NEurope
Mokong

Eurovision 2012

Just had a thought... but have the last 4 winners (or more?) all been female singers?

2009 had a male winner with the song "Fairytale". The guy playing the violin. I quite liked that song actually, it was catchy.

The UK really need to pull their arse out and make a quality song like Euphoria for this competition.

Totally agree with this. While we don't necessarily have to follow what the rest of Europe is doing, taking cues about what's in music wise would be a better idea that just throwing something out there.

I think part of the issue is that British musicians seem to be mainly content with getting their recognition within the UK and trying to break the US. You only need to look at the acts that have won Eurovision over the last few years to see that they've all been hits on the continent prior to the contest and I think a mentality shift is needed so that British acts don't forget that there's a huge and diverse music scene on the continent that they should be bringing their wares to and should be taking inspiration from rather than constantly fixating on the US or what only happens in our music scene.

The lyrics of Jedward's song make no sense. It makes me imagine the captain from The Simpsons singing it. And I keep thinking of waterline as in the waterline of the eye.

The show is crap, so I do not extend my interest beyond what the country I'm in is offering. I used to watch it with my family though, my mum provided a very enthusiastic running commentary.

I usually make a thread of Eurovision about two weeks before the actual competition but it totally slipped my mind this time, had a lot on, sorry. Bad Dazz! Also, I missed it last night unfortunately! :(:(:(

Hearing the winning single now (thanks Aneres) and yeah, I can see why she won. The song's wicked. I've still not heard Jedward's or even the UK's. HOPEFULLY, it'll be on BBC iPlayer and I can watch it. Was it any good?

Totally agree with this. While we don't necessarily have to follow what the rest of Europe is doing, taking cues about what's in music wise would be a better idea that just throwing something out there.

I think part of the issue is that British musicians seem to be mainly content with getting their recognition within the UK and trying to break the US. You only need to look at the acts that have won Eurovision over the last few years to see that they've all been hits on the continent prior to the contest and I think a mentality shift is needed so that British acts don't forget that there's a huge and diverse music scene on the continent that they should be bringing their wares to and should be taking inspiration from rather than constantly fixating on the US or what only happens in our music scene.

There's a lot of people online playing the "neighbouring" vote card. Yes, countries do give points to others nearby, to a certain extent. But, Sweden won by a landslide. Infact, the majority of the songs which finished in the top 10 had great energy, were well written and were sang/performed greatly.

The UK entry was just so flat. You compare the UK's entry, which is a tired old singer singing a song with no high point, to Sweden's entry. A young female singer with energy, catchy chorus and a great dance tune. It's even better considering that the majority of the song features her on stage in near-darkness all by herself. That's presence. We simply haven't shown that we have anybody who can do that.

The songs that we keep putting out are poor and deserve to finish last. It is sad and a bit degrading to keep finishing towards the end of the pile. But, unless we put out something of good quality, we deserve it. Even Ireland's entry (which sucked) still had more energy and catchy-ness than ours.

What happened to the neighbour voting? :( 1 point from Iceland and 3 from Sweden and 3 and points from the Netherlands. And that was it :(

It's great that Sweden won but I'm more happy about Russia not winning.

Regarding voting, this comment I read on the BBC really summed it up for me.

Working for a large multinational company, I have met quite a few people from Europe and we do talk about this contest.

They said it is nothing to do with us going to war, nothing to do with us coming across as arrogant.

They don't vote for us because we are the best music nation on the planet who refuses to send it's best music talent. If we aren't serious... why should they be?

Maybe ignoring the "best music nation on the planet" part to an extent, but we're decent. We produce some huge stars, and yet we send shit every time. It's such a crime that the woman in charge (Katie Taylor) at the BBC vetoed Katie Melua's The Flood in 2009, and rejected Hurts a year ago. Pixie Lott was interested this year too, but was apparently vetoed also. I'm not for a minute saying she's brilliant, but she's far more relevant to the EU market than The Hump is.

I've only been watching Eurovision properly for five years. Basically, one Saturday in 2008 I accidentally had the evening off work. I slouched on the sofa with a pint of beer, Eurovision came on and I thought "I'll watch the whole thing". Everyone took the mickey out of me as I was the only one who watched the entire 3+ hours! I was hooked!

Anyway, this chap from Spain came on and lit up the stage. To this day, I can't get the track out of my head, such is its rhythm and humour. Personally, as much as I enjoyed Eurovision this year, I thought there were too many dance tracks and nothing as good as this:

I don't really appreciate the winning piece of Sweden for Eurovsion 2012. It's just an interpretative singing. I'm expecting for a stunning and awesome voice. Anyway, she is better than the second placer in the competition. Everything is just voting in Eurovision.

Her performance was what did it for me, not the actual song. She was like Kate Bush having a kung-fu seizure. It was cool!

Not sure anything, for me, will beat Sebastien Tellier's Divine for France a few years back. It was just too good for Eurovision.