NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Retro_Link

Rayman Origins

Is it just me, or is the second level in the demo incredifuckingbly difficult? As in unfair difficult.

Edit: Been playing it more, died about 20 or 30 times, I swear that if this is any indication of the quality of the game, that I'll never fucking buy it. Seriously, it's not that I'm bad at platformers, this level is seriously fucking unfair in pretty much every way possible. The first level was fine, enjoyable even, but this second one... Fuck, what the hell happened?

Edited by triforcemario

Yep - I gave up on the second level after about 40 deaths!

Is it just me, or is the second level in the demo incredifuckingbly difficult? As in unfair difficult.

Edit: Been playing it more, died about 20 or 30 times, I swear that if this is any indication of the quality of the game, that I'll never fucking buy it. Seriously, it's not that I'm bad at platformers, this level is seriously fucking unfair in pretty much every way possible. The first level was fine, enjoyable even, but this second one... Fuck, what the hell happened?

pretty sure them levels are optional in the main game.

Not played the demo yet but did the level by chance have you chasing after a red chest? If so, yeah those are optional levels that are designed to be really difficult and test your skills. The main levels are much more forgiving, enjoyable throughout and really well designed.

Not played the demo yet but did the level by chance have you chasing after a red chest? If so, yeah those are optional levels that are designed to be really difficult and test your skills. The main levels are much more forgiving, enjoyable throughout and really well designed.

I loved those levels! They required you to be inch perfect in your jumping and running. I thought one them those levels glitched on me as I just couldn't catch the chest. You had to constantly jump up a post at the end and then jump off it but the screen would move to fast for me. Turns out I was doing it wrong lol. :D

That second level drove me insane. I figured it out in the end though. You really do have to be inch perfect with your jumping.

I kept dying at the same point, about 3/4 of the way along before i realised i had been doing wall jumps all wrong. I was doing it like Mario - holding towards the wall allowing a short pause before hitting jump. Turns out this isn't necessary as Rayman does wall jumps automatically with just a press of the jump button on contact with the wall. This saved milliseconds and ultimately allowed me to complete the level.

I havn't done the third level yet. I have heard the game is better on consoles though, so now i'm not sure whether to get the PS3 version, or any version at all even as i'm lazy when it comes to consoles these days.

The console versions are cheaper and have much clearer graphics but it'd be better to get the 3DS version if you're more likely to play that lol. After waiting ages for the 3DS version I ended up getting it on the Wii since that's the cheapest, although PS3 (and strong PCs) have the best graphics as well as achievements.

Demo was alright I thought.

Graphics are nice, but I'm not too keen on the controls... partly my own mistakes... I often keep thinking you just have to hold down A to hover... and partly that they're not explained enough in the demo, like grabable surfaces/wall jumping etc...

1st level - Pretty fun! I really like the water in the game and the flowing rivers. Enemeies were a bit annoying though, the guy with the rocket launcher in the cave... everytime I punched and killed him, I would then be automatically be thrown to my death for some glitchy reason when he died! Had to time it very carefully!

2nd level - Despite being difficult I enjoyed it. I probably did it after about 20-30 goes, wasn't that bad, I'm not sure what the fuss was about! And apparently I wasn't wall jumping properly, but still did it. Just have to keep the momentum going and jump well. I got a red symbol from the chest though when I did catch up with it, not sure what this meant, not fast enough?... Could have been because when I did catch up with it I ran on past it initially, not thinking you'd have to punch it to open it.

3rd level - Didn't like the gameplay/level design[theme], so haven't gone back.

Overall, don't think it's for me though, I don't really like the overall floatyness of the gameplay, and some of the design choices.

Wii U sequel looks like it could be fun though.

The thing from the treasure chest is a red skull tooth, normally you unlock them in the game as really challenging optional stages so I'm not sure what Ubisoft was thinking having it as a level in the demo.

I downloaded the demo... hmmm...

