NEurope
ReZourceman

DC Cinematic Universe Discussion

Casting confirmation (following/confirming earlier rumours) for JL Part 1.

Amber Heard is playing Mera and will obviously be in the Aquaman movie too. Of the costume:

"It's interesting. It's like, half suit of armor, half scales," Heard revealed. "It's strange... We're in the process of building it now, so it's coming along."

Casting confirmation (following/confirming earlier rumours) for JL Part 1.

Amber Heard is playing Mera and will obviously be in the Aquaman movie too. Of the costume:

"It's interesting. It's like, half suit of armor, half scales," Heard revealed. "It's strange... We're in the process of building it now, so it's coming along."

That's pretty good news, and at last it's finally confirmed.

It's great to see the DCEU coming together. One week until BvS, three weeks until JL starts shooting, Wonder Woman is currently shooting, Suicide Squad in post-production and released in a bit under five months.

Let's get this rolling.

Watched the animated DC films Batman Year One, Under the Red Hood and Justice League War in preparation for tomorrow (my first time seeing BvS).

Watching War, I'm realising that the perfect casting for Shazam would probably be Chris Pratt (who's over at Marvel, so that's probably a no-go) or Channing Tatum (would be a WAY better fit for this than he is Gambit). Ideas Elba would be my first choice for Jon Stewart, but I'm clueless as to who should be Martian Manhunter, Hal Jordan and so on.

Can't wait for tomorrow!

Wish DC wouldn't have done this whole different flash and green arrow characters for TV and movies.

It's a mistake of you ask me. TV arrow is bad ass, man should thrown into the justice league. Same with flash.

No need to use different characters.

Wish DC wouldn't have done this whole different flash and green arrow characters for TV and movies.

It's a mistake of you ask me. TV arrow is bad ass, man should thrown into the justice league. Same with flash.

That's what I thought too, at least initially. The skinny, bearded Ezra Miller to play Barry Allen? Not a chance!

And then I see this

http://http://www.comicbookmovie.com/batman_vs_superman/a-bulked-up-ezra-miller-looks-a-lot-more-like-the-flash-than-a132543

Bulked and cleaned up. This has me even more excited for JL and seeing BvS tomorrow. Though, it makes me wonder...will he dye his hair? Aquaman is traditionally blond, but is now dirty blond with lighter streaks. Barry Allen is supposed to have pure blond hair.

Come on DC, please don't let me down with this small detail...

Arrow hasn't been a bad ass since season 2, the show has turned into a mess. Flash is great though but they cant use him in the movies, he's already used up a bunch of rogues.

Keep them separate so I can keep dreaming of a Crisis on Infinite Earths movie.

Arrow hasn't been a bad ass since season 2, the show has turned into a mess.

Indeed. I was thinking this when I watched the most recent episode. The fighting and action has been slowed down and has been more clunky, and it just never feels real - how can NOONE actaully hit the guy with a bullet, even though he's just walking towards them.

Damien Dhark was interesting in the beginning but just like with Ra's al Ghul they have dragged him too long. The series really can't stand up to 23 episodes per season which is a shame. They could have done it more like Daredevil, 10 episodes a season but tightly written and acted instead of this.

Stephen Amell has even gained a little weight, hasn't he? He doesn't look as much in shape as previously (i.e. season 1 and 2).

(Agree with Flash, as well, that's got way better but then again, Arrow was quite good too in the beginning.)

I think WB have very wisely kept their options open to add more properties into the slate.

I mean, look at 2018, 2019 and 2020. Only 2018 (with Aquaman in July) has a movie slated for release after June.

So, *hopefully*, with Affleck's Live by Night and Justice League being released October and November 2017 respectively, we could see The Batman as soon as late 2018.

Hopefully.

Isn't the whole point that DC break out from Batman though. A solo Batman movie isn't going to help their cinematic universe, it's just another Batman movie, and they were already doing great with those.

Isn't the whole point that DC break out from Batman though. A solo Batman movie isn't going to help their cinematic universe, it's just another Batman movie, and they were already doing great with those.

I don't think so. I think they're just looking to have successes beyond Batman.

