NEurope

That's it, I've now cancelled NSLU and Pre-Ordered this... It's been too long since a proper Pikmin!

Does anyone know if this game has dungeons (caves) or not? I mean Pikmin 2 was great, but the caverns were just so boring and depressive. I'd much rather just stay on the ground where all the pretty flowers are...

Dat artwork!

Anyway, I played it and enjoyed it! http://www.n-europe.com/features/hands-on-pikmin-3

It's become my most anticipated title.

Probably the best thing I've ever seen. :weep: Is it just random promo material? Just by the dimentions could it be from an instruction manual.

I really do hope Nintendo adds a manual or somekind of art book in the case ; for some reason it would just feel so wrong to me if this one didn't. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Does anyone know if this game has dungeons (caves) or not? I mean Pikmin 2 was great, but the caverns were just so boring and depressive. I'd much rather just stay on the ground where all the pretty flowers are...

Has caves mate. They look amazing though with loads of crazy creatures and light effects. There's some vids and screens a few pages back no doubt.

Edited by madeinbeats
Automerged Doublepost

Probably the best thing I've ever seen. :weep: Is it just random promo material? Just by the dimentions could it be from an instruction manual.

I really do hope Nintendo adds a manual or somekind of art book in the case ; for some reason it would just feel so wrong to me if this one didn't. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

E3 promotional material. Another one here:

1053232_10152406758079897_1471011491_o.jpg

This + Nick Park (Wallace and Gromit) = commission now...

Didn't he do a series of shorts for the 3DS? Anyway, I'd love to see these shots in animation

I really liked the caves in Pikmin 2.

They were truly meant for the more experienced player.

So many casualties, but I pulled through all of them.

Lots of puzzles in there and you also had to be on your toes because of the dark.

I still remember just walking recklessly downwards when all of a sudden a huge boulder would fall on the tail-half of my 100-Pikmin crew. BAM! 50 DEAD!

Never again, once I get this I will cherish every Pikmin life.

Haha, I love how the Pikmin crap themselves on hearing the Wii U chime :D

Nintendo seriously need to advertise the shit out of this game - show what the Wii U is capable of.

The one thing that bothers me about this game though - is it just fruit you can collect? Part of why Pikmin 2 was so awesome was the weird treasures you could collect, and the amusing names and stories Olimar came up with for them. I just feel that collecting only fruit for 15 or so hours may become tiresome.

Nintendo need to advertise the shit out of everything! They'll probably not do so til closer to christmas however. I get really annoyed, I keep seeing adverts for MH3 3DS bundle...no mention of Wii U at all. I know it's a bundle, but jeez, work it in!

Anyway yeah. Looking at the Jap trailer, this looks good again. I'll maybe pre-order it soon and see. I don't think I'll get round to playing it for a while though, and that makes me want to wait. Also hopefully other people might do the same, and it'll put the shitters on Nintendo.

Def hope random 'real' items are in it with crazy names still, all part of the charm.

I really liked the caves in Pikmin 2.

They were truly meant for the more experienced player.

So many casualties, but I pulled through all of them.

Lots of puzzles in there and you also had to be on your toes because of the dark.

Well it's much like Skyrim really. "O hai guise, we built this awesome-looking world...yet we force you do to ignore it and crawl through boring-ass, million-layer dungeons instead." That's sucky. Hope there's at least some variety and visual flair to the places now...

What I'm looking forward to is the interactive map. Managing 3 teams should be much easier with that...

It feels like I haven't bought a game in quite a long time now, let alone played one, or felt the need to participate in forum activity, but this looks so FUCKING INCREDIBLE that I'm going to break my gaming silence!

I loved Pikmin so much when I got it, and I can't even fathom that it's been over 10 years since I first played it on the Gamecube. Everything about the game was amazing to me; the gameplay, the style, and especially the atmosphere, which to me was partly so engaging because I genuinely felt the pressure of the time limit. Everyday I felt I had to strive to achieve some goal, which is a sensation few games can emulate. I'm aware the time limit is gone, but it'd be great if they managed to somehow recapture that feeling, but even without it, the music alone takes me back to that time when I could spend all day immersing myself in other worlds without feeling that I should really be doing something more productive with my time in the real one.

This and Smash are the only two things that can make me want to pick up a controller again. Sadly I've reached a point in my life where pass times such as gaming and music are now predominantly driven by nostalgia as opposed to freshness and new experiences, so it's nice for me that Nintendo continues to build on old franchises while shoehorning something new in.

pikmin-3-characters.jpg

Do you think the Wii U would be capable of doing something like this and if Pikmin 3 had started development on Wii U might it have been closer to it? Would the PS4 be even able to do this? It does look nice and make you wonder. Maybe next generation.

pikmin-3-characters.jpg

Do you think the Wii U would be capable of doing something like this and if Pikmin 3 had started development on Wii U might it have been closer to it? Would the PS4 be even able to do this? It does look nice and make you wonder. Maybe next generation.

Absolutely not to both questions. It starting on the Wii has no impact on how the final product is. Besides, I think that actually looks worse than Pikmin 3.

Anyway, new trailer

Edited by Serebii

I think you could say that some of the beautiful Pixar like Ratchet & Clank cutscenes aren't too much of a departure... but I think we're a long way from being able to sustain that sort of detail through the duration of an entire game.

