NEurope
Retro_Link

Nintendo Land

Do we know anything about the control schemes for all these games.

Just wondering how many nunchucks will be needed really. Somehow I got by on the Wii only having one! But is everyone who isn't playing with the GamePad in this gonna need both for most games do we think, or will it be Wiimotes on their side or something?

Do we know anything about the control schemes for all these games.

Just wondering how many nunchucks will be needed really. Somehow I got by on the Wii only having one! But is everyone who isn't playing with the GamePad in this gonna need both for most games do we think, or will it be Wiimotes on their side or something?

Most just require the Wiimote on its side I believe. Out of the ones we know about, only Metroid Blast and Zelda Battle Quest require the Nunchuck (they also happen to require Motionplus BTW!)

Edited by Dcubed

Cheers!

Yeah that's fine I've got the Gold Remote Plus and an additional Motion Plus.

There'll probably be very few occasions where I'd play Zelda & Metroid in multiplayer anyway, so I might be alright then.

Nintendo should link loads of Game Parks up in some way...

So your Mii jumps on a Train Station at Nintendo land, followed by a short cutscene, and upon entering a tunnel you are prompted to change discs...

Put in 'Pokemon Land' and it boots up you leaving the tunnel and arriving at the Pokemon 'Nintendo Land' theme park.

Put in 'Animal Crossing U' and the Train and your Mii arrive at Animal Crossing!

Even better would be if you loaded all your games onto a Hard Drive so you didn't have to change discs and could just selected your next game destination! A whole Game world for Miiverse to interact in!

Brilliant idea. What I'd like them to do is, just before the release of a new game, say one month before, to encourage enthusiasm for a future product, is to release an additional 'attraction' via DLC (preferably free). So, if a Star Fox game were to be released, make me excited for a by adding to NintendoLand's attractions Nintendo. Do it, you know you want to.

Like canand above me, I too will be purchasing the ZombiU Pack and NintendoLand Separately.

ZombiU Pack, NintendoLand and CoD Blops separately for me.

Metroid_Other_M_Federation_Soldiers.jpg

I agree.

I advise to play Other M as a 2D game. If you treat it as that and don't think of moving as you normally would in a 3D world then it clicks and all starts working. It's a great game if you treat it as you would a 2D game.

Kav is 100% correct. I got half way through the game and hadn't really understood it was a 2D game played in a 3D setting. I moaning, Kav put me right and I started enjoying the game an awful lot more. I then replayed the game multiple times as when I knew what I was doing it was really good. I still had the odd niggle and it certainly wasn't up to the quality of the Prime games, but it was still fantastic.

Basically, if you're running upward at an angle, just push up. It really is that simple.

Can we keep Metroid Other M talk to that games thread please.

Thank you!

I came back to this thread for each new post the last 12 hours, hoping for more Nintendo Land talk, and was disappointed each time. But I see how and why the thread took that direction, and I agree with the analogue-is-the-only-way-for-3D-games argument.

Christ I wish this was online, I wont have anyone to try all these games out with. Screw Nintendo and their dumb decisions

Donkey Kong's Crash Course was by far my favourite out of the 5 attractions I tried at Eurogamer. I hope it gets plenty of levels in the full game.

I spent quite a lot of time playing Nintendoland today at the Play Expo. Before I played it I wasn't quite sure whether it would be something I would really enjoy. I was also a little unsure as to whether it would sell the Wii U as well as Nintendo are hoping it will. However after a lengthy session with five of the different attractions most of my fears have been vanquished.

The attractions on offer were Donkey Kong's Crash Course, Ninja Castle, Animal Crossing: Sweet Day, Luigi's Ghost Mansion and Zelda Battle Quest. I'll give my impressions for each separately in roughly the order I played them.

Luigi's Ghost Mansion

This game is fantastic. Once you've played this one game you can immediately see just how the tablet can be used to create innovative and fun new experiences which feel totally fresh and different. When playing as the ghost you genuinely feel isolated and tense. You must use a stealthy and sneaky approach and position yourself so you can take out each ghost hunter when they are alone. It's a feeling I couldn't compare to any other game I've played with a group of people locally. It's such a simple idea but is very fun. The ghost hunters are forced to work together and to conserve the power for their torches meaning that a reasonable amount of skill needs to be employed in order to catch the ghost. It's such a simple idea but is a lot of fun and has great levels of hidden depth.

Zelda Battle Quest

This game was fun but felt slightly disappointing and a little limited. Two players were using the sword and were hacking their way through enemies using Wii Motion Plus to deliver carefully angled blows whilst the third player used the tablet to aim a bow and arrow and provide cover and pick off enemy snipers. It controls well, but sadly it's on rails so rather than having any freedom of movement to explore the beautiful patchwork world you are stuck on a set path admiring the scenery from afar. I felt this game would have been better if everyone could have moved freely.

