NEurope
darksnowman

NEW! Super Mario Bros. U

This had better be a budget release.

No way this is worth more than 30 Euro.

Why? What do you know about the game? It's length, what the extra game modes entail? You're driving me crazy today with your insane negativity with absolutely no foundation whatsoever.

A new 2D Mario game, at the launch of a console, the first ever Mario game in HD, one with new modes and that showcases the new tech on the tablet - you really think this is going to be a budget title?

This will sell very well, and most likely be worth every penny of the price.

The latest thing that confirmed this to me is the Intro cutscene for example. It just doesn't look good! It's like something you'd expect from a Gamecube launch game. Compare it to the effort put into the Intro of Mario Tennis on the Gamecube!... or Mario Galaxy!

Even Mario Galaxy 2's intro which was also side-scrolling at least had some visual effort put into it.

In contrast this one just looks dated, which is just a bit of a shame for Mario's HD launch!

Totally agree, that intro cutscene was cringeworthy. So dated looking :hmm: especially the bit in Peach's castle

Why? What do you know about the game? It's length, what the extra game modes entail? You're driving me crazy today with your insane negativity with absolutely no foundation whatsoever.

I kinda get where he's coming from with the value of this product. The way that they have extended the play time of this is with extra modes that are frankly cheap extensions, reusing the same assets and design. The only new thing of merit are the challenges.

I'm not bashing the game per se, I just don't think it's worth full price especially when you stick it next to something like Rayman, which has has used a complete sub-genre of platforming (the music mode) to extend it's game.

I'm not bashing the game per se, I just don't think it's worth full price especially when you stick it next to something like Rayman, which has has used a complete sub-genre of platforming (the music mode) to extend it's game.

That's like saying the obligatory on-rails turret sections in modern day shooters are a complete sub-genre. In Rayman:L it seems like they're having the characters on auto run (would be impossible to synchronize with the music otherwise) while you have to hit jump and attack at the right times. It's nice variation on the core mechanic and a great idea, but little else.

I kinda get where he's coming from with the value of this product. The way that they have extended the play time of this is with extra modes that are frankly cheap extensions, reusing the same assets and design. The only new thing of merit are the challenges.

But no one knows no wrong it is. Should the new call of duty be cheap too because it uses the same formula for year and years? FIFA? I don't get how anew mario game with copletely new levels, graphics and music should be a budget title when we have idea what the full game entails.

Though I do agree that rayman looks incredible and much much better.

I also agree that Nintendo should do more with it, but justit doesn't cheapen what is there.

Timeless style != outdated
I don't understand what you're saying here?... You're saying a Timeless style will look outdated? (so how's it timeless?)

---

Why don't the levels in New Super Mario Bros U look like this for example?...

The Level of Play and the Backgrounds here transition beautifully, character models are finished with a higher level of detail and with better animation, and everything just looks like it's had the time and effort put into it the Mario deserves! It makes NSMBU look dated!

Edited by Retro_Link

I don't understand what you're saying here?... You're saying a Timeless style will look outdated? (so how's it timeless?)

I'm pretty sure Serebii is suggesting that because it's "timeless" it will never be outdated at all.

Which is rubbish in my opinion and gives Nintendo a free ride to never bother trying creative aesthetics in a new Mario sidescroller.

I'll be willing to let them away with it for this game though, but only because the HD assets and parallax scrolling are impressing me just enough to like the visuals of the game. Still, it is kind of lazy that they haven't tried a fresh approach for a new generation.

I forgot how nice that intro sequence from Galaxy 2 is. NSMBU looks even worse and even more lazy now!!

Jesus the hate for this game is seriously getting annoying now.

It's funny because none of us have actually played this game from start to finish yet so therefore no one can truly say what it's like. Sure, we've had videos and screen shots from the game which suggests what the game will be like - but again, no one has actually played it yet.

What's even funnier, is if this game never existed and the Wii U launch was Mario-less, people would be bitching that Nintendo 'never learn' from past console launches that haven't had a major first party title. 3DS anyone?

I'm glad there is a Mario title at launch. I'm sure loads of other people are too. Perhaps it is lazy of Nintendo to use the NSMB forumla again. But hey, it will sell the console. And if that means a successful launch that goes on to kick start a successful console that spans lots of successful games, then great.

One of the greatest funnest times I ever had with the Wii was getting to world 8 in New Super Mario Bros Wii with my 3 other friends, the yelling and screaming was epic in that world. Seriously, not even shooters and fighting games made us yell at one another like this game did but at the same time the feeling of completing the games with friends is one that can not be experienced with almost any other game.