It would be beautiful to have an few more high end animation looking Nintendo games! Especially given their characters.

Yoshi's Yarn has the potential for something more like this I suppose.

I like the way they're approaching the cutscenes in Tropical Freeze too... filling them with personality to really engage you with the characters, almost making them almost like a cartoon within the game.

Edited by Retro_Link

I don't know much about graphics but I'm fairly confident the Wii U is capable of much more. When you look at some of the items like the fruit, they're photo realistic. They've definitely been bumped up from earlier versions of the game but then when you look at some of the textures, the ground say looks like the Gamecube games.

Also, isn't this running in 720p and 30fps? Smash is the only game announced so far I think that is running at 1080p and 60fps. I think if Pikmin 3 started on Wii U, maybe it could have joined that club.

I don't know much about graphics but I'm fairly confident the Wii U is capable of much more. When you look at some of the items like the fruit, they're photo realistic. They've definitely been bumped up from earlier versions of the game but then when you look at some of the textures, the ground say looks like the Gamecube games.

Yeah, that's a shame. Flat ground that has grass textures on it, why couldn't it be real 3D grass?

Yeah that's my biggest issue with the game. I'd love there to be sections of grass to walk through with the Pikmin's leaves and flowers showing you where they are and decorating the grass :)

Absolutely not to both questions. It starting on the Wii has no impact on how the final product is. Besides, I think that actually looks worse than Pikmin 3.

Anyway, new trailer

Even for you, that is an embarrassing post. Since they first showed off the game at E3 we've seen the old textures they've used, particularly on the ground and for grass. They've done some updating since then but come on mate, don't get ahead of yourself.

Yeah that's my biggest issue with the game. I'd love there to be sections of grass to walk through with the Pikmin's leaves and flowers showing you where they are and decorating the grass :)

There's a logical reason though. The blades of grass would be comparable in size to each individual Pikmin and it could cause obscurity in views

Even for you, that is an embarrassing post. Since they first showed off the game at E3 we've seen the old textures they've used, particularly on the ground and for grass. They've done some updating since then but come on mate, don't get ahead of yourself.

What? No it isn't. Just because the game started development on one console does not mean that it is somehow gimped when development has been pushed to another. That is specious reasoning at best

On another note, just found out that my girlfriend has preordered me a copy off of amazon! Very excited as I haven't played a Pikmin game before. Has Pikmin 2 aged well? I heard that game had multiplayer and that it was great back in the day..might have to check it out.

On another note, just found out that my girlfriend has preordered me a copy off of amazon! Very excited as I haven't played a Pikmin game before. Has Pikmin 2 aged well? I heard that game had multiplayer and that it was great back in the day..might have to check it out.

Pikmin 2 is definitely worth playing. It's much better than the first as well but that too is brilliant. It has new Pikmin and the time restriction in a day is gone. It has multiplayer but I never got to play that with anyone. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

There's a logical reason though. The blades of grass would be comparable in size to each individual Pikmin and it could cause obscurity in views

What? No it isn't. Just because the game started development on one console does not mean that it is somehow gimped when development has been pushed to another. That is specious reasoning at best

I'm just judging by all the footage we've seen up until now. Unless that post was your attempt at joking or sarcasm, then apologies.

Pikmin 2 is definitely worth playing. It's much better than the first as well but that too is brilliant. It has new Pikmin and the time restriction in a day is gone. It has multiplayer but I never got to play that with anyone. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Wicked, thanks a lot :) I'll track down the NPC version or the Gamecube version asap. It's such a shame Nintendo haven't sorted out the Wii U virtual console properly yet; it'd be amazing if I could go home and just download it!

Any word on Pikmin 3 multiplayer? My girlfriend loved the Nintendo Land Pikmin attraction so I have a feeling co-op could become a regular thing.

I'm just judging by all the footage we've seen up until now. Unless that post was your attempt at joking or sarcasm, then apologies.

Wicked, thanks a lot :) I'll track down the NPC version or the Gamecube version asap. It's such a shame Nintendo haven't sorted out the Wii U virtual console properly yet; it'd be amazing if I could go home and just download it!

Any word on Pikmin 3 multiplayer? My girlfriend loved the Nintendo Land Pikmin attraction so I have a feeling co-op could become a regular thing.

I'm not saying the ground textures are brilliant, because they're not. I'm saying that it's illogical to say that this game is gimped because it started development on the Wii. Especially since they made the shift in early 2011 at the latest

Edited by Serebii

I never played the NPC version but I'd imagine it would make it control even better.

I'm not saying the ground textures are brilliant, because they're not. I'm saying that it's illogical to say that this game is gimped because it started development on the Wii. Especially since they made the shift in early 2011 at the latest

I'm not saying it's gimped but you can see certain things have definitely changed over time. If it started on the Wii U there wouldn't be the need to rework certain assets(fruit, enemies) and then there are certain things that haven't changed(ground textures) and you can tell where they started life.

I just said... their leaves and flower heads could show you where they are when in long grass! A patch of grass suddenly brought to life with flowers as you walk through could look lovely!

Also the grass need only be in transitional areas... then it could be back to the flattened grass texture.

With Pikmin 3 only 3 weeks away, would you not rather just wait and experience it first time with this game?