NEurope
Retro_Link

Lego City: Undercover

I know you've already bashed it despite not having read it or even played the game but here is the Edge review.

I have to laugh at people calling them anti-Nintendo though because... well... it really shows where the true bias lies and if you still need a hint, it's not with Edge.

There also seems to be some confusion between the idea of low tech graphics and intentially primitive design. No one has slated the game for the latter as such and there seems to be a feeling that they should have followed through with that concept a bit stronger instead of intentionally limiting it to just people and vehicles - the word itself though seems to combine basic objects/models with a true to life asthetic and it does it no favours when the world itself doesn't have the natural vibrancy as given by previous source materials.

I do refuse to believe that it was ever a design choice to go with poor textures, close range pop up of collectable items, a questionable framerate and low resolution shadow maps. I can only assume they got rid of the awful screen tearing that was evident in almost all the trailers as I've not seen anyone cite that issue in the few reviews I've read.

Also have they removed some of the 'Nintendoness' from the game?...

At the end of the IGN Video Review where the guy gets kicked in the nuts... wasn't that where there was a Zelda fan-fare in an earlier trailer?

Whats with the long load times. That sux!!

I know GTA has a long load time at the start of play but that's about it and even that isn't 3 mins long. It sure doesn't have 1 min long ones to deal with each cutscene - that's Sonic '06 territory of bad. Seems a lot to ask from a child to me.

The more I read about the game, the less sure I am about who it's really aimed at. The movie references won't mean much to children as you don't get many kids watching ultra violent police movies. And yet no one is really praising the gameplay as knocking it out the park - it sounds like a normal Lego gameplay crossed with GTA style world/mission design but otherwise nothing that either didn't already do and ultimately failing to match it where it counts.

Whilst I always thought it looked a bit ropey graphically, I was impressed with the humour from the trailers and it looked like it might be fun if a bit vapid when played for any length. And that the impression I get from these reviews still. I really want to like the Lego games but I find they just aren't very good at holding my attention for any length of time.

Also, no shooting besides his grapple gun? They could have at least given him some kind of net gun that briefly incapacitates people or similar.

Whats with the long load times. That sux!!

Are they the worse loading times ever seen? Probably not. Fingers crossed loading times on games improve with the summer updates.

I know GTA has a long load time at the start of play but that's about it and even that isn't 3 mins long. It sure doesn't have 1 min long ones to deal with each cutscene - that's Sonic '06 territory of bad. Seems a lot to ask from a child to me.

From what I've read, the loading times are not that bad

It depends what you see as bad. 30 seconds at various times throughout the game seems pretty bad to me. Even GoNintendo ripped on it the other day. :D

I'm glad the screen tearing issue seems to have been resolved though, as that was my main issue with the game.

Then I suggest you actually go back and read that Metro review, because you clearly only read the blurb at the bottom when you attacked it for criticising the graphics as...

On top of this the game has the worst load times since the 1980s. It takes nearly three minutes from inserting to the disc to actually starting to play, and accessing Lego City takes well over a minute from exiting the police station hub or a mission.

The IGN review piles on top with...

A few other problems work against LEGO City Undercover. Loading times are not only too frequent but too long. It is not uncommon to endure several half-minute or minute loading screens within a very short timeframe. And nothing to mask this, whether through pre-loading or basically anything other than a horrifically dull white progression bar on the GamePad.

It definitely sounds like an issue to me and every review I've seen brings it up. Which reviews have you been reading?

What's the deal here?

LEGO® City Undercover - LEGO City® comes to life! The popular LEGO City vehicles and play sets come to life for the first time in the vast, open world of the LEGO City Undercover game. As police officer Chase McCain you are armed with clever disguises, special abilities, and the ultimate crime-fighting tool—the Wii U GamePad controller. With its indispensable map, communicator, and high-tech scanning device, the GamePad is just what you need to crack the case. Run, drive and even fly through the city to put a stop to the fiendish Rex Fury and end his crime wave once and for all. LEGO City Undercover will be available March 18 at retail stores and in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U. (You must have an external hard drive to download this software. Sold separately. Visit support.nintendo.com for information about storage options.)

It has no effect on me as I always go retail where I can, i'm just curious about this.

