NEurope
Cheapshot

The best console this generation.

What do you think has been the best console this gen?  

104 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think has been the best console this gen?

• Playstation 2
    • GameCube
    • Xbox

With next-gen looming I thought now would be a good time to make a thread of which console this gen has been best overall.

You should say what you chose and why you chose it - please no flaming.

As much as I hate to say it; I'd have to say the PS2 because of Square-Enix mainly and the PS2's army of brilliant third-party games.

Well what do you guys and gals think?

I'd have to say Cube. And before everone laughs let em tell you why.

Because this generation, the Cube has given me some of the best games I ever played, I enjoyed it soo much (and still enjoy it even today) To me its been one hell of a ride and it was worth every cent.

Though I would have to say PS2 probably did better qua sales etc etc. But to me personally the Cube would be best. Cause if PS2 or Xbox had anything to offer me, then I would have gotten either of them instead of Cube.

So to me personal its Cube. But If there was liek an award or something it would probably go to PS2.

0_0 Actually the Cube made console of the year quite a few times, but I dont know how official that was n_n.

Its Square-Enix and 3rd party support tha makes PS2 good, IMO, Its Nintendo themselves that make the Cube good 0_0

Thats my opinion thanks n_n

--Ray

It depends totally on what you mean exactly. If you're talking about best actual console looking at nothing else then only the xbox can win as it's the most powerful. Fact.

If you're including controller, console, games and everything in then I'd definitely go for the cube. It's had the most exciting, interesting and varied game exclusives this gen in my opinion.

Edit - dude sorry, didn't see you'd put in 'overall' at the top. Ignore the start bit of my post.

PS2 all the way; it has provided me with more play time than any of the other two.

I bought my GC first; enjoyed it for a couple of weeks, but only games to really catch my attention and stand out as must haves were Luigi's Mansion, REmake and resi 4, Wind Waker and possibly Metroid Prime. Other than that, the gaming line up on the GC has been very much lacklustre(imo). The GC hasn't been touched in months.

I owned an xbox for three weeks following the launch of Halo 2; overrated piece of FPS crap. The first was a lot better, but even that didn't live up to my expectations. Fable severely let me down, and the follow up to this was a quick sale through the bargain pages.

However, the PS2 is played at least once a week thanks to the greatest football series ever, PES. GTA 3, San Andreas and Vice City stand out as some of the best games of this generation(and before anyone says, but they're out on xbox-they were PS first so I class it as that) and warrant a brief killing spree every now and then, and squares RPG might has made it home to many a magic journey(KH, FFX) and the amazing .Hack series from bandai, which I am addicted to(anime, manga, games, OVA...you name it-i like it).

Xbox due to the online service and power but the cube definately gave me the most fun

Xbox live really saved the Xbox huh?

Looks like the GameCube is pulling away here - it comes at a close second of my favorite current gen console.

Very hard. My opinion has swayed greatly over the years, it went:

Ps2 > GameCube > Xbox

GameCube > Xbox > Ps2

GameCube > Ps2 > Xbox

PS2 > GameCube > Xbox

And now:

Ps2> Xbox > GameCube

Xbox has Halo 2. Halo 2 and the Xbox have been my most worthwhile purchases this generation, so it gets my vote. Reluctantly.

I voted PS2, as tbh it has had the widest selection of games, a constant decent release schedule, and a free online service (although it's got nothing on xbox live).

I got my PS2 quite late into this generation, and I wished I had picked it up alot earlier so I would of had the time to sample some of the delights including Kingdom Hearts, the Socom series and FFX & X2 (got them two sitting next to my PS2 waiting to be played).

I just started playing Project Zero 2 lastnite aswell................very chilling game.

It's a damn hard decision because each damn console has such a fine catalogue of games over the years.

While the Cube had my fave game of this generation so far (Resident Evil 4), I'd probably have to say PS2. It may be the weakest in power of the three but it has had the most game time from me and it has a fantastic 3rd party and 1st party support of games.

Katamari Damacy, Gitaroo Man, Ico, God Of War, Suikoden III, Devil May Cry, Disgaea, Metel Gear Solid 3, Shadow Hearts: Covenant, Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution are some of the games I've enjoyed over the years and there are still more coming.

We Love Katamari, Shadow of the Colossus, Soul Calibur 3, Fatal Frame III, Suikoden V, Suikoden Tactics, Okami, Final Fantasy XII. Things like this make me happy I bought a PS2 for Xmas in 2002.

I have gone with cube as its given me the most fun and taken all my money bless it 46 games cost alot ya know.

A question so impossible to answer I declare this poll null. Not only that, I also declare it void. Yes, so it's null AND void! Ha! Stick that in your conflakes and snort it.

A question so impossible to answer I declare this poll null. Not only that' date=' I also declare it void. Yes, so it's null AND void! Ha! Stick that in your conflakes and snort it.[/quote']

Impossible for you maybe, sheesh...

Don't take it personally. 'Twas not a slur on your fine postage.

But yes, it is impossible for me to answer, as I can neither claim exclusive allegiance to one or shun another.

I would like to say this, though. Halo > Halo 2, as Halo 2 felt unfinished.

I would like to say this' date=' though. Halo > Halo 2, as Halo 2 felt unfinished.[/quote']

Try playing Halo 2, then go back to Halo CE and see what feels/looks unfinished. Halo 1's graphics are pathetic compared to Halo 2.

I voted for Gamecube. The PS2 I never really liked, and I was tempted to vote Xbox, but I was looking in blockbuster the other day to rent a game or two, and when I looked at the selection, bar one or two games, it wasn't really that good.

Gamecube, though, as remained consitant throughout the generation. It may have lost alot of 3rd party support, but it does have some pretty damn good exclusives, such as Metroid Prime 1&2, Super Mario Sunshine, SSBM, LoZ: Wind Waker, F-Zero GX, MK:DD etc. So I had no choice, really. GC it is.

Try playing Halo 2, then go back to Halo CE and see what feels/looks unfinished. Halo 1's graphics are pathetic compared to Halo 2.

Your point being? Yes, the graphics in Halo are inferior, but at least they loaded up when they needed to. This is especially evident in the cut-scenes Halo 2. It ruins the experience. Not only that, but the guns in Halo are far, far better than the guns in Halo 2.

Xbox Live has no real console competitor at the moment.

Halo 2 is excellent (more so than Halo).

Edit: The guns in Halo are better than in Halo 2?

As far as I recall as soon as everyone had a pistol they didn't bother with anything else.

It is quite ovious that Gamecube will win on these boards.

He speaks the truth.

Edit: Come on Link, I'm sure the Gamecube hardcore take the odd trip over here. They'll probably even start a thread saying everyone should visit this thread and vote to make sure it wins.

Gamecube for me. It is quite ovious that Gamecube will win on these boards.

Not when it's posted in the rivals section, where quite a lot of people have more than one console.