NEurope

Survival Mode! Survival Mode! Survival Mode! Survival Mode! Survival Mode! Survival Mode! Survival Mode! Survival Mode! Survival Mode! Survival Mode! Survival Mode! Survival Mode! Survival Mode! Survival Mode! Survival Mode! Survival Mode!

Let's do this!

Consider how ammo is supposed to be scarce, there's surprisingly many weapons you can spot in the screenshots.

ZombiU - Exclusive gameplay - Visiting Brick Lane Markets

ZombiU multiplayer: twice the screens, twice the genres

“Asynchronous multiplayer” is a stupid way to describe people playing a game together in varying ways. Fortunately, WiiU launch title ZombiU makes the whole concept simple with its innovative RTS-FPS combination.

zombiu_4.jpg

The idea of the double-screen set-up is one every console platform manufacturer latched onto in the last year, and WiiU will be the first native implementation of it when it releases in the US later this week. For the first time in mainstream console gaming, this will allow “asynchronous multiplayer”. You’re going to be hearing those words a lot in 2013. The first time I ever got to try it was with ZombiU at Ubisoft Montpelier last month.

“Asynchronous multiplayer” sits alongside “platform agnostic” as being a supremely stupid way to describe a simple concept. In ZombiU’s case, it means one person using the Pro controller – or “the rubbish 360 pad,” as most seem to call it – and WiiU’s touch-screened GamePad. In the mode we played, the person with the GamePad is zombie-lord King Boris. He’s trying to kill the other person, who’s playing on the TV in a traditional FPS style. The aim is to capture a required number of flags.

As the pad player, you’re given a suite of zombies with which to attack the FPS player. You drop them into the game by touching the screen, and you’re unable to place them too closely to the FPS player. You have blockers, which are useful at choke-points and only attack when the opponent approaches; you have normal zombie chaps, who just attack the player wherever he is on the map; and you have red zombies, who never attack and are solely focused on capturing the flags. The number of zombies you can place in the world is restricted, and there’s a cool-down so you can’t just spam enemies at the FPS guy. Based on your successes, you level up, each upgrade bringing options to add new zombie types. There are explodo-zombies, dashing zombies, and all the rest of it.

As the FPS player, you have to run around an arena, capturing flags, shooting zombies with a variety of guns, setting things on fire and generally shitting yourself as Boris becomes more powerful. Thanks to the survival horror bent of ZombiU, killing things is a slow process. You get powerful guns, but they’re not much good to you unless you’re headshot-capable. It gets hectic.

Think of it like being a sole player in Left 4 Dead. FPS guy is the traditional player. The pad guy is the AI Director.

“It’s a new way of playing, this asymmetrical gameplay,” said co-creative director Jean-Phillipe Caro. “For the first time, a classical FPS player could be defeated by his own mother playing the tactical game on the tablet. It’s good. A new sensation. It’s funny.”

Which is all great – it really is great, and it really is new – but there’s one pretty major catch: it’s offline-only. While WiiU may be the dawn of gaming’s fresh dual-screen era, quite whether or not it’s going to make a real impact in terms of the online side of play is still muddy.

zombiu_multiplayer.jpg

ZombiU’s multiplayer was originally created as a base concept in the game’s previous incarnation, Killer Freaks from Outer Space. Offline isn’t a problem, JP said: a lot of its fun is playing in the same room and swapping roles when rounds end.

“It became clear that it’s just going to be a funny mode to discover, that’s cool to play,” said Caro. “It’s cool to discover the new capabilities of the GamePad. It’s a cool way to play fast and exchange roles. Everyone can play with the controller.”

We were told, however, that online play would be a target for a sequel, should it come to that.

As with ZombiU’s single-player, WiiU’s GamePad adds something absolutely new to core console multiplayer. The experience of being the pad guy is one of omnipotence, of maniacal diabolism as you pump specials into the arena. FPS guy is Ash in Evil Dead II: the seriousness of ZombiU’s campaign is replaced by a frenzied horror comedy, of popping heads and screaming laughter in the face of overwhelming odds.

“Laughing” is a key element to ZombiU’s multiplayer, actually. There appeared to be a great deal of it going on during our session.

For the record, JP claimed FPS players tend to get the continual upper-hand against pad players if they’re accomplished. I played as the pad player and beat one of the devs as the FPS guy. Just saying.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/11/16/zombiu-multiplayer-twice-the-screens-twice-the-genres/

Looks like Gamespot aren't fans

http://m.uk.gamespot.com/zombiu/

4.5 out of 10. Hunting for the actual review, doesn't look like its live yet

With an uninteresting world and dull combat, the survival horror game ZombiU is a weak link in the Wii U's launch lineup.

The Good

Fun multiplayer modes capitalize on game's strengths.

The Bad

Heavy emphasis on dull melee combat

Uninteresting puzzles and mission structure

Wii U gamepad adds little and hurts immersion.

Sigh, knew the following would be an issue for a lot of reviewers. So resistant to change

Other functions are simply better handled through traditional controller inputs. Cycling between weapons via touch screen or constantly dragging items to and from your backpack is not ideal. And scanning the environments for items means you do most of the exploration in a very detached, clinical way.

ZombiU is a game trapped in the wrong genre. The run-and-gun multiplayer modes emphasize the game's competent shooting mechanics and ability to create interesting enemy encounters. However, these two aspects are discouraged in the single-player campaign for the sake of survival. To compensate, there's the bare minimum of a story and a few simple puzzles. And so much cricket bat. ZombiU could have been an enjoyable action game, but instead it is a poor entry in the survival horror genre.