This game looks more crazy and more fun than New Super Mario Bros Wii the idea of what world 8 will be like just scares me, my friends have texted me a couple of weeks ago organizing a New Years Eve Mario run start to finish, we can't wait!

my friends have texted me a couple of weeks ago organizing a New Years Eve Mario run start to finish, we can't wait!

This sounds like so much fun!! : peace:

But no one knows no wrong it is. Should the new call of duty be cheap too because it uses the same formula for year and years? FIFA? I don't get how anew mario game with copletely new levels, graphics and music should be a budget title when we have idea what the full game entails.

Though I do agree that rayman looks incredible and much much better.

I also agree that Nintendo should do more with it, but justit doesn't cheapen what is there.

It's about value for money, for me personally. Yeah it will probably be a fun game but it has far too much in common with it's past 3 predecessors. If you think about the main Mario series, there was never this much repetition.

Mario 1, 2, 3, World, 64, Sunshine and Galaxy all brought something very new to the table and that's why I was happy to fork out top dollar for them. My opinion of the situation with the "new" series is that the Wii U game doesn't represent enough value for me to fork out that kind of money because, for the most part, I've played it all before. For some people, that might be the case but for me it just feels like a big DLC pack for the Wii game.

That's like saying the obligatory on-rails turret sections in modern day shooters are a complete sub-genre. In Rayman:L it seems like they're having the characters on auto run (would be impossible to synchronize with the music otherwise) while you have to hit jump and attack at the right times. It's nice variation on the core mechanic and a great idea, but little else.

This is why I disagree: On rails bit of shooter, you are still using the same gameplay, with the ability to move (and usually reload) removed. In this second mode in Rayman, they have taken a mechanic from a completely different genre (music and rhythm games) and used that as an expression of visually playing the same game. It's completely different gameplay.

They have found a way to allow you to enjoy the levels, animation and art style of the universe in a completely different way which justifies spending more time with the game. By comparison, Mario's "play it again but fasterer" seems weak.

Jesus the hate for this game is seriously getting annoying now.

It's funny because none of us have actually played this game from start to finish yet so therefore no one can truly say what it's like. Sure, we've had videos and screen shots from the game which suggests what the game will be like - but again, no one has actually played it yet.

What's even funnier, is if this game never existed and the Wii U launch was Mario-less, people would be bitching that Nintendo 'never learn' from past console launches that haven't had a major first party title. 3DS anyone?

I'm glad there is a Mario title at launch. I'm sure loads of other people are too. Perhaps it is lazy of Nintendo to use the NSMB forumla again. But hey, it will sell the console. And if that means a successful launch that goes on to kick start a successful console that spans lots of successful games, then great.

Don't get me wrong, this game will sell well and Nintendo have made the right decision to cash in but for me personally, it's not getting my money yet. They have fully explained the gameplay modes and videos have shown the gameplay, art style and power-ups so I feel that I can make a judgement on the game as I know what I don't like about the "new" series and it's all still there.

And don't confuse hate with criticism. It's a value judgement as I don't have infinite time and money!

Edited by Jamba
Automerged Doublepost

Don't get me wrong, this game will sell well and Nintendo have made the right decision to cash in but for me personally, it's not getting my money yet. They have fully explained the gameplay modes and videos have shown the gameplay, art style and power-ups so I feel that I can make a judgement on the game as I know what I don't like about the "new" series and it's all still there.

And don't confuse hate with criticism. It's a value judgement as I don't have infinite time and money!

Hate, criticism - it's all negativity. Doesn't matter how its labelled really.

And regardless of whether we've been told what to expect or whether we've seen the art style - it still doesn't go as far to show you what you're gonna get when you load up world 4-3 for instance, or when you get to world 8 how difficult it may get.

But it's your call to make that judgement on just videos and a list of game modes.

I'll make mine by playing it. :)

Hate, criticism - it's all negativity. Doesn't matter how its labelled really.

And regardless of whether we've been told what to expect or whether we've seen the art style - it still doesn't go as far to show you what you're gonna get when you load up world 4-3 for instance, or when you get to world 8 how difficult it may get.

But it's your call to make that judgement on just videos and a list of game modes.

I'll make mine by playing it. :)

So you just spend your money and then decide whether you like it? That's a bit of a cavalier way to spend your cash... Also you could say the converse with you, that you have decided that you are willing to put down your money without having played it. How is my decision any different to yours?

Bear in mind that I'm basing my decision on having played NSMB and NSMB Wii as well.

On a different note, I really think you should look up the difference between hate and criticism. Criticism really doesn't have to be negative but on the other hand it generally suggests being impartial rather than overly optimistic (that's you).

Yeah, "hate" is a much overused word. There are only a few things I truly hate, and none of them have anything to do with video games!

