NEurope
Hero-of-Time

The Wonderful 101

content-4-36126-thewonderful101remasteredbanner.jpg

The Wonderful 101: Remastered Kickstarter launched and funded within hours

Reporting at after 01:01 in the morning? It's worth it for news this wonderful. :D

Did a little write-up about it all because I felt like it and the game deserves the publicity. :peace:

Here's hoping that now that game will be available across three new platforms that it will get the chance to shine that it never really got on the Wii U. :smile:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It'll be interesting to see how much better this will do compared to the performance on WiiU, which was nowhere near wonderful. (Stop groaning!)

I thought the game was a bit of a chore to play. Bosses were good, but everything else was dull.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's crazy that this flew by all of its original Kickstarter goals within the first 2 to 3 hours. It's now sitting at over $1 million and still growing which is insane.

How it'll translate beyond the Kickstarter to sales will be interesting as I suspect that a lot of the people who would be interested in buying will be backing it already and with how niche the title is, it's one of those things that isn't going to garner a huge amount of attention beyond the good will that being a Platinum title remastered post Nier Automata will bring. Unless a publishing partner jumps in to handle a wider release of the physical side of things (which I'm dubious about but I suspect they've spoken at length with Iga and his experience with Bloodstained and have been put in touch with the likes of 505 Games for potential publishing relations), the Kickstarter may be the only way to get physical as I can see them pushing the digital release more because it'll simply cost less for them to do that. As I said, they may end up working with the likes of 505 Games on a wider release slate for the game but we'll see.

I'm curious what the rest of their announcements will be. This was the first of 4 they have coming. I'd imagine that 2 of the others will be Babylon's Fall and Bayonetta 3 respectively (whether they tie Bayonetta 3 into being the third announcement or not is to be seen but I imagine they might). People are wondering whether, because of the font being used for their 4 announcements, they might be setting up to announce another game in the Nier/Drakengard series. Given the performance of Nier Automata, I would be shocked if Square Enix didn't want to follow that up with Yoko Taro and Platinum but again, that's just what people are hoping it'll be.

Anyway, cool to see it doing well with the Kickstarter. Interesting that Nintendo were ok with letting them bring it to other platforms, seeing as they own part of the licence (which it turns out is the same deal with Astral Chain, Nintendo owns 50% of that IP), though I doubt they'll be kicking themselves for not funding the port just yet as backer numbers are one thing, sales will be the big question mark on release.

It’s gone over the $1,000,000 dollars now, in just over 12 hours. So the first stretch goal of a Time Attack mode is completed.

@Ganepark32 I don't think Nier or Bayonetta will be part of the 'Platinum 4', Nier will be published by Square and Bayo by Nintendo - I thought all of their announcements would be brand new and self published. We know for sure that Bayonetta 3 is on the way and as you said Nier is a no-brainer after the success of Automata. Babylon's Fall also falls into that category given it was announced in Square's E3 event. 

I'm pretty sure the next few announcements will be brand new IP, remasters or sequels to earlier games (likely Vanquish)

17 hours ago, Ronnie said:

A bit weird to have a Kickstarter for $50k isn't it? That's like 1000-1500 people worth of sales.

Anyway I played this on Wii U and really loved it. It was quite unpolished but the gameplay and campaign were a lot of fun.

EDIT: Sorry, just seen 50k is only for Switch and it needs to get to 500k for them to do a PS4 version.

That Switch version is already done and has been done for ages.  It's due to release in just a couple of months even.  This is just a way for Platinum to fund the publishing costs of a retail version and to promote the game.

This is what Platinum have wanted to do ever since they founded their company.  The whole reason why they left Capcom in the first place was because they wanted to forge their own path and go it alone.  Platinum have been fighting for their independence ever since the very beginning; and now? They're finally making their dreams a reality by jumping into the world of self-publishing.

4 hours ago, killthenet said:

@Ganepark32 I don't think Nier or Bayonetta will be part of the 'Platinum 4', Nier will be published by Square and Bayo by Nintendo - I thought all of their announcements would be brand new and self published. We know for sure that Bayonetta 3 is on the way and as you said Nier is a no-brainer after the success of Automata. Babylon's Fall also falls into that category given it was announced in Square's E3 event. 

I'm pretty sure the next few announcements will be brand new IP, remasters or sequels to earlier games (likely Vanquish)

I could definitely see Viewtiful Joe Remastered being one of the Platinum 4... Capcom did allow Grasshopper to remaster Killer 7 on PC, so it doesn't seem much of a stretch to think that Capcom would allow the original VJ developers to remaster VJ too!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

I've decided to back the Kickstarter, just the basic pledge for the physical edition without extras.

