Trine 2 a few months back on the PS3, as it was free for PS+ subscribers. It looked pretty enough, but I soon got bored with the game. I never finished it, just got my trophies and moved on. :D

looks beautiful

It does that. Not so sure it doesn't look a bit dull for me!?! I sort of left side-scrollers behind in the past after the N64.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/09/11/trine-2-enter-the-wii-u-dragon

In a world of Mario and Pikmin, it's easy to overlook a gorgeous 2D sidescroller fantasy. Pro Tip: Don't.

There's a chance you've never heard of Trine 2. If you haven't, you're missing out. A side-scrolling platformer set in a whimsical fantasy world, the first release of the game (back in December 2011) scored a high mark from IGN. Turns out the adventure game is not only gorgeous, it plays incredibly well, packed with fantastic 2D action and puzzles.

So that's good news for Wii U owners, because a Director's Cut of the game is coming to Wii U, complete with an expanded version of the recently-released "Goblin Menace" expansion pack. Even better - Trine 2 is due to release at the system's launch. Developer Frozenbyte is working on polishing various elements of the original game - including tweaking gameplay, geometry, vocals and the overall user experience. The Director's Cut will also support both Wii remotes and the Wii U GamePad, complete with touch controls.

Frozenbyte has had plenty of time to perfect the Trine 2 experience on Wii U. In fact the team had a version of the game up and running on Nintendo's system in two days, giving them plenty of time to adjust visuals and implement touch screen functionality. While general movement and platforming controls are still operated through traditional button inputs, players can now move and manipulate in-game objects through the GamePad screen.

Ahead of Nintendo's Wii U press conference this Thursday, we wanted to give you a little taste of Trine 2. Check out some gorgeous new screenshots of the Director's Cut below.

trine2directorscutignexclusivesandwormshot720pjpg-4410da_640w.jpg

trine2directorscutignexclusivedesertshot720pjpg-9d8dbb_640w.jpg

trine2directorscutignexclusivecloudislesshot720pjpg-9d8dba_640w.jpg

trine2directorscutignexclusivemountainsshot720pjpg-9d8dbc_640w.jpg

Blizzard made The Lost Vikings and Trine is from a Finnish developer, so I doubt there's any relation.

But a lot of people have compared the two games, so maybe you'd like Trine 2 anyway. :heh:

After finally having played the first Trine, I would just like to say that the people comparing it to The Lost Vikings have no idea what they're talking about and the game really isn't worth playing unless you enjoy games where every puzzle has one of only two solutions and every level has 30+ enemies.

I think I'll continue to give Trine 2 a pass, even though I'm tempted by the colorful screenshots. :p

After finally having played the first Trine, I would just like to say that the people comparing it to The Lost Vikings have no idea what they're talking about and the game really isn't worth playing unless you enjoy games where every puzzle has one of only two solutions and every level has 30+ enemies.

I think I'll continue to give Trine 2 a pass, even though I'm tempted by the colorful screenshots. :p

I rather enjoyed the first Trine. You're right that most puzzles only have one way of being dealt with and it will force you to back track to a save point to get a defeated character but I still think there is enough in it to at least warrent a playthrough. You might struggle with repeated plays since you know what's coming but that's the nature of puzzle games. I still get a thrill out of swinging through the levels with Zoya and the presentation is great.

Trine 2 certainly has more ways to solve puzzles. You can choose to have a team be made up of just one character type if you wish. I've not tried it myself but I assume the game must be beatable in that state or what's the point in offering it. It helps that you can completely reassign skill points at will and aren't as bound by the natural progression of the game like in the first where certain skill-ups appear on a level specific basis. It also considerably ups the graphical spectacle, as shown in the pictures, and the levels are much longer too. When I was hit with some long load times compared to the first, I thought the game might not have installed properly but the levels are so big and packed with stuff, it's understandable why it happened.

I'm about half way through number 2 and have been meaning to get back to it but have been playing some other games in the meantime. I noticed the DLC went up on Steam last week and I'll more than likely pick it up at some point. The trailer looked fantastic and the environments far nicer - most of the levels I've played in 2 have been in dark woods/interior sections after the first 2 levels which were more outdoors. I find those dark moody places a bit off putting at times.

Whilst the audiovisual presentation is outstanding, taken in it's indivdual parts, the gameplay can seem a bit lacking - jumping doesn't feel amazing, you move at a set speed and combat is clunky at best (still an improvement on the first though) but it really is more than the sum of it's parts.

