NEurope
-Dem0-

FIFA 13 Wii U

Yeah this was established a few months ago and was irritiating then. Just so incredibly fucking lazy! Probably still get the wii u version if it's any good to play with my brother and his kids online, and hopefully the gamepad features will actually add a lot. They better even them out next year though. EA have constantly fucked Nintendo over.

and hopefully the gamepad features will actually add a lot.

Being able to direct players by drawing the patch on the tablet would work really well.

Yeah hopefully a mix of pro evo wii and fifa HD. To be honest on the fly subs and tatcics appeals to me greatly and the manager mode with the pad. It all sounds great and FIFA 12 is still a great engine so I'm sure it'll be good.

But, with all the debacle of the Mass Effect revelations, I think we should all not buy any EA products during the launch window. Can you all go without a footy game for a year?

But, with all the debacle of the Mass Effect revelations, I think we should all not buy any EA products during the launch window. Can you all go without a footy game for a year?

I agree and it's not even FIFA 13, their words, not mine.

Not a problem, i can live without Fifa for a year.

Nope. If it's a decent version I'm buying it no questions. I'm not going to do an EA and cut my nose off to spite my face. Me buying or not buying the game has no relevence whatsoever!

Nope. If it's a decent version I'm buying it no questions. I'm not going to do an EA and cut my nose off to spite my face. Me buying or not buying the game has no relevence whatsoever!

Why would you buy it? It's missing many features present in the other versions. Is this how you reward lazy developers? Sure while you're at it why not buy FIFA 13 for the Wii, sorry I mean FIFA 12?

Why would you buy it?

Because it will be the best football game on Wii U and he'll still get a lot of enjoyment out of it?

Because it will be the best football game on Wii U and he'll still get a lot of enjoyment out of it?

The best? It's easy to be the best when it's the only football game on the system. By that logic it's also the worst football game for the Wii U. Name a worse football game? I repeat is this how you reward lazy developers?

I'm not being funny, but whilst releasing FIFA 12 on the Wii U re-branded as FIFA 13 isn't ideal, it's not the end of the world and certainly not anywhere near in the same league as the ME3 debacle.

Firstly, it has the updated roster - which is what most people buy the yearly FIFA update for.

Secondly, it adds a whole new dimension of play to the game with the added tactics available by utilising the tablet.

These two reasons alone will be enough for people to buy the Wii U version, what's more FIFA 12 was apparently a very good game - so with new team sheets and added controls it's a good deal for Nintendo only players or for those that want to experience a different style of play.

The ME3 issue is much worse.

I am geting this game and I don't care about Ultimate Team and if it was there I won't use it becuse I like playing as Manchester United and I only want united players

FIFA 12 was apparently a very good game..

I heard that rumour too.. turned out to be a lie :blank:

Maybe they've put more effort into the Wii version of FIFA 13..

a12-300x168.jpga13-300x168.jpg

b12-300x168.jpgb13-300x168.jpg

c12-300x168.jpgc13-300x168.jpg

d12-300x168.jpgd13-300x168.jpg

f12-300x168.jpgf13-300x168.jpg

g12-300x168.jpgg13-300x168.jpg

h12-300x168.jpgh13-300x168.jpg

i12-300x168.jpgi13-300x168.jpg

k12-300x168.jpgk13-300x168.jpg

The ME3 issue is much worse

I'll get over it..

*doesn't care about Mass Effect at all*

Edited by nekunando

Why would you buy it? It's missing many features present in the other versions. Is this how you reward lazy developers? Sure while you're at it why not buy FIFA 13 for the Wii, sorry I mean FIFA 12?

Because its not even in th same league as FIFA wii so why even mention it? Tis is an update version of FIFA 12 engine, not the FIFA 12 engine, with extra features with the gamepad which sound very good.

Like zech says most people buy the game for the updated teams and such, for me the game doesn't change too much each year (I'd prefer if they released new ones every 2 years and did yearly dlc) so it won't bother me too much and the missing modes I've literally never touched over the past few years on the ps3.

I play the 360 version of fifa 12 in work most lunchtimes against a liverpool fan in my team and I've grown to like it a hell of a lot. Wouldn't complain too much if it's just a slightly updated version of that to be honest. I'm a pro evo fan at heart though (on the Wii, that's the best game of soccer ever devised imo) so I'll be waiting to see what the lads in Konami have to say first.

I was given fifa12 on the 3ds just this week and was absolutely astounded how it even got released....t'was a trainwreck of a yoke! As a result, I don't have high hopes for any fifa on the WiiiU.

