NEurope
Cube

Star Wars 1313

Screen-shot-2012-06-01-at-12.16.44-AM.jpg

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-06-01-mature-star-wars-game-1313-announced

LucasArts has announced the 18 rated third person action adventure game Star Wars 1313.

This mature-themed Star Wars game is made by LucasArts and various Lucasfilm studios, including Industrial Light & Magic, Lucasfilm Animation and Skywalker Sound.

You play a bounty hunter in a "never before seen dark and mature world". It "brings to life" the Coruscant underworld, "the most dangerous place" in the Star Wars galaxy. There's mention of a "high octane thrill ride", "epic action adventure gameplay", "agile" cover-based combat, "epic platforming" and "seamless cinematic gameplay".

On the technology side, the game is built using the Unreal Engine, with full body performance capture and "high end" Hollywood visual effects techniques.

From the official blurb: "Named for Level 1313, a ruthless criminal underground deep below the surface of the planet of Coruscant, the game puts players in control of a deadly bounty hunter as he uses an arsenal of exotic weaponry to hunt down his marks and uncover the truth surrounding a criminal conspiracy.

"Star Wars 1313 emphasizes epic set pieces and fast-paced combat with a hero who uses human skills and gadgets, rather than supernatural Force powers, to make his way through this dangerous world."

LucasArts president Paul Meegan said: "We're excited to share one of the projects LucasArts has been hard at work developing. Star Wars 1313 dives into a part of the Star Wars mythos that we've always known existed, but never had a chance to visit. We are committed to bringing the best gameplay experience and visual fidelity to life and I truly believe the work we are showcasing at E3 will speak for itself."

The concept sounds really great, I'd like to see Coruscant fleshed out as much as it was in some of the scenes in Episode 2.

Lets just hope they don't repeat the mistakes from The Force Unleashed and make a lame extension of the films which everyone wishes never existed.

Urgh so they think making a dark mature games will solve all the problems of a franchise that sold out long ago and has seen a string of terrible games.

There had better be at least one dance scene.

And if you have Kinect, you can join in.

BETTER WITH KINECT!

I always felt the Dark Forces games nicely represented a more mature take on the Star Wars universe given the locations and people you often ended up interacting with. That the games were never ridicously over the top either like the Unleashed games helped too.

Don't see the need to go for the full MA or 18 rating though. They could easily hit the 15 mark with realistic violence and convincing animations but to get it go higher, it's going to need naughty words and suggestive imagery I'd imagine. And whilst I'm sure the lower sections of Coruscant aren't averse to adult entertainment, it's not like it needs to be shown in an explicit manner in a game.

As for cover mechanics, my first thoughts went to the far older Rebel Assault games rather than Gears but with talk of platforming too, it sounds more like Uncharted overall even if it does use UE3.

Just saw a few brief clips. Seems kind of like Uncharted in Star Wars, the graphics look immense (but are running on a very high-end PC). No platforms mentioned.

Graphics look fantasic, though arguably not a great deal of objects on screen at once in the clips shown, but the gameplay looked very Uncharted-esque. Not a necessarily a bad thing though.

Here's some gameplay but I apologise for the annoying presenters have to gabble over it:

EDIT: Everything in one video with an interview by Geoff Keighley. Looks very ambitious!

Edited by Jamba

Looks promising, certainly better than the force unleashed 2.

I wonder when its set, pre Jedi or after?

I'm easily pleased when jot comes to starrwars games (I liked the forced unleashed games) and this looks excellent. Though yeah, definitely like uncharted, that bit where he climbing MD jumping up the ship is identical to do many sequences in uncharted 2 and 3 :)

Haha, I didn't realize how much like Uncharted this would look. I like the Uncharted 2 train/Uncharted 3 airplane sequence.

Yeah very similar to Uncharted...yet it looks fantastic. Surely one for the next gen though?

Yeah, as others have already said, very Uncharted like!

With this and Watch_Dogs not having a release date and no real confirmed consoles (unless I have missed something) then could these be for next gen!?

Ninja Edit: Just noticed @flameboy has suggested the same as me in this very thread!

Yeah, as others have already said, very Uncharted like!

With this and Watch_Dogs not having a release date and no real confirmed consoles (unless I have missed something) then could these be for next gen!?

Ninja Edit: Just noticed @flameboy has suggested the same as me in this very thread!

Yeah for this they admitted this is running on very high end PCs so it looks unlikely it would be this gen. Watch Dogs is being touted as 360 and PS3 but was demoed on PC.

I'm not sure how I feel about this, having previously thought I'd be happy with this gen I'm not sure if they can last another jaded E3....Think we maybe need that new energy that a console war would bring.

I think they said in their interview with Gametrailers that they would be getting this to run on 360/PS3, but I agree it looks like a challenge, so it may just stay on PC for now and wait for the next set of consoles.

You'd really have to hope that the Wii U is capable of running Star Wars and Watch Dogs though, otherwise Nintendo has fallen behind already!

Yeah for this they admitted this is running on very high end PCs so it looks unlikely it would be this gen. Watch Dogs is being touted as 360 and PS3 but was demoed on PC.

I'm not sure how I feel about this, having previously thought I'd be happy with this gen I'm not sure if they can last another jaded E3....Think we maybe need that new energy that a console war would bring.

Hmm, yeah.

We shall have to continue this topic elsewhere sometime as I think were about to go super off topic! lol.

I think they said in their interview with Gametrailers that they would be getting this to run on 360/PS3, but I agree it looks like a challenge, so it may just stay on PC for now and wait for the next set of consoles.

You'd really have to hope that the Wii U is capable of running Star Wars and Watch Dogs though, otherwise Nintendo has fallen behind already!

I think I'd rather they held this back for next gen if this is their vision for it rather than scale it down. But yes I agree about Wii U I fear they have fallen behind nothing so far looks up to anything approaching these standards.