NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
killer kirby

Shin Megami Tensei IV (30th Oct)

Never played a Shin Megami Tensei game. It's supposed to be like Persona? Played Persona 4 Golden (well...not much, but...).

What's the series like? Do I need to play the first games to understand IV? I love JRPGs and would like to use my 3DS again before Smash.

I've only played a bit of Persona 3 due to SMT and it being available in different regions and/or different consoles to what I have. You should really play P4G if you have it - I'm envious. :)

Never played a Shin Megami Tensei game. It's supposed to be like Persona? Played Persona 4 Golden (well...not much, but...).

What's the series like? Do I need to play the first games to understand IV? I love JRPGs and would like to use my 3DS again before Smash.

Go play all the SMT games. If it was out in 1997 or anytime after that, it's great.

Blabla. I know it's a great game. But it's too time consuming to play right now. I can hardly manage The Last of Us :p

You're right about that. Took me 120 hours, lol.

Edited by Oxigen_Waste

Pushed back to October now.

After some unscheduled changes to the SMTIV mobile website raised some eyebrows, a lot of you asked for more details, so I’ll be upfront. We encountered a few last-minute issues specific to the EU version, and we have to fix them. Given the current timelines for production, it looks like SMTIV won’t be out in EU until late October.

No one likes delays. Our fans in Europe have been waiting for SMTIV for a *very* long time, and it pains us to have to move the release date back even further. I have talked to a few of you on Twitter, I’ve seen the angry posts on Reddit, NeoGAF, Facebook, etc., and wanted to be as direct as I could. We truly feel awful having to say “wait a little longer” for a game you've been so zealously patient for, but there is no other recourse. We’re doing everything we can to get the game out in Europe as fast as we can, so please bear with us.

What a fucking joke. Bunch of amateurs running the show here!

The delay isn't even the worst thing, not as much as the lack of transparency up until now :mad:

It'll get delayed again. I very much doubt that they'll willingly release such a niche title at the exact point game releases ramp up, especially when Nintendo platforms are also going to be busy.

Well, that sucks that it's been delayed. I wish they could just release it and then patch whatever the issues are later.

Go play all the SMT games. If it was out in 1997 or anytime after that, it's great.

I've been trying to play SMT3 lately, because I loved P3 and P4, and I just can't get into it. It feels like such a grind, with such dead, empty areas. Kinda feels like just the dungeons from Persona, end to end, with an area for shops in between each. I actually beat the first game on iOS and enjoyed that more.

Well, that sucks that it's been delayed. I wish they could just release it and then patch whatever the issues are later.

I've been trying to play SMT3 lately, because I loved P3 and P4, and I just can't get into it. It feels like such a grind, with such dead, empty areas. Kinda feels like just the dungeons from Persona, end to end, with an area for shops in between each. I actually beat the first game on iOS and enjoyed that more.

Yeah but compared to Persona, the dungeons are better, the combat is better, the art direction is equally amazing and the overall narrative is just insanely better.

Persona 3 FES and Persona 4 Golden were my introduction to SMT games, but they've since become my least favorite part of the whole SMT thingy. The whole social sim aspect isn't really my thing, I guess. Although I still loved them!

It's weird, though, SMT3 (we're talking about Nocturne, right? Just to be sure) is actually my absolute favourite out of all the SMT games I've played. Hmm.

Well, I guess it can't please everyone.

I purchased SMT1 for my ipad but I'm waiting for Blutrol to become compatible with the latest jailbreak firmware so I can play it with a controller, I really can't stand virtual buttons. But I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Did you play Devil Survivor, by any chance? I've heard it's a reboot of SMT1's plot, but since I haven't played either of them yet I can't really know for sure.

Oh, btw, best old school SMT game? Soul Hackers. If you like Cyberpunk, it's delicious!

Nocturne, Strange Journey, Soul Hackers, DDS, Raidou 2... man, there are so many SMT games I love. I only "discovered" SMT about a year ago but I can't stop playing these damn games! Having my way with Persona 2 at the moment. The gameplay is serviceable at best, but in every other regard it's probably the best Persona game. Although P4G will always win out in the end, I guess.

Btw 2, have you played Catherine? I gotta buy that game...

Catherine caused me to fucking scream. I'm not even joking, lol. I was so insanely shit at it and didn't choose a lower difficulty, so some of the later stages felt brutal. Let's just say when I was playing the later levels, "UNDO!" would be the word of the hour.

Catherine caused me to fucking scream. I'm not even joking, lol. I was so insanely shit at it and didn't choose a lower difficulty, so some of the later stages felt brutal. Let's just say when I was playing the later levels, "UNDO!" would be the word of the hour.

Yeah, I keep hearing you should play it on easy. Gotta get my hands on this damn game sometime soon.

