NEurope
Beast

Do You Believe?

So if you didn't guess it from the thread title: Do you believe in aliens?

Me and a few of my friends were having this discussion and I was wondering what your take on it was. A couple of them who believed brought up the pyramids and how they were perfectly aligned to Orion's Belt and also Puma Punku. A couple of us didn't believe and a couple of us did.

I believe that we'll never get a straight answer. Nobody can prove anything. I believe something might be out there but nobody can say, for sure, what it is and who was responsible for what.

I was just wondering what the kind people of N-E thought.

Oh and apologies if this has been made before...which it probably has...but still, it's just really interested me tonight. : peace:

I guess I do. The Universe is too big for there not to be other life out there. Whether it is intelligent life form as we know it is another question. I hope there is, otherwise what is the point of it all?

Yes. The chances of aliens not existing is unbelievably small. In fact, there's even a possibly of (non-sentient) aliens living in our solar system on Europa.

However, I do not believe that any have ever visited Earth or are responsible for anything here.

As for Orion's Belt and Puma Punku - some cultures probably had a bigger understanding of things than we realised. For example, the Mayans had a wonderful understanding of the universe, and their calendar had dates for just over 63 million years ago (almost coinciding with the extinction of the Dinosaurs, although it's unkown if that's just a coincidence). The people who built Puma Punku may have invented better tools way back then, but something happened to them. The stars were also big symbols for many ancient civilisations, so there's no need for an alien explanation for the pyramids aligning with Orion's Belt - it was just good planning.

Yes. The chances of aliens not existing is unbelievably small. In fact, there's even a possibly of (non-sentient) aliens living in our solar system on Europa.

However, I do not believe that any have ever visited Earth or are responsible for anything here.

As for Orion's Belt and Puma Punku - some cultures probably had a bigger understanding of things than we realised. For example, the Mayans had a wonderful understanding of the universe, and their calendar had dates for just over 63 million years ago (almost coinciding with the extinction of the Dinosaurs, although it's unkown if that's just a coincidence). The people who built Puma Punku may have invented better tools way back then, but something happened to them. The stars were also big symbols for many ancient civilisations, so there's no need for an alien explanation for the pyramids aligning with Orion's Belt - it was just good planning.

Out of all of the discussion we've had tonight, this makes the most sense. Although they say that it's slap bang under Orion's Belt and that it's perfect, how would you explain that? I can explain how it was built and things but that's the only part where I get stumped. I do believe there's something out there but, just like you, I don't believe they could have anything to do with what's happened on Earth.

I'd have thought they'd have made themselves known by now or we'd find out. Either that or it's the world's best kept secret, haha.

The universe is so huge, there has to be something else out there. However it would be a hilarious coincidence if they were green, and had big heads with big, shiny, black eyes.

Why yes, I am competing for the boringest answer ever prize! :p

What do you mean it's smack dab under Orion's belt? Orion's belt is a bundle of stars named by humans because of their resemblance to something. They have no up or down to them. The earth orbits the sun and revolves around an axis, it's in constant motion. I don't know how it could be "under" anything.

Additionally. It is very likely that there are forms in the universe that could be categorised as alive. But I don't believe any have ever come to earth. Unless you mean resilient bacteria that were able to maintain alive while on an asteroid until it hit earth. But regarding the Pyramids, they were made by humans.

Edited by Diageo

I'm sorry that the first thing I thought of when I saw the thread was:

I only came here to appreciate this.

Timeless.

I only believe in the cool aliens, like asari and turians.

I don't believe in volus. :blank:

Out of all of the discussion we've had tonight, this makes the most sense. Although they say that it's slap bang under Orion's Belt and that it's perfect, how would you explain that?

It's far from perfect

034_gizacorrelation2.jpg

Which suggests that if it was intended to represent Orion's Belt, it was probably done by humans sitting on Earth.

