NEurope

I got a review copy of this through the post today (just on loan for 2 weeks, though :(), and I've played 9 days so far. It's absolutely fantastic so far - just what I would have hoped for in a Pikmin sequel. It also means new signature and avatar time!

I got a review copy of this through the post today (just on loan for 2 weeks, though :(), and I've played 9 days so far. It's absolutely fantastic so far - just what I would have hoped for in a Pikmin sequel. It also means new signature and avatar time!

Post? Strange. I had the impression that Nintendo just gave out download codes to reviewers now (makes sense I guess as it's cheaper to distribute and it prevents review copies from being sold, but oh well, so much for that!).

Glad to hear that you're enjoying it! Just a little under 2 long gruelling weeks for me! :D

Post? Strange. I had the impression that Nintendo just gave out download codes to reviewers now (makes sense I guess as it's cheaper to distribute and it prevents review copies from being sold, but oh well, so much for that!).

Since Autumn, the 3DS games I've had have been download codes, but I think this is actually the first Wii U game they've sent me - they did offer the launch games, but again, only on disc and only 'on loan', so I just bought them myself. I expect I'll end up buying this once it's out too, as I won't complete it in two weeks.

EDIT: I've now reached a point where I'm totally stuck! Been wandering in circles for a few days' worth of gameplay, with no idea how I'm supposed to get to where I'm meant to go.. And no walkthrough or (far enough) video online either...

Edited by Mike

What do you mean "apparently" this has been known since E3 2012 hasn't it? Or was it a direct shortly after? Anyways, we've known about this for absolutely months!

Really looking forward to this. Haven't played any games on my wii u for months and this does look well worth the wait.

The Pikmin look so cute :grin:

But maaaaan those floor textures are nasty

Seems Serebii has been living under a Rock Pikmin! :p

Page 5 of this thread says Hi.

I forgot, so sue me :p

The Pikmin look so cute :grin:

But maaaaan those floor textures are nasty

Hmm am I the only one who likes the low-res floor textures?

Personally I think because the rest of the game looks so amazing in full HD, it actually creates a nice contrast... no? ::shrug:

Besides it's not as if it's the only HD game to skimp on textures, I've seen much worse over the years and even recently. :p

Either way this is a huge step-up from Pikmin 2 - as you'd expect - so I'm really happy. :D

Those grassy textures are just a remnant from Wii development. Game would probably see more large delays to get them updated. I'm so over it. By enlarge the good textures far outweigh the single bad texture lol. Anyone sub to lukemorse on YT? He was flabbergasted when he first stared playinging and it looks amazing to me too.

Here is his reaction playing the first into level. There isn't anything spoilery in it.

I just love the way the foliage moves and sways in unison, with the shadows and depth of field effects.

Rubbish grass texture what??? :)

Edited by madeinbeats
Automerged Doublepost

It's just me, it has been a pet hate of mine for years. The DS era was such a struggle for me :p

All I can say is what they skimped on grass textures, they've certainly made up on the fruit, which look incredible. At the end of each level you can take a closer look at what you've collected, and I always spend ages rotating around it - so well designed! Anyway, game-progress wise, I've still only found three of the five Pikmin types, although I think I'm on the verge of the fourth, but I'm pleased there's still quite a way to go.

I hate to be a Nintendo Apologist, but I think the low res textures could be on purporse? I mean if the were as detailed and colourful as the rest of the world imaging trying to pick out your small, highly detailed, colourful Pikmin?

The contrast will really help as seen in the shot below:

zlCfzRDIPJ4Jgi7dLb

If Nintendo are unable to use high quality textures and have them easily distinguishable from the main characters that is worrying. Film-makers have found many methods (primarily lighting and colours) to be able to do stuff akin to this for the last 100 years (obviously colour is about 60 years).

Although I will say I don't care too much about the textures. Yes, I would like it if they were better but during actual gameplay you are unlikely to really notice as the Pikmin will be as adorable as all get out.

I agree with Ashley. They are the game-makers, so they should obviously figure out how to do it. Now it looks like they "forgot" to finish the ground.

I dont actually care about textures if im being honest.

All im bothered about is how it plays.

I don't actually care about textures if I'm being honest.

All I'm bothered about is how it plays.

This...

Forget the low-res textures on the ground, you're meant to forget them anyway... :p look at the glorious high-definition world around you, look at each perfectly rendered Pikmin looking back at you and try not to smile. :D

Just don't look down... ;)

Besides we have come so far over the last couple of console generations, I still fondly remember the N64 era... my god, textures? What are those... we would cry. :laughing:

Fuck... this is out, in a week... and a half!

H-Y-P-E-! :yay:

For all those people complaining about low res ground textures. Do remember that during the actual game itself, the camera is zoomed out far back (which is how the textures are designed to be seen). You'll not notice the ground texture resolution while you're actually playing the game (those screenshots come from a specific photo mode that allows you to freely move the camera around - think Smash Bros).

The game looks just fine. It's probably not a technical powerhouse (which makes sense considering its Wii origins), but it still looks great (and runs at a silky smooth 60FPS to boot :) )

Over at GoNintendo a guy tweeted he had finished the game and it took him 7 hours to do so. He still had half the fruit to collect so he thinks you're looking at a 10-12 hours game. Lovely.

Speaking of lovely, here are some screens that have been posted on Miiverse. :bowdown:

zlCfzRDCtNcnuNvLB8

zlCfzRDPAoUj86-YOR

zlCfzRDOstIrwyOYzb

Gorgeous :D 11 days!

Speaking of lovely, here are some screens that have been posted on Miiverse. :bowdown:

But dat grass texture man. :blank:

I'm planning on being at the top of the leaderboards out of you lot too, so don't be gettin' any funny ideas :-p

Edited by madeinbeats

zlCfzRDIPJ4Jgi7dLb

Seriously??

You see how zoomed is this picture (+ the angle which tend to uglify textures) and the size of an average pikmin during a game session. You won't notice in game. It would be pointless to waste memory with a bigger one.

I think the game looks fantatsic considering it was originally a wii title