I've been enjoying a lot of Platinum's work lately (Astral Chain, Bayonetta 1 and 2 and Nier:Automata is on my Steam wishlist). What I've seen and read about The W101 looks very likeable.

I also never backed something before, so I'm quite interested in the process and this is a fairly safe one to back as it is basically just a pre-order.

• Like 4

Nice one @Vileplume2000. I’ve done the same as you. I figured I would be picking up the game anyway as they seem pretty reliable (& the Switch version was virtually complete anyway) and I enjoy Platinum’s games and this is just a small way of supporting them, and hopefully opening Nintendo’s eyes to their importance / popularity.

Edited by WackerJr
  • Like 2

The Kickstarter is ending soon, but they managed to hit the 2 million stretch goal:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm pretty sure it'll hit the $2.25 million stretch goal, the next one is probably too far though - even if there is a late surge it looks out of reach.

Given that they already came out and said the Kickstarter wasn't about raising funds but gauging interest I wonder if they'll meet the locked goals in patches down the road.

I got my email asking for my address, so I guess we're getting close to shipping. The website still says april, but I thought I saw a may date for the EU/UK cover. We'll see!

Something went wrong with the first survey, but they've resent it now.

Physical version has been delayed.

PlatinumGames has delayed the physical retail edition of The Wonderful 101: Remastered for PlayStation 4 and Switch from its previously planned late May release date to June 30 in North America and July 3 in Europe due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the developer announced.

The digital editions will launch on the same date as originally planned: May 19 in North America and May 22 in Europe. In addition to PlayStation 4 and Switch, The Wonderful 101: Remastered will also be available for PC via Steam.

Yep, received a mail about the Kickstarter as well. That's estimated to ship late June (which means there's a chance they will be arriving after the retail release is in the stores). You do get a Steam key as compensation though for the Kickstarter delay.

Got my copy just now! No import duties or taxes or whatsoever. 

• Like 1

Quick question, are you required to revisit missions later to do everything? Had a burning building in the first real mission, but couldn't figure out how to save the people there.

16 hours ago, Sméagol said:

Quick question, are you required to revisit missions later to do everything? Had a burning building in the first real mission, but couldn't figure out how to save the people there.

Nope. They're all dead now, and you have to live with their suffering.

• Haha 1
  • Weird 1

5 hours ago, bob said:

Nope. They're all dead now, and you have to live with their suffering.

Well, I'm a sadist.. So that's not going to be a problem.

On 28/07/2020 at 9:56 AM, Sméagol said:

Got my copy just now! No import duties or taxes or whatsoever. 

Ok, that makes me a little more optimistic.  I received an email yesterday saying my copy has now been dispatched (although it did include that note about Yetee not being responsible for any import taxes, etc outside of the US), so I guess I’ll find out soon if I’m going to have an additional charge.

6 hours ago, WackerJr said:

Ok, that makes me a little more optimistic.  I received an email yesterday saying my copy has now been dispatched (although it did include that note about Yetee not being responsible for any import taxes, etc outside of the US), so I guess I’ll find out soon if I’m going to have an additional charge.

Don't forget I'm from The netherlands though. Technically, it should have been charged. But it's Summer, post-lockdown, in the middle of a Corona crisis thingy (or so I've been told), I wouldn't be surprised if our national postal services (.. or whoever delivered it to my home, I don't know actually) has their hands full, and this bubblewrap envelope containing an item with a value of 50 euros was so low priority they decided to skip it. Wouldn't be the first time. But it doesn't happen often over here.

• Like 1

On 01/08/2020 at 6:03 PM, Sméagol said:

Don't forget I'm from The netherlands though. Technically, it should have been charged. But it's Summer, post-lockdown, in the middle of a Corona crisis thingy (or so I've been told), I wouldn't be surprised if our national postal services (.. or whoever delivered it to my home, I don't know actually) has their hands full, and this bubblewrap envelope containing an item with a value of 50 euros was so low priority they decided to skip it. Wouldn't be the first time. But it doesn't happen often over here.

Ah that makes a lot of sense.  Good to know they do at least have their priorities straight over with you in The Netherlands & you rightly didn’t have to pay.  I’m still waiting, but with that reasoning I’m fully expecting to be charged the full postage then...! 🙁 (I’m not going to criticise our Royal Mail though, as to be fair I think they’ve done a good job throughout this whole pandemic & it’s not their fault that I, and many others, failed to read the fine fine print from those Kickstarter t&c’s).

A demo has been released, giving easy access to Wonder-Bayonetta. Also, it's about two hours long!