I play the 360 version of fifa 12 in work most lunchtimes against a liverpool fan in my team and I've grown to like it a hell of a lot. Wouldn't complain too much if it's just a slightly updated version of that to be honest. I'm a pro evo fan at heart though (on the Wii, that's the best game of soccer ever devised imo) so I'll be waiting to see what the lads in Konami have to say first.

I was given fifa12 on the 3ds just this week and was absolutely astounded how it even got released....t'was a trainwreck of a yoke! As a result, I don't have high hopes for any fifa on the WiiiU.

FIFA 13 on WiiU is a port of FIFA 12 on the 360 with tablet controls, a few added extras and updated team sheets and stats.

New research from a money saving website in the UK has revealed that 12% of breakups in the past month have been caused by the release of FIFA 13.

The results of a new survey have revealed that more than 1 in 10 recent breakups have been influenced by the football themed video game 'FIFA 13' in some way.

The survey, conducted by http://www.VoucherCodesPro.co.uk polled 1,124 newly single people about the reasons for their breakup. The responses revealed that 12% of those polled admitted that FIFA 13 had played a part in their break-up. All respondents had split up with their partner in the last month, after being in a relationship for a year or less.

Respondents were initially asked ‘What was the main factor in your most recent break-up?’, to which the most common response was ‘cheating’, with 36% claiming that their partner had been unfaithful. 28% stated that the relationship had simply ‘run its course’. However, 12% specifically mentioned that FIFA 13 had played a part.

When asked to elaborate further, 43% of those who had said FIFA 13 had played a part in their break-up claimed that it was down to the culprit spending more time with the game than their partner. Furthermore, 31% said it was down to FIFA 13 causing a ‘change in mood’ within the relationship.

13% directly mentioned ‘transfer deadline day’ on FIFA 13 as something that played a part in their break-up; whilst 9% said that problems with internet connection further increased relationship tensions if they were unable to play online.

Of those who had cited FIFA 13 as a factor in their break-up, 87% of the culprits playing the game were male. Of the male respondents who caused the relationship problems by playing the game, over half, 56%, claimed that they ‘didn’t regret’ their dedication to FIFA 13.

George Charles of VoucherCodesPro.co.uk had the following comment:

“We had '50 Shades of Grey' causing problems in relationships during the summer, however, now it seems like 'FIFA Shades of Grey' as another obsession takes over! People see video games as a break from reality, but it seems that the virtual world can have implications in the real world too.”

He continued:

“Video games can get addictive, but it's important to keep a hold on reality and not let it detract from daily life. Games are meant to be a source of fun not strife. Players need to put them into perspective and take a step back if it gets too much. If a game’s going badly, why not just turn off and start again?!”

Nintendo Gamer ‏@NGamer_mag

We've been playing FIFA 13 on Wii U this afternoon. We'll have a full interview and hands-on impressions up tomorrow.

Any one know if the 'Seasons' mode is going to be on Wii U? Can't find specific game mode details for toffee (well, not seasons mode anyway...) Not a fan of playing against the computer unless a cup run with my mates, but online seasons on Fifa 12 on the 360 made me pick up the '50 hour' achievement. Whether that is something to be proud of is up for debate...

Who knows. We know fuck all about pretty much everything with the wii u. It's a joke!

Who knows. We know fuck all about pretty much everything with the wii u. It's a joke!

With 5 weeks to go, it's starting to irritate me a bit now. There's some quotes today saying the Wii U version is the most 'realistic' though. It's on the official n mag site... can't post, on 3DS browser.

This is the Nintendo console version of a third party game. It won't have any key features that will appear on other consoles.

There will be some bullshit excuse, as per usual.

Who are we trying to kid? This isn't even FIFA 13. It's FIFA 12. On WiiU.

fifa13.jpg

There’s now less than a month to go until the Wii U arrives in its first territory, the US. This means most Wii U launch games are now complete and the production process is underway, with hundreds of thousands of copies of each game being manufactured as you read this. It also means us games press types can finally start playing the finished versions of these launch titles and give you more accurate impressions of the games you’ll be playing on 30 November.

Yesterday at an EA Showcase event I spent some time with the finished version of FIFA 13 on Wii U. As a massive FIFA fan and someone who loves the series so much that I take great offence any time EA drops the ball (case in point: the Wii FIFA 13 scandal), I was both excited and nervous to try out the final version of the first HD FIFA game on a Nintendo system. Was it worth the wait? To an extent.