Is it because the game is so big in GB terms that it couldn't fit on the Wii U's internal memory? I mean I have about 25GB of space still on mine and the discs on the WiiU only hold about that much. They must be worried about Basic Console package owners.

Is it because the game is so big in GB terms that it couldn't fit on the Wii U's internal memory? I mean I have about 25GB of space still on mine and the discs on the WiiU only hold about that much. They must be worried about Basic Console package owners.

Another reason why the basic model needs to be done away with.

It definitely sounds like an issue to me and every review I've seen brings it up. Which reviews have you been reading?

If it was THAT bad and effected the experience THAT much, it wouldn't be getting 9's and 8's. End of.

So the general consensus is that LEGO City is a decent enough game with some irritating frame rate and load time issues.

I think every software starved Wii U owner out there can temporarily breathe a collective sigh of relief.

If it was THAT bad and effected the experience THAT much, it wouldn't be getting 9's and 8's. End of.

This is what I'm finding the most strange myself; it's apparently got some huge gapes in it yet it's still topping 7 around the place! What would it have got without them?!

This is what I'm finding the most strange myself; it's apparently got some huge gapes in it yet it's still topping 7 around the place! What would it have got without them?!

A better score!

Then I suggest you actually go back and read that Metro review, because you clearly only read the blurb at the bottom when you attacked it for criticising the graphics as...

The IGN review piles on top with...

I was referring to the hyperbolic statement that you have to wait 1 minute for each cutscene

I wasn't arguing the subjective quality of a loading times ability to interrupt gameplay and the consequences there of. As long as they are not too often or to long, I don't mind them really. I was merely reitterating that the loading times do exist and they are as long as I had said.

I was quoting a post that claimed them to be not that bad in reviews that had been read by the user and yet I easily found reviews that attributed actual times to said sequences and were not debateable - they were the source for my post infact. I wasn't just plucking times out of thin air.

Whether they annoy you or not, who's to say - it's a personal thing. Stating that the game takes almost 3 mins to load from the off and features load screens of 30 secs to a minute for each cutscene isn't - it's a matter of fact. But I'd lean on it being a bit beyond their tolerance threshold of a younger child who I'd imagine to be the target for this kind of game. I could easily see a child hitting the reset or power button on that initial load thinking that it wasn't working properly - even with a progress bar on screen.

I was referring to the hyperbolic statement that you have to wait 1 minute for each cutscene

But I cited two sources claiming they are that long in length and of the few other revies out there, none are claiming them to be quick.

Eurogamer:

The biggest blemish, though, is the load times when moving between level interiors and the open world - these are weirdly long and the only time the game loses your attention, with not even a set of amusing tooltips to distract you.

I'm just relaying what all the reviews are stating - that the game does feature long loading. You claim it not to be the case and say you haven't read any one mention it when every review mentions it.

I find the PC like 'loading' progress bar on the GamePad particularly annoying! :p

Why not make it something fun out of Lego bricks or something!

Edited by Retro_Link

No offscreen play?! This is not something I'm happy with, it's why I've not played ZombiU all that much!

I almost exclusively game off the Gamepad screen!

No offscreen play?! This is not something I'm happy with, it's why I've not played ZombiU all that much!

I almost exclusively game off the Gamepad screen!

The game is using the GamePad for other, better, functions though.

I'd rather they have the option for offscreen play in there than it not be in there though. When my flatmate is watching tv I game on the Gamepad. Offscreen play is the biggest selling point for the console for me (other than Mario, Metroid and Zelda of course).

Scanning being better than co-op is questionable!

And surely in co-op Player 2 would just take the scanning role instead!?

OK, it's insane the amount of hype and exposure this game is getting now, it's just a shame it's another 2 weeks from release. When's it State-side?

Edit, 18th.

Good momentum for the US launch then. I've actually turned up my hardware sales expectations a notch off the back of the buzz.

Edited by madeinbeats

So the general consensus is that LEGO City is a decent enough game with some irritating frame rate and load time issues.

I think every software starved Wii U owner out there can temporarily breathe a collective sigh of relief.

My feeling exactly. Long loading times aren't great, but at the moment I couldn't care less. I just want something decent to play on my Wii U :weep:. Right now, I'm starting to regret buying one, especially as I read something about a price drop this week.