NEurope
D_prOdigy

PRE-E3 NINTENDO DIRECT Conference

Also, when he actually looks at OctoG123's post, it has a different intereface. Those icons aren't there so maybe that is his messages section.

On a related note, can we all just get it straight that the old guy is on his friends list because tons of people seem to think that Wii U is going to let you video chat with tons of randoms.

Activity Feed could be similar to the one on Vita - it needs to show more than "so and so played this" - I think this will show a feed of your friends getting achievements and other stuff,

Here's a screencap for people to make their own minds up:

WiiUMiiPlaza.jpg

The one on the left is number of replies, the right one is number of likes?

The one on the left is number of replies, the right one is number of likes?

Other way round - the right one is a speech bubble.

Other way round - the right one is a speech bubble.

Whoops I dun goofed. Mystery solved!

The next one now is what that gold icon on NSMB Mii is all about...

wiiuachievement.jpg

Straight up achievements (OH GOD PLEASE NO!) or something a bit smarter?

Perhaps it's a live update on someone who just finished a level in under 100 seconds? Or maybe some sort of automatic time trial ghost sharing? (they did mention game content sharing as part of Miiverse...)

Edited by Dcubed

I just realised that the game in the video is called "Shooter".

Does anyone else find it weird that a Wii U GamePad will be able to control a TV, but a Wii remote won't?

I think the same for the 3DS mate... where's that app?? I hope it is highly customisable, for example, it'd be great to have skins for the remote to represent Sky+ and VM TiVo etc, etc, even if these are user generated.

-------------

So, has everyone had the chance to gauge the general reaction to last night's NDirect?

It seems insanely decent. Looking around on YouTube there are some insanely insane Sony/MS fanboys who are now saying 'WiiU day 1'. If they continue to impress with games and prove it has a note worthy power and graphical leap in E3 then it all seems a bit .. .. good.. .. perhaps too good!!!

I like most of the stuff in this.

I'm starting to become worried though about all the control input methods.

It seems like it could detract from developers making focused experiences for one controller. We now have Wii Remote-nunchuk, motion plus, Balance board, Classic controller, Wii U Pad and Wii U Pro controller.

Ideally they phase out support for the original classic controller/pro, so that they can make good use of clickable sticks in the new one. Also, hopefully the old Wii Remote will be phased out so that motion plus support is the norm for any games using the Wii Remote set up.

That still leaves 4 distinct input methods though - Balance Board, Remote, GamePad, Pro controller.

If third parties latch onto the Pro Controller, then it leaves Nintendo to develop all the unique stuff. So expect them to have more projects and more dispersed resources, so more cheap titles to develop and probably less "Triple A" stuff.

Also, if third parties latch onto Pro, then expect Nintendo to also try to be trying to keep the Wii Remote and Balance Board still relevant too, by making stuff for them.

This is risky really. Third parties are probably less likely this gen to make Multi-platform titles AND Nintendo exclusives. if Wii U can run their multi-platform titles, which will likely be EXPENSIVE, then I dont see them wanting to spend money to make exclusives, especially with rising development costs. If Wii U "wins" and becomes their lead system, then maybe...but yeah...

The wii motes equal one and classic controller equal one so it's not a bit deal. The balance board is so specific I don't think that will be confusing. I guess it's just the screen, pro and wii motion plus. Again, all wii u owners have the wii u pad so developers won't ignore it and use it in all games - from the basic maps away-from-the-tv-play to the amazing. I really don't see it as a problem. i think the wii mote will get pushed to the side and be for old wii games. Unfortunately.

The wii motes equal one and classic controller equal one so it's not a bit deal. The balance board is so specific I don't think that will be confusing. I guess it's just the screen, pro and wii motion plus. Again, all wii u owners have the wii u pad so developers won't ignore it and use it in all games - from the basic maps away-from-the-tv-play to the amazing. I really don't see it as a problem. i think the wii mote will get pushed to the side and be for old wii games. Unfortunately.

I'm certain that they'll package in a Wiimote plus & Nunchuck (Non motionplus Wiimote un-supported) inside the box. They're already showing games that require the Wiimote (Wii Sports U and Zelda Wii U is said to be using the Wiimote Plus too) and those things are dirt cheap. No reason to not do it (especially since it comes with the sensor bar)

It also appears in this screen too (look next to the Wii U console under the TV)

8GPnq.jpg

That's obviously not an accident...

The real question now is whether or not the Wii U Pro Controller will also come packaged in as well? (The less excuses given to 3rd parties the better!)

I just realised that the game in the video is called "Shooter".

The whole thing is a pisstake on generic zombie shooting FPS games (and the audience that plays them...)

Edited by Dcubed

Activity Feed could be similar to the one on Vita - it needs to show more than "so and so played this" - I think this will show a feed of your friends getting achievements and other stuff,

I was wrong about this - the Activity Feed shows status updates from your friends.

It better not be a bog standard wii mote though. They need to pause the fucker out!!

And anyone ale think the zombie game looks a little too polished for a gag?

Is that a zombie beefeater?

Not really sure he can be classified as a beef eater anymore :p

Wouldn't be surprised if that Shooter game turns out to be some downloadable title. Wii U Ware or something.

Also, when he actually looks at OctoG123's post, it has a different intereface. Those icons aren't there so maybe that is his messages section.

Looking at it again, I think that's him looking at the comments on his post.

Random people display as their Mii name (the rest are generic names), while OctoG123 is the only non-generic name.

I think OctoG123 is his Nintendo Network ID (so you can't actually see the IDs of the random people who post).

It better not be a bog standard wii mote though. They need to pause the fucker out!!

And anyone ale think the zombie game looks a little too polished for a gag?

Nah, not really. They probably commissioned an animation studio to make a quickie 10 second clip that they just edited into this video.

I think none specific action figure should be the mascot for the Wii U. (has him on Facebook profile picture)

Nah, not really. They probably commissioned an animation studio to make a quickie 10 second clip that they just edited into this video.

Yeah I bet you're right there, probably a UK based studio or just they I'd something nice for the Queens Jubilee, Nintendo love Easter eggs

I think none specific action figure should be the mascot for the Wii U. (has him on Facebook profile picture)

tumblr_m52l3vgjAL1qaq8al.png

Interesting Observation: Not all the games seem to have comments. DK, Yoshi, the Star Icon don't have visible comments in the video.

I wonder if any of the games in that post are actually real. Here's some of the posts:

Metroid: Back He's baaaaaaack... (Ridley?)

Zelda: The Darknuts are driving me crazy.

Mario Kart: So much fun when you play this game with others online.

Mario Kart [item Box] What's Inside

New Super Mario Bros. Mii: Yay! I've collected 999 coints! Only one More to go (Sounds like 1000 coins is an achievement)

Wii Fit: Is it weird to choose a male trainder if I'm a girl? (Answer: No. However, it is strange to choose a male trainer if you are male).

However, the one with the most details is called "Chase", I've made a thread because I'm certain that one is a real game.

nonspecificactionfigure-1.jpg

There was no mention of voice chat/party chat/cross game chat, which has me a little worried to be honest. If there is no party chat then I will be massively disappointed as it's one of the main reason why I love Xbox Live.
But Iwata did say that Miiverse is available regardless of the game that's being played, so it must always be running in the background.

The impression I got from the Nintendo Direct is that you can communicate with friends at any time. :blank:

Anyway, we'll probably get all the details on that tomorrow. :)

The bit about the NFC went past me last night. So it's confirmed as an NFC Reader and Writer..