NEurope
Hero-of-Time

The Wonderful 101

First it just looked like a city Pikmin, but then it developed into more.

Looks very Multiplayer focused. Not much to interest me right now, but will wait to hear more/how it plays.

I wish half of these games being shown didn't have glaring framerate drops.

This looks like an interesting experiment in gameplay but err...not exactly what you'd expect from having a Platinum Games exclusive.

Info and Screens: =

Genre: Mass-Hero Action

Publisher: Nintendo

Developer: Platinum Games

Director: Hideki Kamiya = No Bayonetta 2 :(

Release: Launch

Players: 1

Strength in Numbers

Earth is under attack from an invasion of enormous aliens, and the only thing that can protect the planet is a group of unlikely, yet mighty, heroes with special abilities. Unfortunately, the aliens are too powerful for the heroes to fight individually. They must join forces and work together to defeat their common enemy. These uniquely different heroes can morph into powerful weapons to crush the invaders or turn into objects like a giant fist or bridge to interact with and traverse the environments.

Features:

Players must explore each stage to find helpless citizens and recruit them to join their army of heroes. The more heroes you gather, the greater your Special Morph Powers will be.

Players can use the Wii U GamePad's touch screen to command heroes such as Bonzai Man, Vending Machine Man and even Toilet Bowl Man. Heroes can also morph into gelatin to guard themselves from enemy attacks.

Players can also use the GamePad to explore areas unseen on the TV screen and solve puzzle elements.

Platinum Games, known for hit titles like Bayonetta and MadWorld, has partnered with Nintendo to apply its unique talent to the development of one of the first games for Wii U.

Y2Xqr.jpg

SFywk.jpg

yib2a.jpg

Edited by Dante

This looks like a comercial flop! The sad thing is, as inventive/fun/awesome as this might be, I can see stuff like this selling like steaming shit. Then when it does third parties will say 'there's the proof, we're not supporting Nintendo anymore'.

This looks like a comercial flop! The sad thing is, as inventive/fun/awesome as this might be, I can see stuff like this selling like steaming shit. Then when it does third parties will say 'there's the proof, we're not supporting Nintendo anymore'.

It's gonna be so sad when Nintendo stops supporting Nintendo when this flops :(

It's gonna be so sad when Nintendo stops supporting Nintendo when this flops :(

You know what I mean! It just doesn't look like the kind of game people will pick up. When these games don't sell, especially ones developed by companies like Platinum Games it has a knock-on effect!

Why won't people pick it up? It looks different and interesting to me! Pikmin/Little Kings Story with super hero powers!

Why won't people pick it up? It looks different and interesting to me! Pikmin/Little Kings Story with super hero powers!

Of course, in order to get people interested in this game with that description, they'd have to know what Little King's Story is. As that wasn't exactly a raving success, chances are they wouldn't know what you're talking about. Pikmin is also rather a (big) niche game. No guns, no explosions, no grit, no cinematic scripted sequences... ;)

It's great to have more quirky titles like this beside the standard fare with guns, explosions, grit, obscenely action packed cinematic scripted sequences etc. that we have everywhere else and I don't see why this would be an automatic flop. If the investment is right, selling lower numbers doesn't have to mean the game would be unprofitable.

*watches video*

These producers are responsible for Okami!! :o

---

The special moves selection are a bit reminiscent of Battletoads! :p

But yeah, it's a shame we couldn't get a Bayonetta or Madworld hardcore game from this studio; despite the latter being possibly the worst game I've ever played, but Bayonatta's meant to be good, so seems they're hit and miss. Hopefully this turns out well.

I actually reckon this could be a bit of a hidden gem like your Little Kings Story, Okami even!

The visuals are actually really nice.

The viewpoint, reminds me of that game where you just roll around collecting everything, which people seem to buy, so maybe there's hope for this.

Of course, in order to get people interested in this game with that description, they'd have to know what Little King's Story is. As that wasn't exactly a raving success, chances are they wouldn't know what you're talking about. Pikmin is also rather a (big) niche game. No guns, no explosions, no grit, no cinematic scripted sequences... ;)

It's great to have more quirky titles like this beside the standard fare with guns, explosions, grit, obscenely action packed cinematic scripted sequences etc. that we have everywhere else and I don't see why this would be an automatic flop. If the investment is right, selling lower numbers doesn't have to mean the game would be unprofitable.

I'm not advertising the game, therefore it doesn't matter how I personally describe the game...

The game literally just got announced, and the first discussion we get is if it'll sell badly because whatever...

You can tell Fused King is absent today :heh:

This sure looks amazing, though.

I'm not advertising the game, therefore it doesn't matter how I personally describe the game...

It personally mattered enough for you to post here, therefore it's a point of discussion.

I'm liking where this game is going.

Source: http://www.sidequesting.com/2012/06/e312-hands-on-with-project-p-100/

After waiting eight years for a new Pikmin game, we get two in the same year! Sort of. Project P-100 for the Wii U will remind you of Pikmin at first glance, but after a few minutes of playing the game, it takes the idea of controlling a lead character and commanding a group of followers in a much more action-oriented direction.

In Platinum Games newest title, you take control of a super hero and recruit others to join you and fight off an alien invasion that no one hero can fend off alone. You can then command said group of heroes to take the form of a large sword, a gun, a fist, gelatin, etc., and fight off the alien chumps.

