NEurope
ReZourceman

DC Cinematic Universe Discussion

I believe they've said the original still remains canon. And I'm sure they're at least a little relieved they can distance themselves from Whedon at the moment. 

• Thanks 1

There's also How I Met Your Mother, but I'm pretty sure that was a much lazier thing where they released an alternate ending which just ends earlier, so the credits roll just before they chucked the title character into the trash.

1 hour ago, Cube said:

There's also How I Met Your Mother, but I'm pretty sure that was a much lazier thing where they released an alternate ending which just ends earlier, so the credits roll just before they chucked the title character into the trash.

I think there were minor amendments but pretty much a cut rather than anything else. 

Although that's an example where the creators should have been more open to change rather than sticking to something they came up with 9 years earlier.

I ended up watching the Snyder Cut after all as it turns out it was just made available to watch on the regular Sky Cinema channel straight away so no extra charge.

I can’t really decide which version I think is better. They’re both pretty terrible but in different ways. I do hope though that this is the last we see of Snyder connected to any DC movies.

One thing that really stands out though in the Snyder Cut is the music. So many terrible musical choices that don’t fit moments at all. It’s impressive just how bad they are.

Id say my fears of the Darkseid cgi were correct, it felt like a budget video game. Some bad green screen work throughout and while I don’t like Cyborg’s design anyway, there were still some shots that made it look even worse than before.

• Like 2

Watched this last night. Really enjoyed it. It's about a million times better than the shit Whedon gave us. 

More, please.

Sigh. So many diversion opinions! It's hard for me to decide if I want to spend 4 hours on this. I enjoyed the original alright, nothing spectacular but I went in expecting the worst and found a faulty but overall enjoyable movie with some cool heroes. But four hours is quite a commitment to asknof the viewer. 

8 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

Sigh. So many diversion opinions! It's hard for me to decide if I want to spend 4 hours on this. I enjoyed the original alright, nothing spectacular but I went in expecting the worst and found a faulty but overall enjoyable movie with some cool heroes. But four hours is quite a commitment to asknof the viewer. 

Maybe just split it into two viewings. I still think it’s worth seeing to make up your own mind on it.

Daft recommended to me to do chapters 1&2 (70 minutes), 3&4 (70 minutes) and the rest (110). Probably how I'll end up doing it. 

I hope they do use the Flash movie to do the rumoured reboot to the DCEU, keeping what worked and getting rid of the rest. While I do want a reboot to get a better crafted universe there are still parts of the current movies that it would be a shame to lose. Cavill is one that I think deserves a chance to play a more traditional Superman who actual inspires hope instead of the bleak version he's been stuck with.

16 hours ago, MindFreak said:

The movie is divided into different parts, as Ashley mentioned, so you could just treat it like watching episodes in a series and split it over 2 or 3 days. We were a bit silly and watched it all in one go, finishing at 3am haha. 

Funnily enough, yesterday the original Justice League was on tv and so we decided to have it on in the background to compare it to the Snyder cut. There's a looooot of differences. One of the main things we noticed is how much quicker everything is in the original. You can tell they had to stick to a shorter running time and so just edited out loads of footage... which didn't help the film at all. I think more time is given to each character and sequence in the new version, which improves the storytelling. In the original it all feels rushed and a bit pointless. 

So having seen both back to back, I preferred the Snyder Cut. It's still not an amazing movie (but then I find superhero films rarely are amazing apart from the Nolan ones maybe), but they've managed to improve on it at least. Flash and Cyborg received a bit more screentime which was nice, as they felt a bit tacked on in the original. 

• Like 1

I finally finished watching Justice League. Had to watch it over a few nights as I don't have the time to watch a 4 hour film in one sitting (did I ever?).

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. It started off pretty badly, but definitely got better as it went on. 

I think Snyder is really good at putting together a good looking film. There are some amazing shots in there, and some good set pieces. However, most of the dialogue was clunky and awkward, notably the introduction of Cyborg (they really should have given him and the Flash their own intro films), and anything the baddies said. Talking of badguys, I got really confused when they kept bringing up Darkseid, because i could have sworn that he died in BvS?! I just checked, and apparently that was Doomsday, but you can understand my confusion when both of them have 8 letter names beginning with 'D', and look pretty much identical. Big, bulky, lumpy grey men with grumpy looking faces.