Animal Crossing: Sweet Day

This is a little like Luigi's Ghost Mansion and is another game that is just a total blast to play. Four players run around collecting treats from the trees whilst the player with the tablet tries to catch them. The twist is that the more treats a player collects the slower that player runs - making it easier for the guards to catch them. If a player is being chased they can throw away the treats they collected to make their escape and move more quickly. It's very fun and presents the players being chased with a great dilemma - do you hold onto that candy and risk getting caught or do you give up what you've collected and make your escape? The players need to cooperate well together in order to beat the player with the tablet and again, a very simple idea is executed very well and presents a fresh and fun experience.

Ninja Castle

This game is essentially a shooting gallery - but with a twist. You control the speed of your ninja stars by how fast you run your finger over the touch screen. The quicker you move your finger the faster and further your ninja star will travel. I loved the art style of this game and was impressed by the way that every subtle movement you made impacted on the speed and aim of your ninja stars. My only worry with this game is how many levels there will be, I hope it presents a good challenge and manages to successfully build on the idea presented.

Donkey Kong's Crash Course

This game was my favourite of the ones I played from Nintendoland. It is probably one of the finest and deepest puzzle games I've played in recent times. You control a small springy car as it travels through a complex course of ramps, jumps, draw bridges and lifts. the more you tilt the pad the faster the car moves - but don't go too fast or the car will break into pieces if it hits a wall or fails to land on a platform correctly. This game was infuriating at first, but you just had to go back for another try. The game is also timed, so if you want a good score you need to think about being careful as well as being swift. The game perfectly demonstrated the motion controls in the tablet. This game would be worth a purchase as a standalone budget title - it's just fiendishly clever, addictive and challenging. I really hope this comes with plenty of levels.

Overall I was impressed by Nintendoland, but that doesn't mean I don't have issues with it. I really like the single player games will allow you to compare your high scores via the Miiverse, I think that will add a lot to the longevity of the title - I'm particularly looking forward to seeing Donkey Kong speed runs! However, I'm very disappointed that the multiplayer only games can't be played online. There's just no excuse for this anymore. I realise they're better played with a group of friends gathered together on a sofa, but we don't all have the luxury of being able to get four friends around regularly. Online play is just far more convenient for most people and as it's not included I feel that there are certain attractions in Nintendoland I'll probably rarely (if ever) play. That aspect alone diminishes what is on the whole a really innovative and well put together package of mini-games.

I can't wait to play Luigi's Ghost Mansion and just the game in general. I wasn't sold on it to start with but can't wait for it now. It really does seem like the Wii Sports of Wii U. The graphics also remind me of Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, which is a good thing.

A few new vids for some minigames.

Here's a bunch of details for a few of the games.

Captain Falcon's Twister Race

- tilting the GamePad from a vertical position steers your craft

- racing to survive, not against other racers

- ghost of your previous race will appear

- top-down view on GamePad

- more traditional view on TV

- make sharp turns and avoid obstacles

- entering tunnels will block your view

Yoshi's Fruit Cart

- get Yoshi to a door that will only unlock once you've collected all of the fruit that's set out on a map

- control your 'Yoshi Cart' by drawing a path on the GamePad's screen

- when your path reaches the door, the game prompts you to let Yoshi begin

- GamePad doesn't display the fruit, just the basic map

- TV won't show the path you've sketched out

- both screens use textures and shapes that exist on the map's background to guide your path

- if you reach the door without all of your fruit, it won't open

- this results in you losing a life

- roughly 50 stages to complete

- obstacles like moving fruit, holes and more

- 'fast travel' to later levels once you've reached them

Octopus Dance

- single player

- use the GamePad's analog sticks and gyroscope to match the Game & Watch diver's movements

- diver will also shift your Mii's position

- Mario Chase, Luigi's Ghost Mansion and Animal Crossing: Sweet Day's levels will scale depending on how many players are present

- Mario Chase levels retain their themes no matter how many players

- if you're just playing with two players, the 'chaser' will be accompanied by two AI-based Yoshi carts

- in the same situation with Luigi's Ghost Mansion, Monita grabs a flashlight and enters the fray

- Monita will only patrol basic routes and will turn off its flashlight if your Luigi Mii approaches

- Animal Crossing Sweet Day features two levels to play in

- when playing just two-player, the GamePad player instantly gains an advantage by having two characters to the other person's one

- in this case, the gamer seeking candy no longer retains his prizes

- instead, the player deposits them in various bins around the map

- Pikmin Adventure features a 16-level Challenge Mode (1-5 players) and a 3-level Versus Mode (2-5 players)

