NEurope
Hero-of-Time

The Wonderful 101

One of the best games on the Wii U. The last battle music is infinitely listenable. I often throw it on at work to brighten up mundane day to day tasks.

What's the difficulty on this game like? I'm intrigued after all the positive reviews, but as a gamer with limited time the comparisons to Viewtiful Joe are quite off-putting...

What's the difficulty on this game like? I'm intrigued after all the positive reviews, but as a gamer with limited time the comparisons to Viewtiful Joe are quite off-putting...

I have limited time to game so played it on V.Easy to see all of the content. Still died a few times but it was the perfect difficulty for me. Allowed me to pick it up in quick bursts. Brilliant game. Really sold me on Playinum as a developer. Can't wait for Bayo 1&2 now.

My time with the game was spent on Normal and I switched to Easy any time the game was continually reaming me. I remember that happening fairly often in the later stages.

I was more in it for the absurd story, characters and fun gameplay than some ridiculously intense challenge.

Started playing it today, so far on "Mission 012" and so far the game completely sucks (other than the music). I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, I can't tell what's going on on-screen and I'm constantly attacked by enemies that are off-screen. I bought a block ability which works sometimes, but I can't figure any way to successfully avoid getting hit and some enemies seem to regain all their health after their hit you once.

Started playing it today, so far on "Mission 012" and so far the game completely sucks (other than the music). I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, I can't tell what's going on on-screen and I'm constantly attacked by enemies that are off-screen. I bought a block ability which works sometimes, but I can't figure any way to successfully avoid getting hit and some enemies seem to regain all their health after their hit you once.

I recommend sticking with it, I hated it at first (check some of my earlier posts in the thread) for the same reason you did... but then it clicked.

Once it clicked, it all made sense. The calamity happening on screen was suddenly as clear as day... and the game became amazing! I knew exactly when to block, dodge, attack, pull off insane combos... it's like Neo awakening in The Matrix! Haha

The game is fabulous!

Edited by Kav

W101 rewards patience at the beginning.

My top tip would be to use the right stick to draw the shapes and be aware you don't need to rush through drawing them. Once the stick is moved, time slows down to allow you to draw fairly precisely. That said, the game is pretty forgiving of the shapes and will usually complete the Unite Morph as long as what you draw somewhat resembles the intended form.

Another tip would also be to use the camera button to fix your zoom level as sometimes it can pull out a bit too far.

Definitely give these a watch to see what the game is capable of.

I know it seems like a lot, and the game does a terrible job of explaining this stuff, but those videos should be the goddamn tutorial.

Bodacious article, Mr Bogus. I was always interested in the development history of W101.

3 minutes ago, Ike said:

That goal seems quite low, not going to be long before that is hit.

Yeah, I think a Switch version is pretty much a guarantee.

7 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah, I think a Switch version is pretty much a guarantee.

Yup, it's hit it already.

There's no danger of it not hitting the 500k goal for PS4 either. Seems like it should be a pretty quick turnaround to release too, especially for Switch. 

I don't think it's for me though, I've watched a few gameplay videos (both at release and recently) and I just don't see the appeal. Will possibly pick it up in a sale at some point but I'm not ready to spend £40-£50 on it

I backed it. :D

I don't really have the money for it but they won't take money for the pledges until March and I really want to support this wonderful game. (again) ;)

Besides, £35 for a physical Switch copy of the game? Plus all planned dlc for free? It works out cheaper to buy than if Nintendo had financed it themselves.

And this way, at least a lot more people will get to experience The Wonderful 101 which can only be a good thing. :cool:

A bit weird to have a Kickstarter for $50k isn't it? That's like 1000-1500 people worth of sales.

Anyway I played this on Wii U and really loved it. It was quite unpolished but the gameplay and campaign were a lot of fun.

EDIT: Sorry, just seen 50k is only for Switch and it needs to get to 500k for them to do a PS4 version.

Edited by Ronnie

At this rate, it's going to make the 500k required for the PS4 version as well before the night is out, it's at almost 350k already.

7 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

A bit weird to have a Kickstarter for $50k isn't it? That's like 1000-1500 people worth of sales.

Anyway I played this on Wii U and really loved it. It was quite unpolished but the gameplay and campaign were a lot of fun.

EDIT: Sorry, just seen 50k is only for Switch and it needs to get to 500k for them to do a PS4 version.

Yeah I mentioned the same somewhere else. Plus the release is in April. Which means the Switch release is happening regardless of this Kickstarter.. But it's still a useful tool to gauge interest.

I'll most likely getting it, this was one of the few remaining wiiu ports I wanted.

500K goal reached at just before five minutes to midnight, PS4 version confirmed! :D

How's the soundtrack by the way? Wondering what tier to go for, though I'll probably stick to the basic physical reward.

8 minutes ago, Sméagol said:

How's the soundtrack by the way? Wondering what tier to go for, though I'll probably stick to the basic physical reward.

The soundtrack is pretty decent from what I remember, the OST just seems to be a sampler though, I went for the basic physical game as it's pretty good value overall. :smile:

Just looked at the Kickstarter in more detail, there is a full OST tier, 5 CD's worth in fact but... that's a £250 tier, a bit of a jump. :p

Edited by S.C.G
  • Thanks 1