Before we get into details, let us be the first to point at the elephant in the room and say “look at that big bloody elephant” – this is FIFA 12. Granted, it’s a heavily modified version of FIFA 12 with improved graphics and some interesting Wii U touch screen controls but the base gameplay, the menu screens, the career mode and the Be A Pro stuff are all from the Xbox 360 and PS3 version of FIFA 12, not 13.

FIFA13-wiiu-1.jpg

What this essentially means is that while FIFA 13 on Wii U will be by far the most detailed, realistic football game released on a Nintendo system to date, and while it still has the likes of the Impact Engine, the addictive career mode and the brilliant Online Seasons mode where you play against teams rated similar to yours and work your way up a division-based ranking system, it’s still missing everything that was added to FIFA 13 on Xbox 360 and PS3.

There’s no new first-touch system. There’s no skill challenge mini-games. There are none of the added little details like substitutes training on the sidelines or properly animated cameramen and policemen. There are none of the Match Day Live features, where the stats of players in exhibition games change each week according to their real-life form. The vast majority of things that are new in FIFA 13 on Xbox and PS3 aren’t in here.

Unfortunately, that isn’t where the disappointment ends. Some features that were in FIFA 12 have been taken out too. Tragically, as had been feared, there’s no Ultimate Team mode in there. There’s no ability to play as a single player online in a 22-player match. From what we could tell there was also no EA Sports Football Club functionality (though the game was offline so there’s a possibility this could kick in once the Wii U connects to the EA server). On paper, going by the number of modes alone, FIFA 13 offers even less than FIFA 12 did on HD systems.

FIFA13-wiiu-3.jpg

Now, given the recent shambles that was the Wii version, it would be easy to shout abuse at EA Sports and accuse them once again of laziness, but this time they should really be cut some slack. As was explained when we interviewed the lead designer of Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, developing for a console that’s also in development can be a difficult business and, when I spoke to the game’s producer (in an interview to go on the site later today) he confirmed this was the case here.

Rather than take a game in development – the Xbox 360 and PS3 version of FIFA 13 – and try to fit that onto a development Wii U kit that had changing specs every month or two, EA Sports decided to start with FIFA 12 because it was stable and build on that to have something ready and playable in time for launch day.

By this point we’re sure many FIFA fans will be thinking “stuff that then, no sale”. But while that was a lot of negative information to take in, it’s worth bearing in mind that FIFA 13 on Wii U has a lot of positives too. First of all, while it’s based on last year’s game certain aspects of the game’s graphics look even better than FIFA 13 did. The grass textures look a lot sharper and more detailed than they do in FIFA 13 on the Xbox 360 and PS3, and the crowd looks significantly better too with rounded polygonal people as opposed to the horrible blobmen still featured in the other versions.

FIFA13-wiiu-4.jpg

The Wii U GamePad also offers a number of interesting new additions too. When playing normally you can also view the game on the GamePad screen, and tapping or dragging players on the screen lets you pass to them or send them on runs. A flick of the GamePad (or pressing in the right analogue stick) also brings up a net, which you can tap to shoot at a specific part of the goal – naturally, some of the accuracy still depends on the shooting ability of the player involved.

There are five other tabs running down the side of the touchscreen that bring up different menus. The first is a sort of information screen that shows a radar view of the pitch and lets you tap individual players to get all their stats and see how well they’ve been playing. The tab below that takes you to a squad screen where you can check on your players’ fitness and make substitutions on the fly.

Following that is a formation screen which lets you quickly switch to a more attacking or defensive style depending on how the game’s going, and under that is a ridiculously detailed tactics screen where you can set the AI to play as aggressive, direct or fanciful as you like. Finally, the last tab lets you set up man-marking. Each of these tabs let the game flow smoothly without much interruption, and while it can be tricky getting used to looking down at the screen instead of just pausing the game like you’re used to, eventually it does become easier to do and in time it’ll no doubt become second nature.

FIFA13-wiiu-5.jpg

The GamePad also lets you play as just a manager rather than a player. While this isn’t the most exciting thing in the world when playing on your own, I tried it in co-op with a fellow colleague and thoroughly enjoyed it. While the player with the Pro Controller played the game like standard FIFA, the player with the GamePad takes the role of the manager, making subs and tactical changes. Crucially, the player with the GamePad also gets to drag paths for the players, telling defenders which player to mark and making forward runs when attacking. Any players moved by the GamePad manager get a mark above them on the TV, so the other player can see the run that’s been made for them.