Regarding the graphics, I think it's quite true to say this is uninspiring compared to, say, Rayman Origins or other modern 2D games. I've just been looking at screenshots for Trine 2 and they are astounding - far more so than this.

On the other hand, what I like about the New Super Mario Bros games is that they play like a dream. Everything is done to the perfect scale, regardless of whether it allows for flashy graphics or not. Take New Super Mario Bros 2 on the 3DS... I actually thought the resolution was slightly too low to show any detail on Mario, but they still (quite rightly) stuck to the right scale for the game. I'm sure this (scale and proportion) has a lot to do with how New Super Mario Bros U looks. And by the way, those Thwomps look perfect - proof enough that the game's artists know exactly what the Mario world should look like!

So you just spend your money and then decide whether you like it? That's a bit of a cavalier way to spend your cash... Also you could say the converse with you, that you have decided that you are willing to put down your money without having played it. How is my decision any different to yours?

Bear in mind that I'm basing my decision on having played NSMB and NSMB Wii as well.

On a different note, I really think you should look up the difference between hate and criticism. Criticism really doesn't have to be negative but on the other hand it generally suggests being impartial rather than overly optimistic (that's you).

I am not going to put my cash down and then decide. I also have played the other games in the series - and had a lot of fun with them. So therefore I expect to enjoy this too. What with it being on a new console with new gameplay elements and modes etc.

I will be buying into a successful franchise.

On a different note - I'm ignoring the rest of your post. :)

All Mario's 3D outtings play brilliantly, but people would be complaining if Mario Galaxy looked just like Sunshine, or Sunshine looked exactly like Mario 64...

I don't understand why in 2012 and in Mario's HD debut, it's not ok to want to see Mario's 2D series taking the same steps forward?

Mario 1, 2, 3, World, 64, Sunshine and Galaxy all brought something very new to the table and that's why I was happy to fork out top dollar for them.

It's a bit unfair to say none of the NSMB series brought anything new, especially when you list Mario 2 (it was a completely different game until the re-skin) and Sunshine (it added the Fludd but little else). NSMB Wii at least brought four-player platforming into play, something I personally had a lot of fun with.

I was disappointed when Nintendo first announced this but the more I see and read about it the more I'm looking forward to it. My only bug bear now is the music, but I'll just stick on some remix Mario tunes in the background while I'm playing :D

They have found a way to allow you to enjoy the levels, animation and art style of the universe in a completely different way which justifies spending more time with the game.

No they haven't. They have left the universe well alone and instead made a subset of the levels into these incredibly tightly scripted on-rails music levels. There is no other way to play them and they're not there on top of the standard levels, as they're part of the levels.

Looking at the on-rails section in shooters is a more than apt analogy. At the core of the shooter mechanics is moving and shooting. The on-rails sections are removing the running aspect in favor of the shooting. The core of Jump'n'Runs is jumping and running. They're removing the running aspect in favor of the jumping and synchronize it to the music. In both cases one of the core mechanics remains intact.

I'd say you'd have a point with your different genre argument, if what we've seen so far actually looked like it took elements of rhythm games and offered a musical challenge. E.g. having to remember rhythm or melodies. What we've seen so far however would work just as well without any music, even if that would greatly diminish the show effect.

And if you absolutely want to look at it from the "extend the game" perspective, the challenge/rush mode in NSMBU is actually the addition that offers more content in comparison. That's because it adds content on top of the 80+/- levels you can expect from NSMBW, instead of taking out one level per world and changing the core mechanics invariably.

And yes, I think the musical levels in Rayman:L are far more exciting, but building your value argument on them simply doesn't work.

Edited by Burny

I haven't really seen any of the US conference, so this was new to me.

Edited by Retro_Link

I don't understand why in 2012 and in Mario's HD debut, it's not ok to want to see Mario's 2D series taking the same steps forward?

The 2D style is aiming towards the simplicity that appeal to people from 5 yrs old to 85yrs old. The most detail we are ever going to get out of these series are background details, the simplicity of the characters will always be the same no matter how bad you want it to change.

Nintendo will put all the stuff you want in a 3D mario, it's obvious they put more effort into the 3D mario cause it's aimed at a different audience (Mostly gamers and semi casuals)

It's just the way things go.

People are rightfully disappointed (or rightfully excited, whatever the case may be). I'm personally disappointed. When this game was first revealed they made damn sure it looked as much "Mario World Spiritual Successor" as possible. Now, after more viewing? It seems all those that made it look more expansive and Mario Worldy are just tiny snippets of the game, with the same usual NEW Mario plain/sterile-ness being the bulk. It's hard to not be disappointed, especially since most are still reeling from what a complete disappointment NSMB2 3DS was.