- Takamaru's Ninja Castle lets you collect scrolls that allow for new weapons, like clay bombs

- there are also boss battles in this game

- Zelda's Battle Quest has a Time Attack mode meant for a single player

- there are three archery-based levels to master

- 20 levels in Metroid Blast's core 1-5 player Assault Mode

- also has Ground battles that each have their own five stages designed for multiple players

- the Pachinko-esque Coin Game lets you spend coins earned in attractions to win prizes that will populate the plaza of Nintendo Land

- Some of those prizes can only be won when you've unlocked them by playing their respective attractions

- Miiverse will apparently tie to Nintendo Land with some form of online leaderboards

- features in-game achievements

- you can earn criteria-specific stamps, high score trophies in the single player games, or 'Master Rank' stars

- only two modes within Nintendo Land require Wii MotionPlus - controlling a ground-based character in Metroid Blast, and controlling a sword-wielding character in Zelda: Battle Quest

Octopus Dance looks a bit meh, Yoshi's Fruit Cart COULD be interesting but F-Zero looks awesome. Shame it can't be controlled via analogue stick

Zelda's controls still bug me...pushing the right stick down to aim...I so hope there's another option

Octopus Dance looks a bit meh, Yoshi's Fruit Cart COULD be interesting but F-Zero looks awesome. Shame it can't be controlled via analogue stick

Zelda's controls still bug me...pushing the right stick down to aim...I so hope there's another option

I agree with you on the 3 new games (the tunnels blocking the Gamepad view in Twister Race is a stroke of genius!) but if you think about the way the Gamepad is being held, the decision to have the craft controlled by tilt the best choice as the analog sticks would be too awkward to use in that position (and Stylus touch controls would obscure your view of the map)

They could always have you hold the Gamepad in its normal position I guess, but that would mean that you wouldn't be able to see as much of the map as you would do in landscape mode (and that is the main point of the Gamepad in this game...)

Octopus Dance looks too basic to have much lasting value though (even though I think it's a cool use of the Gamepad)

I wonder how each of these games incorporate co-op play...

BTW, I really like this trend of seeing Wii U games offering different perspectives of the game. That's something that they didn't do as much as I would've liked on the DS.

Edited by Dcubed

All three of those new games look pretty meh to me.

I don't understand how going into a tunnel on F-Zero will affect the gameplay at all, when you'll be looking at the TV and not the Gamepad the whole time anyway? Looks kinda slow, lonely and boring.

Yoshi's fruit cart looks like you could completed pretty easily through trial and error.

And that dancing game just looks like one not to bother with at all no?

Think I'll be giving this game a miss to be honest. None of the games seem like my kind of thing and I rarely have people round to play with. Luigi's Ghost Mansion was fun when I played it at PlayExpo, but I can see it getting boring really fast.

All three of those new games look pretty meh to me.

I don't understand how going into a tunnel on F-Zero will affect the gameplay at all, when you'll be looking at the TV and not the Gamepad the whole time anyway? Looks kinda slow, lonely and boring.

Yoshi's fruit cart looks like you could completed pretty easily through trial and error.

And that dancing game just looks like one not to bother with at all no?

Totally with you on that one.

F-Zero looks like Mario Kart Wii but slower and with nothing going on - I fail to see what this has to do with F-Zero or Captain Falcon beyond sticking the Mii in a clockwork toy version of the racer. I sincerely hope this has no bearing on the future direction for the series.

I understand holding it vertically allows you to draw more of the upcoming track further ahead but look how slowly the thing goes. At the moment, it goes at such a pace that you don't need to be looking at what's coming up as it takes so long to get there. And should the pace magically reach an appropriate F-Zero speed then, as you say, you shouldn't have time to look at the pad anyway as you'll be focusing on the screen. The fact that you hold it that way would also imply you have no control over the speed either unless that's also handled by the tilting which would be incredibly awkward.

If they really had to include it then fine - but don't try and dress it up as being something F-Zero related when it clearly isn't and they have other names they could have attached it too.

Neither of the other two games looked impressive either. Yoshi in particularly looks like obvious filler to me sporting all the production values of a mini game destined for Mario Paint to be controlled with the SNES mouse.

The ign video of fzero looks a bit better. Also, do you guys even know Nintendo games? Do you not think there's a possibility that the game starts slow, then gets faster and faster? A lot of hands on reports speak of Nintendoland as ramping up the difficulty pretty sharpish.

And personally I think yoshi s looks okay, though it could get print pretty quickly. But I quite like the idea.but again, if its anything like the other attractions, I'd imagine there'd be more to it and modes then that. I reckon it'll be a pretty extensive puzzle game.