I've played SMT, once on the "Snes" and again on iOS. Also SMT 3 (Yeah, Nocturne, or "Lucifer's Call" as it was localised over here), Devil Survivor Overclocked (got DS2 sitting waiting to be played too), P3P and P4G. If you didn't like the social aspects of Persona 4 then... well no I think I'd still prefer it to SMT 3 just for the plot :p

Also I've just downloaded Persona 1 and Persona 2: Innocent Sin. Might look at getting a US account for Eternal Punishment too, if I enjoy Innocent Sin.

@Magnus is a big fan too and has recently convinced me to give SMT3 another chance.

I played/finished/enjoyed Catherine (it was free on PS+) but it's definitely an entity all of it's own. Didn't play it on easy and found about 10% of it to be extremely rage inducing, but rewarding.

A joke that it has taken as long as it has, but at least we finally have a date! :)

I bet that Rune Factory 4 will still beat it to the punch though :laughing:

Anyone got this? It kinda snuck up on me, I assume it's out now and hasn't had a last minute delay?

Anyone got this? It kinda snuck up on me, I assume it's out now and hasn't had a last minute delay?

I was thinking about getting it today but with it being a long game and so many others coming out in November I figured I'd just wait until I'm through with them first.

Nah, it's out. :p Downloaded it yesterday. No idea when I'll play it though.

Megaten Bump!

Here it is, a little bit later than planned but...

N-Europe Review

content-15-34210-smthomebanner.jpg

: peace:

Obligatory bump!

I feel the need to mention that Shin Megami Tensei IV is still 35% off this week until 29/01/15 making it only £11.69 which is a steal for such a fine game. : peace:

Personally I plan to go back to it at some point, I spent a good while playing it through for the review but I was by no means close to the end as it requires a fair investment in the amount of time put in but it's very rewarding when it all clicks.

An experience which I can't recommend enough. :)

I've been wanting to revive this thread for a while. And now, with Glen-i as my excuse, here goes.

tumblr_mlkpxkw4jD1qzp9weo3_r1_1280.jpg

It's Shin Megami Tensei 4

Yes, I know this game came out ages ago, but I only recently finished it, mainly because I bought it during a sale and for other reasons that I will go into.

SMT 4 is a turn-based RPG released on the 3DS (Only on eShop for us though)

But important news from Isabeau!

zlCfzTZAvcUuop8B1h

Thanks Isabeau!

And with that, let's get started with the story. Spoilers ahead, so if you don't want to be spoiled, here's Isabeau to show you what to do.

tumblr_n221wim9Fe1r46mgco4_500.png

Thanks Isabeau!

DISCLAIMER: I have never played a Shin Megami Tensei game before this one and I've only seen one ending (The Law Ending). So please keep that in mind while reading this.

The game takes place in the Easten Kingdom of Mikado, you play as Flynn (Who you can rename, which I did), a Casualry who goes along to the annual Gauntlet Rite, some affair where a magical gauntlet chooses who will become the new Samurais.

Surprise surprise, Flynn gets chosen, and is thus thrust into a world full of demons that it is now his job to suppress.

But somethings not right here, a mysterious figure known as the Black Samurai is turning people into demons by giving them books!

Trust me, it sounds more foreboding in context.

I'm not gonna go into too much detail abut everything, but I will talk about the pacing. (Last chance to back out of spoiler territory)

The game's story moves along nicely until you get out of the first dungeon and find yourself in a post-apocalyptic Tokyo.

(Wait, so France DOES exist!?)

After this revelation, nothing really happens until you actually catch the Black Samurai about 60% into the game, then the story picks up nicely until the end.

That's kinda irritating, because for half of the game, the story is just stuck in one place.

The characters are very engaging though, and considering that the endings revolve around each one, it makes the choices you have to make quite difficult at times. The top-notch voice acting only serves to strengthen this.

I will point out that I genuinely felt bad about having to kill Isabeau during the Law ending because...

A. I knew full well she was right.

B. She's the most likable character in the game

Anyway, enough spoilers in the story, let's move on to the gameplay.

As I said before, this is a turn-based RPG. But there's a few little things that make it stand out.

First of all, loads of the monsters have weaknesses that if you nail, you get an extra turn. The same applies to you, if you get hit with something you're weak to, the enemy gets extra turns.

It's a nice little incentive to try and use the right techniques and works fantastically well.

The only issue I have is that with bosses, it can turn into a complete guessing game because most of the weaknesses make very little sense.

The other thing about the battle system are the demons themselves, you can actually negotiate with them to try and get them to join your team. This leads to some genuinely amusing conversations with the demons. One in particular stood out to me when I declared my love for some kind of robot dragon.

Naturally, it creeped him out and made him run away.

Once you convince demons to join you they become members of your party, so it's essential you get loads and make a good balance.

You can also fuse demons together to make new, stronger (Hopefully) demons. So there's always more incentive to recruit new demons.