Your first sentence I couldn't disagree with more. Argue what you will, but Batman is among the top three most well known comic book characters in history, and especially in the modern era, so saying it's supposed to be them moving away from Batman seems extremely counter intuitive.

A Batman movie won't help the DCEU? Urm...it's almost universally agreed that Ben Affleck's portrayal of Bats/Wayne is possibly the best on the silver screen to date, and is currently one of the most popular things about the DCEU's current state, and delving deeper into his lore would be great for both movie fans in general and comic book fans too. World-building will take place in every DCEU film, and he won't take the shine off of other characters like you suggest (unless, of course, he ends up having a major role in say Aquaman and Green Lantern Corps) by having a solo outing.

The last two Batman movies alone (Nolan's The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises) are not only critically acclaimed, but also grossed a little over $2 billion worldwide between them. For comparison, the first six MCU films (before The Avengers) grossed around $2.3 billion worldwide between them.

Batman is a massive property, and if handled right could, in my opinion, be in for an Oscar nod. Affleck certainly has it in him, as we all know.

I don't think so. I think they're just looking to have successes beyond Batman.

That's a good way of phrasing it.

Batman Beyond confirmed

Honestly, there's nothing wrong with the cinematic universe. It's a pretty compelling one. The problem is a virtually non-sensical movie set in it (although, if you ask me it's just aggressively inaccessible – I literally only just understood what the Hell the opening scene in Africa was about the other day).

The world of Batman v Superman isn't the problem.

Edited by Daft
A word

Honestly, there's nothing wrong with the cinematic universe. It's a pretty compelling one. The problem is a virtually non-sensical movie set in it (although, if you ask me it's just aggressively inaccessible – I literally only just understood what the Hell the opening scene in Africa was about the other day).

The world of Batman v Superman isn't the problem.

Glad you edited this post. Reading it for the first time I thought you were having a stroke half way through I got so confused.

I'm writing about three different things at once and sometimes my sentences turn into weird non-linear wtf material. I'm just glad there's an edit button.

I'm more excited for Aquaman and The Flash than anything else DC have lined up.

I see the Aquaman movie as DC's Thor, and The Flash just has great potential to be awesome.

My post from yesterday:

I think WB have very wisely kept their options open to add more properties into the slate.

I mean, look at 2018, 2019 and 2020. Only 2018 (with Aquaman in July) has a movie slated for release after June.

So, *hopefully*, with Affleck's Live by Night and Justice League being released October and November 2017 respectively, we could see The Batman as soon as late 2018.

Hopefully.

And today's big news:

Two new DC films added to the slate, for October 5th 2018 and November 1st 2019 respectively.

Told you I'm Batman

Batman and Superman movies presumably.

The Batman I couldn't be more excited for, a Man of Steel sequel though, I'm not too sure about. It depends. A certain event in BvS could see this Superman become lighter in tone and more like the man in the comics.

The other bit of news is that Wonder Woman had moved up three weeks to June 2nd 2017.

Did it suffer "massive drop offs" in the second week? From I've seen it has a fairly average drop off.

Plus that article says it's moving away to focus on other franchises such as...DC? How is that not the DCEU?

I was referring to the fact that things outside the tent poles, your lower budget films, are being pushed aside. As a business it makes sense, but they've had recent success in the mid/low budget areas: Creed, The Intern and Midnight Special, for example. It's bad for the industry in general.

As for average drop off...I'm not too sure. A near 70% drop was steeper than many expected from opening weekend to second, and it'll be lucky if it's making over $10 million in three weekends time.

The drop off was one of the biggest ever recorded from what I've read.

That article is confusing though yeah. It's not saying WB are planning to release fewer DC movies off the back of BvS' performance, as you'd expect... but that DC will release fewer original movies... presumably so that if the movies do underperform, they still have a financial base to fall back on. Very strange.

Is the drop off that big? I'm sure I read it was around the 60% mark and most movies are ~55% or something like that, but then I was only partially keeping up on things when I was on holiday so maybe I'm wrong.

68.4% from what I'm reading.

Worse than the recent Fantastic 4, the same as X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and only bettered in comic book history by Hulk 2003 on 70%.

5th biggest fall in cinema history for a film taking over $100million in it's first week.