I don't think it's a huge improvement from the first game, gameplay wise, but it's certainly far more polished and it's difficult not to like it. I wish they'd kept the power up items from the first but they make for a couple of in-game jokes so it's not all bad. I've not tried online multiplayer yet but I'd imagine that offers a interesting experience forcing you to stick to one character.

I'm kinda of keen to know what is meant by "expanded version of the recently-released "Goblin Menace" expansion pack". How much will this differ from what's already out.

Edited by Captain Falcon

It does that. Not so sure it doesn't look a bit dull for me!?! I sort of left side-scrollers behind in the past after the N64.

You've missed out on some classics then - Rayman Legends, Braid, Limbo to name but a few.

Fifteen minutes is forever? I remember spending over an hour installing The Longest Journey back in the day. It came on four CDs! Crazy.

*Sits back in rocking chair*

Fifteen minutes is forever? I remember spending over an hour installing The Longest Journey back in the day. It came on four CDs! Crazy.

*Sits back in rocking chair*

by todays standards then yes, but nothing compared to FF11,KOTOR Hell any pc game before 2002, i miss those days actually getting to the point to play the game was an achievement in its self

Trine 2: Director's Cut Review

Developer: Frozenbyte | Size: 1880 MB | Price: $19.99

A delightfully open-ended sequel that shouldn't be missed by any puzzle fan.

Lucas' Note: Trine 2 first launched for PCs. PlayStation Network and Xbox Live Arcade a little less than a year ago, in December 2011. It earned a rating of 9/10 and an Editor's Choice Award from Daemon in his original review, and after playing the new Wii U edition I find that his thoughts are still perfectly appropriate today. So read Daemon's words here, then I'll jump back in at the end with "The Wii U Difference" section:

A trine is a group of three. It was also a clever 2009 puzzle platformer starring a trio of adventurers, each with specific talents. Lucky us, now we have a sequel, Trine 2, that offers more fun physics-based challenges, more beautiful vistas, and adds online multiplayer to the mix.

The first thing I noticed about Trine 2 is its stunning visuals. Each scene, from forests to caves to lazy beaches, shines with rich detail and startling lighting effects. There is always something amazing to distract you. Trine 2 easily makes for one of the prettiest games of the year.

Trine2trio.jpg

Trine 2's trio of heroes.

If you played the first Trine, you'll find a very familiar game here. Players run from left to right through fantasy spectacles, surmounting obstacles and slaying a few goblins along the way. You have three heroes at your disposal: a wizard that can conjure blocks and platforms, a thief with a bow and grappling hook, and a knight with sword, hammer, and shield. The brilliance of Trine 2 is that it mostly leaves the choice of which hero to use up to you. I love it when a game lets me off my leash and tells me "have fun," – and that's the kind of game Trine 2 is.

It does fail to teach the player some important mechanics, though, resulting in slight exasperation when you don't realize a solution is even possible. The wizard's platforms, for instance, can be stuck to swinging spiked maces, resulting in a pendulum conveyance. That's really cool, but it would have been nice to get a heads-up before I found myself stuck at the bottom of an ice slope for a little too long.

When playing by yourself you switch between the three heroes at will. In a matter of moments you might slash through some goblins as the knight, switch to the thief to grapple to a high platform, then switch to the wizard to move a heavy block in front of a flamethrower. Trine 2 is also very friendly about multiplayer gaming, allowing up to three players to join the adventure either locally or online. I find the game becomes easier this way because you've got more than just one brain working on problems and you can multitask, but it's still satisfying.

The few boss fights prove slightly disappointing. While visually impressive, they don't require the same thought as the rest of Trine 2. Merely crossing a chasm can be a real conundrum, but felling a giant beast is as simple as giving it a few whacks to its weak spots. I do love the way the bosses are foreshadowed early on in levels, though.

The-Wii-U-Difference5.jpg

Trine 2 on the Wii U is labeled a "Director's Cut," and rightly so – it further expands the adventures of Amadeus the Wizard, Pontius the Knight and Zoya the Thief by integrating the content of the Goblin Menace expansion right into the initial download. (See the trailer, embedded up above.) That download is a large one, though – much bulkier than any of the other Day 1 eShop-only releases in Nintendo's newest shop, so if you're planning to take the plunge, prepare to give up a bit more of your time to the downloading and installing process alongside a bigger chunk of your hard drive's free space.