It’s a brilliant way of making a friend take over the AI, and the clever inclusion of a co-op career mode makes it clear that EA is keen for duos to play as a team as well as playing each other. Of course, if the whole idea of one person being the player and the other being the manager doesn’t appeal to you, both can be standard players should you wish (though only one will have the GamePad features, of course).

FIFA13-wiiu-2.jpg

Ultimately, your excitement level for FIFA 13 on Wii U should come down to your previous experience with FIFA games. If you’re upgrading from the Wii and have never had the pleasure of owning a FIFA game on the Xbox 360 or PS3 then FIFA 13 will be a whole new world of football realism for you and your mind will truly be blown. For anyone else who owns an HD version of FIFA 13 (or FIFA 12) this may not be the huge leap forward you were initially hoping for and you may want to hold fire until the inevitable FIFA 14 to see if things like Ultimate Team are reinstated.

Will this be the best FIFA game on a Nintendo console? Without a doubt. Will the GamePad features be enough to make up for the lack of features? We’ll save that for the full review nearer release where we’ll cover the game in greater detail.

http://www.nintendo-gamer.net/2012/10/19/fifa-13-wii-u-hands-on-with-the-finished-version/2/

Interview: FIFA 13 Wii U

fifa13-wiiu.jpg

As well as going hands-on with the finished version of FIFA 13 on Wii U (you can read our in-depth thoughts on the game here), we also had the chance to sit down with the lovely Matt Prior, the line producer of the Wii U version. After making it clear that he couldn’t answer any questions about the Wii version (oh… so he read “that” article, then), Matt was kind enough to talk candidly about the development process of the game and the challenges and compromises that come with making a launch game title.

NINTENDO GAMER: First of all, could you tell us a little bit more about the GamePad features and what they add to the game?

MATT PRIOR: Yup! We’ve crammed a lot onto the GamePad and targeted a number of different areas. The demographics for a Nintendo console are so varied – on the one hand you’ve got the more casual gamers which inherently come with a Nintendo console but at the same time, such is the level and quality of the game similar to Xbox 360 and PS3 it’s bound to attract the hardcore guys as well.

So with the GamePad we’ve tried to gear towards everyone. As an example from the hardcore perspective, with single-player functionality we’ve added a number of gameplay enhancements and improvements in terms of control so it’s the most controllable version of FIFA ever. One of the key mandates we had when we set out was that we didn’t want to break the existing gameplay experience so if you’re coming to this game from the PS3 and 360 you don’t need to relearn how to play it on Wii U. The GamePad improvements are optional, and what you find is people wean themselves in and when they get it, they really get it.

A good example is touchscreen shooting. Now when you’re in a shooting position you can quickly shake the GamePad or press in the right analogue stick and it’ll bring up an image of the net on the GamePad, and now you can tap where you want to shoot, which ultimately makes the game more rewarding. With the casuals particularly, who don’t know understand how the aiming mechanism works, there was always this kind of sense of hit-and-hope – “I was clean through, I pressed the button, it felt like a bit of a roll of the dice, and if I could see that the keeper’s leaving a massive gap at the top left I couldn’t do anything about it” – well now you can with the addition of the touchscreen shooting.

Similarly, you’ve got touchscreen passing so now you’re no longer at the mercy of the AI to make your passing decision. Often when you play FIFA you hear people shouting “oh no, no, not that guy” because they’re looking at the pass, they press pass and the ball goes to a different guy. So now you can tap anywhere on the touchscreen and it’ll pass there, or hold it down for a lofted pass. It really opens it up to a footballing brain – if you see a pass, now you can make it with no excuse. That’s also a downside because you can’t blame the game anymore!

FIFA13_WiiU_1.jpg

We also have all-new set-pieces so for penalty kicks and free kicks you can now lift up the GamePad and look through it from a kind of player’s eye view – you can even look around the stadium, which is nice – and that really adds a different feeling to taking that set-piece. Again, it’s a much more rewarding experience. If you take it from a player’s eye view and you see it curl round the wall it feels nice. Again, it’s also an area where casuals didn’t quite understand how that system worked so this is a much more intuitive system.

From a more casual standpoint we really feel the Wii U is an opportunity to embrace more casuals. We know there’s a lot of people out there who love football and by virtue of loving football like FIFA because it looks like football and sounds like football, but don’t necessarily play because there’s this barrier to entry in that they’re non-gamers. So you hand those guys a GamePad, where every button does something, or actually does multiple things with modifiers and the so on, he’s just like “oh my goodness, what am I doing”, and if they ever did play they’d get hammered 8-0 and it’d be a completely unenjoyable experience.