He also complains that it isn't just shoot shoot shoot.

http://m.uk.gamespot.com/epic-mickey-2-the-power-of-two/reviews/epic-mickey-2-the-power-of-two-review-6400225

Farbeit for me to judge without having played the game myself, but it seems to me he played it expecting it to be Left 4 Dead and not something different. It's meant to be a survival horror, you're meant to not have ammo so use guns scarcely.

Edited by Serebii
Automerged Doublepost

Got a feeling this is going to get dodgy reviews across the board, with only a few good ones who appreciate it.

Got a feeling this is going to get dodgy reviews across the board, with only a few good ones who appreciate it.

Have a feeling it'll be like that for Wii U games across the board. People are resistant to change. How he thinks changing multiple weapons/items is better with repeated button presses rather than tapping touch screen, I don't know

ah man!

if this gets more average/poor reviews then thats another pre-order cancelled!

ah man!

Don't worry, this just reeks of Gamespot's non-Nintendo view. The reviewer came in expecting CoD Zombies and didn't get it

Well only one way to find out for sure. Besides, I think they wanted to make the game like this, I think the developers were trying to put you in the position of the character, someone with little experience with weapons (shooting, reloading, proper handling), not running straight etc. These are just normal people who are in the midst of a Zombie apocalypse, I think you should be playing this with your Zombie Hat on.

Try to preserve your ammo, lock down the doors, save your battery, collect anything that can help you on your quest for survival in any way.

At the moment we're just going to have to wait for some more reviews to get the clearer picture.

Expected review is expected.

They have a clear axe to grind about the Wii U as a whole and ZombiU is an easy target, due to it being easily compared to Left 4 Dead on a surface level (despite it being a completely different type of game)

I wouldn't trust any reviews about this game really. Wait for the yanks to give their impressions when they get it tomorrow...

ah man!

Why would you cancel this based on what the reviews say? From what we've all seen, this is the survival horror title that we've all needed for some time.

Frankly, this will be the most important third-party game at launch. If I had the money, I would buy a WiiU for ZombiU in a heartbeat.

I really hope it is good but all I can think of is Red Steel. Promised so much and delivered so little.

I'm not going to cancel my pre-order though. I still think it sounds interesting.

I just finished listening to/watching the IGN video podcast and they let slip in the mid-section, and then badly tried to cover it up, that NSMBU is their highest rated launch game for the Wii U. It was in context of ZombiU, and at first they sounded as if they weren't happy with the game, but it seemed to be resolved that it was just because of the embargo. Anyway, we'll know either way all too soon.

Even if this is a mediocre game, I know I'll still enjoy it, taking my time, being careful, planning in advance, and bashing a lot heads in with a cricket bat.

From Gamespot: With an uninteresting world and dull combat...

Does it look dull? Not to me, but I haven't played it.

Edited by londragon

I just finished listening to/watching the IGN video podcast and they let slip in the mid-section, and then badly tried to cover it up, that NSMBU is their highest rated launch game for the Wii U. It was in context of ZombiU, and at first they sounded as if they weren't happy with the game, but it seemed to be resolved that it was just because of the embargo. Anyway, we'll know either way all too soon.

Even if this is a mediocre game, I know I'll still enjoy it, taking my time, being careful, planning in advance, and bashing a lot heads in with a cricket bat.

Does it look dull? Not to me, but I haven't played it.

Americans often think England is dull :p

Well... I don't care too much as I'm locked into getting the game at launch whatever happens - Zombi U bundle - but for what it's worth after all I've seen I think the game looks fantastic for a launch title. :)

Why would you cancel this based on what the reviews say? From what we've all seen, this is the survival horror title that we've all needed for some time.

Frankly, this will be the most important third-party game at launch. If I had the money, I would buy a WiiU for ZombiU in a heartbeat.

because if it gets average reviews across the board then I am not gonna spend money on it.

I am not someone who will just buy games cause I like the look of it. Reviews are important to me!

because if it gets average reviews across the board then I am not gonna spend money on it.

I am not someone who will just buy games cause I like the look of it. Reviews are important to me!

This is a game that will get review scores all over the spectrum, regardless of its quality, purely because it's unlike any game that has come before.

You'll have review scores influenced by reviewer's opinions on the console, on Nintendo, on the lack of publisher given swag (see A Table of Doritos) and on their preconceptions of what the game should be (see the Gamepsot review, where he trashed it for basically not being COD or Left 4 Dead); much moreso than the actual quality of the game itself.

Reviews are usually unreliable, but they're especially unreliable in this case.

Just wait till tomorrow and the impressions that come from people who actually buy the game.

Hey, why don't you just rent it? As others have said, singular reviews can be amazingly biased due to reviewers preference but at the end of the day, it's going to be about what you enjoy right?

I think if the mechanics are solid and you like the whole Zombie premise, this will probably review well. Credit to Ubi who have embraced core zombie ideas as well.

Personally though, I can't stand the whole zombie premise as it A) scares the living hell out of me and B) is shoved in your face as cool as hell by a lot of geeky folk.

Looking forward to seeing the reviews and sales figures though.

The game has received a 92 from OMN and a poor review from a reviewer who mainly reviews fighting games and people are cancelling their pre orders? I'd wait for more reviews if I were you.