That investment of time, space and 20 bucks' worth of your money is well worth it, though, because Trine 2 shines on Wii U. The visuals are lavishly detailed, with an organic, living beauty that you can choose to view either on your TV or off – the whole game can be played solely on the GamePad if you choose. A variety of control schemes is implemented for several controller configurations, too, and each has it own appeal – using the GamePad you can conjure the wizard's blocks and platforms into existence using the touch screen. If you use a Wii Remote and Nunchuk instead, though, pointing at objects to levitate them or aim Zoya's arrows becomes easier.

Trine 2's online multiplayer also worked out very well in my time testing it, though, as with any online game, you'll find better results if you coordinate with friends rather than jumping into games with strangers – because, should another player drop out of the session, your adventure is also immediately ended. So if you're looking to tackle Trine 2 as part of a player trio, I'd recommend making a plan to play with a couple of confirmed non-droppers ahead of time.

THE VERDICT

Trine 2 throws players into a dazzling fantasy world and gives them three fun characters – tools, really – with which to save it. It's delightfully open-ended, from how you solve problems to whether or not you go it alone. Fans of puzzle games will not be disappointed.

Trine 2: Director's Cut on Wii U

AMAZING

Trine 2's trio is back and looking better than ever in Wii U's Director's Cut.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2012/11/26/trine-2-directors-cut-review

NintendoWorldReport 9/10

Digital Chumps 9.4/10

Hardcore Gamer Magazine 4.5/5

Joel from Frozenbyte here - nice review, thanks. :)

We will indeed add Voice Chat in an update, and we will certainly add support for the Wii U Pro Controller as well. Both of these should come in the first update which we're planning for December.

Moreover... We will also do some magic to the game's visuals, so the game will look even better after the update. :) (So the game should look better on an SD TV too, although of course SD TV will never be optimal.)

- Joel, Frozenbyte team, developers of Trine 2: Director's Cut

Joel speaking on, how easy is it to get an update on the eShop? Is it a painful process, or is Nintendo pretty awesome about it?

Updates remain to be seen, but should be a breeze compared to other consoles, so we're very optimistic. :)

8234035108_5d9ce01a9a_z.jpg

http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/release-date/new-releases/wii-u/metascore?view=condensed&hardware=all

This is 1 of the highest rated games on Wii U and deserves some attention and positive promotion.

On a positive note, Frozenbyte have said sales have been good so far. Really hope it does well for them!

On a positive note, Frozenbyte have said sales have been good so far. Really hope it does well for them!

I hope it goes well too. They put alot of effort in and are working on improving it further via updates even after launch. It's one of the prettier launch games.

I hope it goes well too. They put alot of effort in and are working on improving it further via updates even after launch. It's one of the prettier launch games.

Absolutely! And they're looking in to upping the graphics and have more patches after this one by the sounds of it. They're trying hard to make this pretty good!

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/11/30/heres-the-top-20-games-purchased-on-wii-u-eshop/

Nintendo of America has revealed precisely which games players are purchasing on the North American Wii U eShop. Unsurprisingly New Super Mario Bros U and ZombiU are the two best-sellers, despite costing more to purchase digitally than at retail. Without further ado, here’s the top twenty games on the Wii U eShop.

1. New Super Mario Bros U

2. ZombiU

3. Trine 2: Director’s Cut

4. Nano Assault Neo

5. Sonic & All-Sars Racing Transformed

6. Scribblenauts Unlimited

7. Assassin’s Creed III

8. Little Inferno

9. Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition

10. Nintendo Land

11. Darksiders II

12. Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge

13. Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper

14. Madden NFL 13

15. Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two

16. Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition

17. Chasing Aurora

18. Just Dance 4

19. Rabbids Land

20. EA Sports FIFA Soccer 13

Glad to see Trine 2 doing so well!

I was originally planning on picking this up on Steam due to reports of the game not looking as great as it does on PC but after hearing Frozen Bytes update and how much effort they are putting into the title i think ill just drop the 10 bucks on the WiiU version instead. I prefer to have everything up on my HD tv to be fair so if they are willing to put in the extra work to make it perfect im willing to give them some cash.

This will be my next eShop purchase once I've found all the combos on Little Inferno.

Great to see this is clearly so popular in the Miiverse too.

Downloaded it on Saturday, but still tout played it. Have a gaming weekend this week so might save it for then.

I thought from the trailer it looked good but it's much better than the trailer portrayed. Great single and multiplayer, (even for beginners to gaming as one of my housemates is) and it is absolutely gorgeous.