I find it impossible to credit that extra-terrestrial life doesn't exist somewhere, possibly inside our own solar system, but if we'll ever find any of it or not is an open question. I'm thinking all we'll ever find are single cell organisms, the universe may be too vast for even advanced civilisations to start hooking up (and we are not an advanced civilisation on that scale, not even close).

I don't believe we have contacted (or been contacted by) any other world civilisations yet. If we ever do encounter any that are even vaguely comprehensible in any way to us then I will have to personally conclude that the universe isn't even a fraction in size, scope or variety to what I hoped or suspected.

Edited by gaggle64

I don't want to say intelligent here really but I think the 'intelligent' opinion is that, given the scale of the universe, it's near impossible for there not to be other forms of life out there.

It's possible that we're the most advanced life form though so maybe we won't find life until our technology advances enough but maybe there are more intelligent forms of life who have the motivation and resources to find us. It's just a waiting game.

I'll just say that as an explanation for the pyramids; intelligent, mysterious life coming to our planet and building them and then going away is not far from a "god did it" claim. Very uncreative and complicated answer that is unwieldy and easy to poke holes in. Occam's razor; if you hear hooves think horses not zebras, and many other sayings :p

In all probability there is other life though, it's just intelligent life may be more rare. It is easier for intelligent life to die out.

Edited by heroicjanitor

Why would aliens come here in massively advanced technology just to build pyramids out of rocks? Why wouldn't they build something really high-tech and amazing and even... I don't know... useful?

Maybe the pyramids will one day transform into giant robots and save us from asteroids.

Just like dinosaurs were created by the CIA to discourage time travel?

Extraterrestrial Life: Due to the vastness of the universe, there's a high probability that at least microscopic life exists elsewhere.

Intelligent Life: Still possible. We will not meet them in our lifetimes unless they manage to make first contact though, which is unlikely due to the vastness of the universe.

Ancient Aliens Built the Pyramids: If this were true, there would probably be evidence of it, and then there's the question, why didn't they come back? Although the idea can be used to explain some things, with no evidence to back it up, it's as relevant as a cult.

I'm with Stephen Hawking, aliens do exist but if we ever get the chance to contact them we should take a back step as the chances are they'll harvest the planet.

Duh Guys... Remember an Alien crashed in Roswell in 1947! What further proof do you want? :p

Seriously... Yes I do believe in Aliens, as mentioned a few times in this thread the Universe to big for there to not be,

and yeah there probably is intelligent life forms out there too, but not intelligent enough to master space travel yet like us... OR they have mastered space travel and are on the way to us, but they are that far away from us, we'll never see them, and probably won't see them for hundreds of years. But they've got those sleep chamber things from all sci-films that keep them in a sleeping state while they travel through space. So they don't age or die while travelling.

Why would aliens come here in massively advanced technology just to build pyramids out of rocks? Why wouldn't they build something really high-tech and amazing and even... I don't know... useful?

Well the theory is that they were reaction chambers to power the alien mothership, so they were actually hi-tech/useful.

What I've always wondered is, if there are life forms out there which have evolved beyond the single-celled organism state, what can we expect them to look like? Something along the lines of a species we have here on Earth? Or something we can't even begin to imagine?

It really depends on their environment and what works best. I wouldn't expect the species on Europa (if there are any) to be all that different to Earth fish.

Then again, there may be a race of sentient dolphin people with opposable thumbs (or similar thing that allows them to build/operate things) who have a massive civilisation.

I think that if there were something alien to us, it would be in the form of a germ or bacteria or something, not some massive headed, googly-eyed, skinny-body alien. I do agree that there's something out there though but as I, and others have said, it'd microscopic I think.

As for the pyramids theory in what Chairdriver has said, how have they not found this technology already? They make all of these shows saying how they exist with no evidence whatsoever. I think it's all too far-fetched for aliens to have built them and sounds like a better explanation of there being tools out there that haven't been discovered yet.

I know it's technically incorrect to think of evolution as having a "direction", but I'd find it interesting to see if perhaps some mutations are generally more common and effective, meaning even alien species will share some basic characteristics with us. Take eyes, for instance.