NEurope
Ashley

Site Redesign & Forum Issues

Server is having a few issues, please bear with us :)

Launching a new system, during the busiest time of the year, in a brand new hosting environment? Maybe it was a bit too adventurous.

I'm going to do some optimsation over this week, but hopefully with Nintendo's main conference out of the way we're through the heaviest of the traffic.

IT STILL KEEPS FORGETTING WHO I AM!

Who am I?!

Is this my CHAIR?

Damn really? I just signed in, closed my browser and came back 30 minutes later and it remembered me.

Try signing in through the homepage first instead of the forums perhaps.

I'm being remembered.

I guess the forum/Shorty just loves me more than you lot.

I'm being remembered at home but it's not remembering me on my phone still.

And now the front page just forgot me.

Another peculiar thing I've just noticed: Having read or posted in a thread and used the forum jump to go back to the current board, the page sometimes takes a reload to register that I've read/posted in that thread.

I've put on a short, basic html cache which might be causing that, will disable it later.

Congrats once again on the redesign. Looks really sleek :)

Also, just saying that the forum doesn't remember me if I enter it directly, only if I enter from the main page. Other members seem to have this problem as well, so I assume it's being worked on, but still, just reportin'

Everything else seems fine.

Is the cache on the forums as well? New posts link keeps showing posts I've read.

Sorry but I thought you were talking about the front page :P

Ha I just deleted my post as it was a little too hostile (leaving you looking like you're talking to yourself). Testing changes now.

Edit: Hm, forum overview updates faster but returning to a thread doesn't always bring up your latest post. Quick reply probably uses ajax so that might be the problem.

Edit 2: Made some more changes to the caches, @Dannyboy\-the\-Dane, let me know if you still spot any peculiarities.

Edited by Shorty

I've noticed two problems with the RSS feed:

1. It's very slow to update. At the time of writing, the RSS feed is currently outdated by 5 articles — the most recent of which was posted yesterday at 22:55 (strangely, the timestamp on the actual article is 21:55).
  2. Article URLs are missing from the mark-up! The "link" tags that should enclose them are empty ("<link></link>").

Additionally, you should redirect the address of the old RSS feed to the address of the new one if possible. Unnecessarily breaking links harms the Web. :)

Edited by Maximo

Where exactly are you seeing these empty link tags?

Open the RSS feed in a text editor, or force your web browser to display it raw (Chrome displays it raw by default).

Oh right, right, you were still referring to RSS. Okay, no problem. The RSS feed is a third party component but I will look into changing it and forwarding the old feed, thanks for the heads up.

I've always been logged out after about 20 mins, like forever. I didn't know staying logged in was even an option.

I'm also having a slight problem where the password box is slightly hidden by the rest of the log-in box, but i think this is due to my browser using LastPass and so isn't anything to do with this site.

BTW, I approve of the recent change of tab ordering for the login form.

Hopefully the forum login will remember you now.

Still not remembering. I've cleared cache and cookies to no avail. Also does the same on other devices.

I still get kicked off on the main site from time to time, meaning I have to log in again. Also, notifications don't seem to appear on the main site profile box.

Notifications (outside of PMs) do not and will not appear on the main page as mentions/quotes are a third party plugin. Obviously we will try and implement it one day but it's fairly down on the pecking order at the moment.

Hey guys, think I may have come across an issue when using the music tags (at least someone else was having what seemed like the same issue). Basically the embedded music in the mini youtube player has a play button that is sometimes obscured, but it seems like you can temporarily remedy this by increasing the size of all fonts / graphics on the page:

LOL. Nah, too scary. :D

Is it just me or do half of these links not work? Looking at the ones I posted, the first 2 and last one are fine, yet the ones in the middle have the pic but no play button. Same goes for the first one Sheikah posted.

Ah, so it's not just me then. I think this could very likely be an issue with the new forum theme and music tags.

If you look carefully you'll see that the play button for music clips is obscured making it hard to click (there's a fine sweet spot in the middle in which you can click it).

Temporary remedy for this is to increase the font size of everything on the page. This is really easy to do in most browsers, hold ctrl while scrolling upwards with your mouse wheel / laptop trackpad scroller. Voila, the play button is unearthed.

I think the problem existed before the N-E redesign. Rather, this is an issue related with Youtube's own somewhat recent redesign, I think.