The gun, sword, and fist take power to use, which is gained by mashing the X button to attack enemies. It’s a weak attack but is necessary to get to the more powerful skills. Once you have enough power, you input a gesture by either moving the analog stick or by drawing on the touch screen to select the form you want to take and then hold down the A button to activate it. While it is slightly easier to input the gestures on the touch screen, the game is so fast paced that you probably wont want to move your hand that far. Or you’re just lazy. Either one. What’s impressive is that in a sea of developers who are rushing to shove the touch screen controls in your face, Project P-100 is very conservative with the touch screen, only using it in away that makes sense and even then, not requiring you to use it.

The combat feels like an RTS beat-em-up as you smash through enemies with your various abilities. Sometimes, you’ll encounter helpless citizens. By drawing a circle around them, you can turn them into super heroes themselves to assimilate into your hive. The more heroes you have, the more powerful your attacks are.

During the demo there was one time where I had to actually enter a building and use the fist ability to turn some knobs. While inside, I had to look at the Wii U Gamepad screen and control the lead hero in third person. This is the only area in which the game fell flat. The camera was very difficult to control and was so close to my hero that I couldn’t get a good idea of my surroundings. Moving the camera away wasn’t an option because the room was so small. Also, I was supposed to enter the building on one side and exit on the other, but due to the nature of transitioning between screens, it was a little difficult to get my bearings. Regardless, it was only a few brief seconds in an otherwise positive experience.

The demo culminated in a fight on the arms of a giant robot rampaging through the city. It was a very old school boss, fought with fresh mechanics. I had to destroy the weak points on his left arm then chain his arms together so I could get across and attack the other weak points, all the while avoiding his various attacks.

For the life of me, I can’t imagine why this game wasn’t shown at Nintendo’s E3 press conference, especially being a launch title. It will definitely be one to watch as we get closer to launch. Don’t be surprised if it becomes the first sleeper hit on the Wii U.

It's a game with a name that says nothing, graphics which mostly are possible on the Wii. And it just doesen't look like a game that'll blow Metal Gear, Alan Wake or Grand Theft Auto out of the water. It looks cheap and casual.

Pikmin looks gorgeous and it's a franchise where we already know that the gameplay is fun. This looks like Pikmin having a bastard child with Call of Duty.

This looks fun as hell. There's some Four Swords Adventure elements too (with houses that you go into where the action shifts to the tablets and other players can't see :D )

Still, I do have to ask why the visuals are so poor. Coming from Platinum, I'd expect a much better looking game :hmm:

This looks fun as hell. There's some Four Swords Adventure elements too (with houses that you go into where the action shifts to the tablets and other players can't see :D )

Still, I do have to ask why the visuals are so poor. Coming from Platinum, I'd expect a much better looking game :hmm:

There's got to be a reason, something to do with the dev kits... We know final dev kits were only sent out in April. We all seen the bird and Zelda tech demos last year.

The more I see the more I like... Reminds me of some of the madcap Japanese games that were plentiful on the Dreamcast. From around 7 mins onwards I believe you see some very promising hardware power/features.

It personally mattered enough for you to post here, therefore it's a point of discussion.

I know that, but you made it sound as though my points were rubbish since they wouldn't appeal to people other than me.

It's a game with a name that says nothing, graphics which mostly are possible on the Wii. And it just doesen't look like a game that'll blow Metal Gear, Alan Wake or Grand Theft Auto out of the water. It looks cheap and casual.

Pikmin looks gorgeous and it's a franchise where we already know that the gameplay is fun. This looks like Pikmin having a bastard child with Call of Duty.

Not every game is expected to blow top games out of the water. I doubt people created castle crashers with the sole idea of blowing GTA out of the water.

I think this game will be fun to play! A cute little game that has some fairly decent moments and surprises with the different superhero moves from recruiting different people.

I'm not expecting this to go into my top 5 games of all time but I'll give it a whirl!

I know that, but you made it sound as though my points were rubbish since they wouldn't appeal to people other than me.

Plus Fused King and a handful of other people, including me. ;) My point simply was that they'd have to gauge well how many of us there are and to how many they can reasonably hope to sell the game to. If they limit the budget and scope of the game accordingly and make the best out of it, then it could still be a success.

Not every game is expected to blow top games out of the water. I doubt people created castle crashers with the sole idea of blowing GTA out of the water.

I think this game will be fun to play! A cute little game that has some fairly decent moments and surprises with the different superhero moves from recruiting different people.

I'm not expecting this to go into my top 5 games of all time but I'll give it a whirl!

Yes, of course.

My point wasn't that that makes the game bad. It just makes the game seem like yet another underwhelming Wii U trailer. If Nintendo had shown more and better core games, this might have been perceived as a breath of fresh air. Now it's just perceived as a part of Nintendos lackluster launch lineup.

This is made by Platinum games. The guys who are giving the other consoles Metal Gear Rising. While we get... this.

I ee this as a viewtiful joe style surprise. Something different. I don't understand why everyone is dismissing it straight away!

Yeah Viewtiful Joe, Little Kings Story, Okami... I think this could be another sleeper hit set to surprise.