NEurope
ReZourceman

DC Cinematic Universe Discussion

8 minutes ago, bob said:

They already shot it?

This is what baffles me. If the thing is finished but they don't want to pay for a cinema release then just give it a release on a streaming service. 

I guess there's a fair amount of CGI that they don't want to pay for.

I wonder if part of it has anything to do with The Flash movie and their worries about that. With Michael Keaton in both they seem to be linked.

Edited by Happenstance

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

This is what baffles me. If the thing is finished but they don't want to pay for a cinema release then just give it a release on a streaming service. 

I saw something from them yesterday about not releasing films on streaming services (or debuting them anyway) going forward because something something diminishes quality?

As I'm here I went to see that DC League of Super Pets and it was fun. Silly as you'd expect but perfectly entertaining. Surprising amount of swearing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

According to Variety, their sources have said it might partially be down to wanting to recoup costs through typical Hollywood accountancy fudging via tax write-offs. 

Even before David Zaslav took the reins of the newly formed Warner Bros. Discovery as CEO this spring, the exec went on a well-publicized listening tour designed to repair the company’s relationship with the creative community. As part of that effort, Zaslav has made no secret of reversing Kilar’s strategy and committing to releasing first-run feature films in theaters before putting them on HBO Max.

“Batgirl” found itself on the bad end of that decision, apparently neither big enough to feel worthy of a major theatrical release nor small enough to make economic sense in an increasingly cutthroat streaming landscape. Spending the money to expand the scope of “Batgirl” for theaters — plus the $30 million to $50 million needed to market it domestically and the tens of millions more needed for a global rollout — could have nearly doubled spending on the film, and insiders say that was a non-starter at a company newly focused on belt-tightening and the bottom line. (Spokespeople for Warner Bros. and Warner Bros. Discovery declined to comment for this story.)

Releasing the movie on HBO Max would seem to be the most obvious solution. Instead, the company has shelved “Batgirl” — along with the “Scoob!” sequel — and several sources say it will almost certainly take a tax write-down on both films, seen internally as the most financially sound way to recoup the costs (at least, on an accountant’s ledger). It could justify that by chalking it up to a post-merger change of strategy.

Anyways, it's a weird one. I don't know how, but post-merger they have managed to be consistent with the old regime in making increasingly frustrating decisions for DC live-action content. Pinning a reset on trying to do Flashpoint and throwing characters out of the pram is going to be very fun...to watch from the outside, while diehard DC fans lose their minds. 

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Julius said:

According to Variety, their sources have said it might partially be down to wanting to recoup costs through typical Hollywood accountancy fudging via tax write-offs. 

13 hours ago, Ashley said:

Seems like it's all about tax write offs

Batpoint.jpg

:p

• Haha 1

That makes me think that they will release the entire movie one picture at a time on Twitter. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, MindFreak said:

That makes me think that they will release the entire movie one picture at a time on Twitter. 

I'm going to print out every one of those pictures and make my own flipbook. 

I'll voiceover every part myself. And hum the soundtrack. And make the sound effects.

WHACK! POW! BAM!

29 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

I'm going to print out every one of those pictures and make my own flipbook. 

I'll voiceover every part myself. And hum the soundtrack. And make the sound effects.

WHACK! POW! BAM!

It's really a miracle that @Eenuh married you

• Haha 1

It's weird that the superman film isn't out on 4th July, instead exactly a week later. You'd think given how rah-rah patriotism that franchise can get it would be obvious. 

Wonder how long it'll be before there's a campaign to get Donald Faison as Booster Gold because of Legends of Tomorrow. 

Pretty nice trailer but it kinds of... Spoils the entire story and cameo? But at least it looks decent and will probably watch it. 

I'm sure they'd rather people be talking about the cameo than whatever crimes Miller has gotten into this week in fairness

• Like 1