I also think that Snyder tends to write things that look cool, but doesn't stop to think if it actually makes sense. Like when Wonder Woman straight up murdered that guy at the beginning, and destroys a whole floor of the museum, for absolutely no reason at all. It looked very cool, but really seemed out of character for Wonder Woman.

Anyway, I was enjoying the film, right up until the end, and then the epilogue happened, together with the 15 minute long teaser for the next film. Really Zack? 15 minutes? Featuring a weird conversation with the Joker that really wasn't necessary, or made any sense at all. I spent the first few minutes thinking my copy of the film had gotten out of order, and this scene should have been in the middle somewhere. 

Anyway, other than that, I thought it was ok. I would give it a 6.5/10.

I also watched Wonder Woman: 1984 over the weekend with my wife. It follows a similar theme to the first film where the first 2/3 is pretty good, but the ending falls apart. I really liked Max Lord, and though the wishing plotline was pretty good. But then WW suddenly learns how to fly and then puts on that weird golden suit, and Cheetah suddenly turns into an extra from Cats, it just went downhill. Also, i'm glad Max Lord found his son at the end, but the film conveniently glossed over the millions of people who presumably died when the nuclear warheads hit? I.e. the ones not wished into existence?

Something my wife mentioned was just how bad it looked whenever Wonder Woman was swinging from her lasso. It just seemed really janky, like all the physics were wrong. I don't know why they did it like that. Maybe it was just cheap CGI...

I would give WW:1984 a 7/10. My wife said it was the worst superhero film she has seen, but then she hasn't seen JL, so i think her score probably echoes mine.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bob said:

I also think that Snyder tends to write things that look cool, but doesn't stop to think if it actually makes sense. Like when Wonder Woman straight up murdered that guy at the beginning, and destroys a whole floor of the museum, for absolutely no reason at all. It looked very cool, but really seemed out of character for Wonder Woman.

I half expected her to turn around and see blood dripping from all the kids ears. 

1 hour ago, bob said:

Looks good. The shark man looks pretty funny.

And he has an interesting romantic historic...

So continuing my streak of watching DC films, I watched Aquaman the other day. 

It's probably my favourite of the recent ones I've seen. It definitely suffers from some shit writing, but the visuals and ideas are pretty fun. I love that they just went all in with the silly costumes and riding around on fish etc (even when they are shown to be able to swim faster than the animals they're riding around on). I do wish that they had been able to develop and explore some of the other underwater nations though - they seemed interesting. 

Music was pretty great, I loved King Orm's motif that played ominously every time he said anything. Bam bam BAAAAAAAAM!

Anyway, 7.5/10.

DC Fandome is coming back on October 16th. 

Seems a little on the early side compared to last year's events, I know the first one in August was a bit of pivot due to them having to cancel their E3 showing and not being at Comic Cons, but still.

Hopefully a sign that there's a lot in store! 

Edited by Julius

New Suicide Squad trailer:

Doesn't look half-bad, I must say. Will watch it when it's available on streaming.

I haven't seen all of the DC films but I've seen most of the big ones (Man of Steel, Batman v Superman, Wonder Woman, Suicide Squad and Aqua Man) but I was looking for some trash to watch this last week so I thought I'd give a few more of them a chance. I thought WW84 was pretty bad, it just wasn't very entertaining (none of the action sequences were very impressive and it looked pretty cheap at times too) and I felt the same about Zack Snyder's Justice League although it was a bit more enjoyable (despite the absurd length) so I wasn't expecting much from The Suicide Squad when I watched it last night but it was a pleasant surprise. It has so much more personality about it than the other films I've seen, the humour doesn't land all the time and the narrative isn't anything to write home about but it's at least always entertaining - definitely the best DC EU film I've seen (if you discount Joker) so it's well worth checking out. 

Yeah. Saw the Suicide Squad earlier as well. It's entertaining but also mostly forgettable. But it's better than the first. I forgot anything I saw in the trailer though, and didn't read anything about it, so the opening was pretty bold and funny.

Why do DC always skip too far ahead? We barely know this version of The Flash or Batman as neither have had their own film, we need a bigger build up to give the event a bit more meaning. 

29 minutes ago, Cube said:

Why do DC always skip too far ahead? We barely know this version of The Flash or Batman as neither have had their own film, we need a bigger build up to give the event a bit more meaning. 

They're pretty much the same as the countless versions we've seen before so no need? 🤷‍♂️