But, there is one flaw I can't really ignore, and that's the difficulty.

Now there's nothing wrong with a difficult game. Hell, I've played all 3 Denpa Men games. But there is something wrong with the difficulty curve this game has.

It's completely backwards. The first dungeon is the hardest part of the game, after you get out of that, the rest of the game is much more manageable.

And nothing really proves this point more than the streetpasses I got while playing this.

There were two distinct groups of players. Level 6 players and level 80-ish players.

Clearly what happened is that players either gave up on the first dungeon, or went on to finish the game.

It's a shame, because the game gets a lot more enjoyable after that initial hump.

Anyway, thoughts, Isabeau?

060.JPG

Thanks Isabeau!

The visuals are very stylised, with battles using 2D sprites, exploration using 3D models and cutscenes using higher resolution artwork.

The 3D effect is servicable, it's there, but doesn't add much. (Although it doesn't need to, given the genre)

The soundtrack is very good though, very rock guitar based, but more somber when it needs to be. It doesn't really put a foot wrong.

Well, except maybe this song...

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Don't get me wrong, it's a very catchy song. But I couldn't help but giggle when I first heard it. It doesn't really fit the situation.

The soundtrack is still stellar.

How about you, Isabeau?

tumblr_inline_n1o0p2gERB1rai649.jpg

Ummm, kinda covered the story already. Also, that's not the story.

But, thanks Isabeau!

So all in all, Shin Megami Tensei 4 is a very enjoyable RPG once you get over the initial first dungeon difficulty mountain, and definitely worth picking up. (Especially if it's on sale, which happens quite often)

Anyway, say "Bye-bye" to Isabeau!

SMT4_int_003_thumb.jpg

Thanks Isabeau...

(I haven't read your spoiler.)

SMT IV is supreme, isn't it? Aside from a quick dabble in Persona 3 its my first foray into the SMT series. What way did you approach the demons? Did you fuse new ones all the time or stick, loyally, with the ones you had? What about the DLC?

Do you remember the Wendigo battle early on? I let out an audible "c'mannn!" and almost stood up when I beat it only for an array of others to appear on screen and the battle to continue. LOL.

What about @Ike, @Shorty, @Happenstance, @Dcubed and @Oxigen_Waste. Have you guys got SMT IV yet and played it a bit?

I have. Still haven't gotten past the first dungeon :p

One day I'll force myself through it... one day...

SMT IV is supreme, isn't it? Aside from a quick dabble in Persona 3 its my first foray into the SMT series. What way did you approach the demons? Did you fuse new ones all the time or stick, loyally, with the ones you had? What about the DLC?

Do you remember the Wendigo battle early on? I let out an audible "c'mannn!" and almost stood up when I beat it only for an array of others to appear on screen and the battle to continue. LOL.

It definitely does get brilliant after the first frustrating dungeon. It did feel like the game was trying to stop me from actually playing the game at the beginning though...

I kept experimenting and fusing new demons until I stumbled upon Dragon Long, who I liked so much, I stuck with it for almost the rest of the game.

Until I managed to fuse Dragon Huang Long, who I'm pretty convinced is at least one of the best demons in the game.

Ended up with a team of Huang Long (Totally not the Dragonball Z dragon), Ammut (Crocodile with hairy arms and a thing for bondage) and Orochi (Tons of Snakey silliness)... I may have a reptile bias.

I haven't bought the DLC. It seems like it's there to help people grind from what I can gather. Doesn't interest me.

I can't say I remember the Wendigo boss fight. It did take me a while to get through the first quarter of the game, so I don't remember much from it.

I'll probably play through New Game+ in the future for reasons I won't mention here, but I'm sure you could guess at. But I'm gonna play Mario Maker first.

It definitely does get brilliant after the first frustrating dungeon. It did feel like the game was trying to stop me from actually playing the game at the beginning though...

It was just testing you to make sure you were worthy.

Yes, I don't know how previous games worked with demon storage (probably similarly!) but you really have to get over those Pokémon catch em and hoard tendencies, don't you? Burroughs is happy to chime in (very loudly) to tell you your collectathon is going well for the quests but if only she'd get her act together and free up storage space for hundreds more demons. I assume that later on money becomes much less of an issue so you can just buy them from the cathedral (what a legend Mido is by the way) and fuse away to your hearts content. Its just cos when I move to a new stratum or area I have that inherent gamer urge to recruit everything before moving on. :P

The Wendigo is early doors. It was just a moment where I thought I was gonna get slaughtered because it was a scripted battle - not that the 'random' every day encounters can be taken for granted, either. Then victory brought unexpected adulation only for the game to be "oh, this isn't over yet. Phase two!" :woops:

Will you have all the Apps by the end or are there so many you will never afford them all?

Sign in to follow this