NEurope
ReZourceman

DC Cinematic Universe Discussion

Black Manta looks amazing. Better than the comics. 

tenor.gif?itemid=12204081

I'm wet for Orm, the trench, Atlana, Mera, Mamoa, Vulko.

On 06/06/2018 at 10:53 PM, Sméagol said:

I kind of like the direction they're going with their new film.

This was an absolute blast. Very funny, and a few surprisingly dark jokes. But also fart jokes. Poking fun at mainly DC, but also Marvel, and pop culture in general. Most fun I had with DC in a cinema since years. And the most fun I'll be having for the coming years, let's be honest.

No-one’s mentioned it yet, but reports in recent days have suggested that Henry Cavill seems to be on his way out from his role as Superman. The spark which supposedly resulted in this was talks of him appearing in Shazam deteriorating to the point of a stand-off. WB has somewhat attempted to deny this, but their official statement seems more like a smokescreen than the genuine truth. This, of course, comes after nearly two years of rumours and speculation that Ben Affleck is on his way out from the Batman role. Rumours have suggested that Michael B. Jordan could be next in line to become Superman if Cavill does leave. 

There seems to be some element of truth to this, and could even be so simple as contract talks temporarily breaking down between Cavill and WB. Either way, I feel like Cavill is an excellent fit for the Superman role (beyond his obvious physique), and I have to admit that I feel like DC and WB have absolutely shafted him when it comes to his portrayal of the character. 

That trailer perhaps showed a bit too much but it looks like solid entertainment. Nothing too great or deep but good fun nonetheless.

Spoiler

I see they found a way of chucking out Snyder's five-pointed trident for an actual trident.

• Haha 1

Aquaman is out today (at least here in Denmark) and is receiving mixed reviews. The dialogue is supposed to be ... bad... and the actors aren't convincing. However, it currently holds a score of 8.2 based on 6,000 submissions on IMDb while the Metacritic score is 53.

Guess it's (unsurprisingly) one of those movies that you have to see in order to judge properly - like well, every movie...

Matt Reeves’ The Batman has been handed a release date of June 25th 2021. Yes — the film that he was brought onto back in February 2017. Ben Affleck will be stepping down as Batman, with the film reportedly focusing on a younger Batman. It is believed that Affleck will have a producing role on the film.

So, it probably won’t be too long until we hear that Henry Cavill will be stepping down as Superman, if recent reports (and this shakeup) are anything to go by. 

James Gunn has also been revealed to be writing and directing The Suicide Squad, aka Suicide Squad 2, after months of rumours and reports about him taking on the role. 

1 hour ago, bob said:

Wait, Suicide Squad 2 is called The Suicide Squad?

Yep. The Hollywood Reporter are reporting that it will serve a relaunch, as opposed to a sequel, with a new cast and new direction:

The pic has the title of The Suicide Squad and is not being labeled a direct sequel but as a relaunch. The 2016 original movie featured the characters Deadshot, Harley Quinn, the Joker, Captain Boomerang and Killer Croc, who are forced into the service of the government in exchange for lighter prison sentences.

Sources say that Gunn’s focus is to take the franchise in a new direction with a mostly all-new cast of characters and actors. Sources also say that the project is also very much rooted in Gunn’s vibe, as seen in the Guardians movies.

I also forgot to mention that it’s slated for August 2021. Can’t wait for The The Suicide Squad in 2024... :laughing:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

That has to be the record for shortest time between a film and it's reboot.

10 hours ago, bob said:

That has to be the record for shortest time between a film and it's reboot.

On par with the first Garland Spider-Man and Holland's. 

tenor.gif?itemid=4483207

41 minutes ago, Ashley said:

On par with the first Garland Spider-Man and Holland's. 

tenor.gif?itemid=4483207

You mean Garfield, right? 

7n_garfieldanimatedmovie00.jpg

:p

James Gunn on Suicide Squad is the right decision. But it's a shame that he doesn't continue with the same cast. They were not what was wrong with that movie. 

Yeah, who are they going to get to say "So that's it? We some kind of The Suicide Squad?"

2 hours ago, bob said:

Yeah, who are they going to get to say "So that's it? We some kind of The Suicide Squad?"

Good thing they changed the title. "we some kind of Suicide Squad 2" would sound awkward. 

Looks like DC's Deadpool. Might be worth a watch but will probably wait for it to come to Netflix.

First trailer for Joker with Joaqin Phoenix:

Not sure if it belongs in the DC Universe-thread, though. 

Thought the teaser was very well done. Liking the look of it, very dark/noir tinged and as I've see a few people saying on Twitter, there's an air of Taxi Driver about it. Didn't really have any expectations for it but I'd say that I'm definitely interested now.

Shaman out at the end of this week. Trying to decide whether to go and see it or not. Like the look of the trailers as unlike the rest of the DCEU films so far, it actually looks good to me. Probably end up going to see it if I get time next week.

I have no idea what's going on in any of these universes and why there is now a new Joker movie but fuck me, Joaquin Phoenix seems to be pulling off the role spectacularly.