NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Dante

Dead Space 3

Pursuing the screenshots, video and E3 confirmation through the corridors of pre-E3 EA excitement are these Dead Space 3 details, courtesy of NeoGaf, from the latest issue of Game Informer.

Tau Volantis is the name of the icy planet that our speculation has been skating around, and it will be interesting to see if this setting will bring more than just a pallet change to the game. Perhaps a Lost Planet style survival element would garner some heat, but I for one would certainly enjoy it.

The co-op has been confirmed, as has Carver as Issac’s partner, but the single player will apparently allow you to “hear everything you need to hear to get the whole story”. Competitive multiplayer won’t be making a return, a smart decision considering that most people spent more time entering the code to access it than actually playing it in Dead Space 2.

The single player itself will see a return to the zero gravity space sections and dark corridors that the franchise is known for, but will be generally less linear with exploration being encouraged and unique “beta missions”, side-missions that aren’t required for the main campaign, being included. With it’s now plentiful, universal ammo (akin to Mass Effect 3) and cover system, my fears that the series may be moving more towards action than survival seem to have been realised. The inclusion of Unitologists at arms, as shown in the screenshot below, again speaks to this heightened focus. It will be interesting to see how Visceral Games manage to meaningfully define their ‘third-person cover based shooter’, provided that they can of course.

On a somewhat brighter (darker) note, some new Necromorphs have been revealed and they sound far more in keeping with the space faring series. With a 30 story tall snow centipede called the Nexus, Fodders that transform into two different Necromorphs depending upon how you ‘kill’ them and the rather interesting addition of Feeders, the result of uninfected humans feasting on infected flesh through necessity, the transformed seem to be as terrifying as ever.

Weapon upgrades will once again return, but this time with the ability to meld together weapons with (as Game Informer speculates) tungsten and scrap metal dropped by enemies.

Source = WeGotThisCovered

Playing through 1 and 2, at no point did I ever think that I wanted another player in there. The whole part of why I find the damn games so scary is because of that solitary confinement feeling the game is based around.

Well I finally got round to finishing Dead Space 1 yesterday, straight after watching Dead Space Aftermath and now gonna go straight on to 2....Aftermath actually worked really well as an interlude between the two with it's cliffhanger ending about Isaac being in the Sprawl....

Have to say though I feel the solitary nature of the first is what makes and am assuming more of the same from the second so the decision to add drop in co-op seems dumb to me.

Have to say though I feel the solitary nature of the first is what makes and am assuming more of the same from the second so the decision to add drop in co-op seems dumb to me.

If you aren't playing DS3 co-op then scenes are adjusted to accommodate that. They don't lump you with an AI companion.

So far I think they're doing a terrible job of selling this game to me, but then it seems to be the in thing to show your game off publicly and then tell everyone it wasn't really representative of what the game is really like, they just wanted their game to be noticed by making it look like everything else. We'll see.

dead_space3.jpg

I've ranted about co-op in both the Resident Evil 5 and Resident Evil 6 threads so I'm not going to bother here too.

But I will just say that this game is teh d00med.

Perhaps I wasn't explicit enough: if you play the game singleplayer there is no AI companion. The guy will meet up with Isaac at points throughout the game, but he goes on his way so you're still on your own.

It's fair to be concerned about this game given what they've shown, but the inclusion of co-op isn't what you should be worried about.

Perhaps I wasn't explicit enough: if you play the game singleplayer there is no AI companion. The guy will meet up with Isaac at points throughout the game, but he goes on his way so you're still on your own.

It's fair to be concerned about this game given what they've shown, but the inclusion of co-op isn't what you should be worried about.

My fear isn't the co-op but what has been shoehorned in to accommodate the feature. Unless you take a completely different path through the game than you would with a partner, playing single player will feel like you are playing with a missing component.

It is highly likely that there will either be areas that cant be progressed without a partner so you miss out on them completely, or the game has been designed to be more about action and shooting rather than one of investigation and survival.

My fear isn't the co-op but what has been shoehorned in to accommodate the feature. Unless you take a completely different path through the game than you would with a partner, playing single player will feel like you are playing with a missing component.

Halo doesn't have that problem. While the game is much, much better in co-op, it loses all seriousness and things like plot and characters (which you may pay attention to in single-player) just become meaningless.

The campaign is still aimed at single-player and everything feels "right" as one person. The Halo franchise just realises that people like having fun with a group of friends, even if it means that elements of the campaign (i.e. multiple Master Chiefs) make no sense at all.

Halo doesn't have that problem. While the game is much, much better in co-op, it loses all seriousness and things like plot and characters (which you may pay attention to in single-player) just become meaningless.

The campaign is still aimed at single-player and everything feels "right" as one person. The Halo franchise just realises that people like having fun with a group of friends, even if it means that elements of the campaign (i.e. multiple Master Chiefs) make no sense at all.

Dead space and Halo are two very different games though. One is about suspense, the other is about filling aliens with bullets. They both have stories, shooting and action, but how the convey them is what separates them.

You shoot a lot of things in Dead Space and its sequel. About twice as much as either game needed, in fact.

Personally I think Dead Space 2 had much better pacing than the original, which was very tense but also never let off the pressure; a lot of people had trouble playing more than a chapter at a time as a consequence. Unfortunately it's hard to see if the third game will invert past mistakes by making something that's all release all the time.

You shoot a lot of things in Dead Space and its sequel. About twice as much as either game needed, in fact.

Personally I think Dead Space 2 had much better pacing than the original, which was very tense but also never let off the pressure; a lot of people had trouble playing more than a chapter at a time as a consequence. Unfortunately it's hard to see if the third game will invert past mistakes by making something that's all release all the time.

I still haven't completed it because the chapter I am on scares the hell out of me. As soon as I start, there is a rather nasty enemy round the corner that chopped my head off last time :weep:

Dead Space is one of my favourite gaming series purely because it's scary as hell! I love the fact that it's true survival horror and I do think that it would spoil it having co-op. Having said that, imagine what fun it would be for you and a friend to play through and get shit scared together! :p

(This would consist of me hiding round corners and just shooting stuff to make the person I'm playing this with jump! haha)

I did wonder if I was the only one who played it like that....It's just a very stressful game to play and takes it's toll.

You can sign up for early access to the demo on Xbox live and i assume ps3 from today.

Downloaded the demo this morning and played a small part of it. There's defenitely more ammo lying around and from the short bit i played it defenitely feels different to the first 2 games. I think i will enjoy it and if so won't cancel my pre-order but i'm gonna miss dead space!

Not looking good for my copy. Game emailed monday to say it had been dispatched. The mail today (friday) has arrived and still no copy :0(

Dead Space 3 is a third-person shooter survival horror video game, developed by Visceral Games and published by Electronic Arts.

Rickey is my new favorite member. He tells it like it is!

Edit: Never mind, he ruined it by starting a spam thread.

Edited by Magnus

Sign in to follow this