Graphically, it is a little zoomed out but on the small screen, that was inevitable - better than not being able to see 3m in front of you like the original game's GBA port. The colours looked a little washed out though but I think that is more to do with the 3DS's screen rather than the game. Having spent a bit of time with the HD version, I thought it held up rather well.

What doesn't hold up is the gameplay. Not only does it run at a sluggish pace, the control lag is horrendous for a game like this that requires fantastic reactions to beat. It really takes the icing off what could have been a must have game (assuming you don't have access to a home console version).

I downloaded the demo last night and have just spent some time with it now.

I played this on my Vita and I thought it was a fantastic port to a handheld from the home consoles.

Unfortunately, like Captain Falcon said - the screen is slightly zoomed out for the 3ds version which does make it difficult to see what is going on at times.

However, it still looks great and I like the depth the 3d adds.

Playability wise - Captain was right again. It is too sluggish. It felt off for me the minute I started playing. I never felt in full control of Rayman and never had any problems like that with the Vita version.

It is definitely a shame, but I think most people will have picked it up on one of the home consoles - or at least now they will given it is so cheap.

Don't think this is worth the full price it will come out at for the 3ds. :sad:

Hasn't this been delayed though?!

Maybe NIntendo are trying to put the 3DS inline with the Wii U and make its new releases year old games from other systems :D

Hasn't this been delayed though?!

Maybe NIntendo are trying to put the 3DS inline with the Wii U and make its new releases year old games from other systems :D

well thats what i thought but money has been taken from account. looks like it has only been delayed in North America.

Shopto have it in stock so I assume it has just been delayed for the states, weird.

I still can't decide whether to get this or not. I always wanted to, then i played the demo which was average and a bit floaty as others had said to control. Then there's the fact everyone says it is better on consoles. I dunno, i prefer playing games on a handheld these days. I'm too lazy with consoles. On top of that, there's a possibility i might get a Vita for my birthday. If i do, i've heard this game is better on there, but then again having a new platform opens up loads of new games i would want, Uncharted, Everybody's Golf, Resistance etc. Somehow i dont think i would buy Rayman with those options.

I saw it for £15 for PS3 in Asda the other day though and was tempted. I think it's maninly because i have nothing to play at the moment that excites me. I havn't quite finished Kid Icarus yet, but i've gone off it a bit, i've also grown bored of Mario Tennis, so i would like something new to get stuck into really. Decisions, decisions.

Yeah I was always waiting for the 3DS version, and whilst I didn't mind the demo too much, everyone saying that it doesn't play how it should (on the other consoles) has put me off.

I think at this point with so many other games to play atm, I'm just gonna skip Origins and then maybe give Rayman Legends a look on Wii U.

I saw it for £15 for PS3 in Asda the other day though and was tempted. I think it's maninly because i have nothing to play at the moment that excites me. I havn't quite finished Kid Icarus yet, but i've gone off it a bit, i've also grown bored of Mario Tennis, so i would like something new to get stuck into really. Decisions, decisions.

I was bored with console gaming last year too. The Wii was only being switched on for online Call of Duty action, but then I got Rayman Origins which got me back into playing single player games on Wii for some time.

I'd suggest getting the game on console, as it plays, flows and controls better, is cheaper than picking up the 3DS version, and the PS3/360 offers HD graphics, while the Wii version offer multiple control schemes. Defintley not a game that should be ignored : peace:

my copy arrived today.

Thoughts?

If the 3DS is the only means you have to play it on then by all means go for it, but if you have a Wii or any other system then I highly suggest you get it on one of those instead. The main problem with the 3DS version is that the game doesn't run as smoothly as the others so while you're running and jumping about you might notice the game stuttering which can really interfere on the later stages which require precise timing to get past the obstacles.

It is playable and isnt actually too bad. I have the 360 version and compared to the HD/Wii versions it comes of worse no doubt!

If I paid full price I would be let down but got it for £15 so cant complain. It plays slower then the console game and few animations are missing.

Worse of all is the sound though. Ubisoft fcuked this up and should be ashamed of themselves!

Sign in to follow this