So we’ve embraced the touchscreen which is such an everyday part of life – nobody’s scared of a touchscreen, you get on a plane and the entertainment system’s a touchscreen, the learning curve is minimum – and now you can become the manager so you don’t have that pressure of moving everyone around but at the same time you have a lot of control. So you can sit back and watch the game but there are a number of things you can do through the tab system on the GamePad.

FIFA13_WiiU_2.jpg

You can send players on runs, you can tap on a player and analyse his stats, and see his match rating. The same with the opposition, you can analyse who’s tearing you to pieces, who the dangermen are. You can tap on the stats and see where all the shots are coming from. All of that information leads you to decisions you can change, and that can all be done on the GamePad as well so without pausing the game you can make substitutions, switch your wingers, change your formations and tactics – we’ve got millions of combinations in there you can make on the fly – and also man-marking.

So it really is a gateway into FIFA for those casuals who can either play against or alongside a friend. We’ve got this co-op mode so you can actually join forces, which is a nice thing. One guy’s playing – or four guys are playing – while you’re controlling the rest of the players. It’s a nice, different spin on the gameplay. So it really embraces the whole sort of wider demographic.

Well, so far so overwhelmingly positive but the questions are about to get a little more awkward. Pop over to page two for the response to the big question – “is this really just FIFA 12?”

FIFA13_WiiU_05.jpg

NG: Phew. We noticed a few visual enhancements as well, like the grass and crowd.

MP: Exactly, I’m glad you noticed those. So yeah, we’ve improved the grass and crowd. When developing we were limited by what we could improve so we had to pick our battles, so to speak. Grass is obviously something you’re staring at nine-tenths of the time so that was a bit of a no-brainer to improve. And then the crowd is something we’ve never really been totally happy with before – when you see them up close they’re a bit like LEGO bricks – so we’ve doubled the resolution of the crowd. It really has an impact on the game overall.

NG: How has it been developing on the Wii U? Has it been tricky?

FIFA13WiiU_Cech_save.jpg

MP: It has been tricky, but no more tricky than any other developer. Nintendo hasn’t been any better or worse than anyone else, it’s just the way things go. One of the common misconceptions is that we get given a final Wii U and start building on it. We don’t. They’re developing the console as we’re developing the game so it’s kind of “two steps forward and one step back” in a way because they’ll update their SDK (software development kit), which is kind of the operating system, and that’ll break some of the stuff we’ve done so then we have to fix that and start again and then they’ll do it again, and you’ll get multiple ones of these over the course of the project. But that’s true of any console developer.

The challenges are – well, take the version of FIFA 13 on the Xbox 360, for example. They’re starting from FIFA 12 – a nice, solid, finished game – and they just build on top of it. We started with absolutely nothing so the bulk of our energy in making the game is bringing it over from the PS3 and Xbox 360 and having a foundation on which to build. And one of the challenges is that gives us less time to work on game features so you have to be very buttoned-up and know what you want to do because you don’t have the luxury of doing something and thinking “nah, nah, that’s not really working” then throwing it away and trying something else. You really have to pick your battles and focus on what you know (or think or hope) will be really powerful features that will really change things. So there’s a little more pressure in that sense.

NG: Well, that leads me to the first of my difficult questions.

MP: Oh, here we go! [laughs]

NG: Like you say, the intention is to make this game appeal to all audiences, casual and hardcore. Now, the hardcore players who love the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions who buy the Wii U will naturally ask where the Ultimate Team mode is.

MP: Well, as Nintendo is building its console it’s also building its online infrastructure. Ultimate Team is a very complicated mode – it took four or five years to be on PS3 and 360 by which time their online systems had developed much further along, so Ultimate Team is a hugely complicated thing with multiple servers – you’ve got the trade market, the auction market – all of these really important pieces to make it the experience it is. So consequently, the online space on Wii U is just not yet in an area where we can devote to and do that at this stage. It’s certainly something we want to look at longer-term but at this point it’s just way too complicated for a first iteration title.

NG: We have a lot of Scottish readers who were asking us about the Rangers situation and whether they were going to be in the game [history lesson: Rangers went into administration and formed a new company which started at the bottom of the Scottish Third Division, which isn't a league in FIFA]. Could you tell me what happened there?

MP: I wasn’t actually involved in that process because I was working on the game development – did they actually get in?

NG: They did, they’re in the Rest Of The World section.

MP: Right, they’re in. I thought they got in right at the end. I know there was a lot of back and forth and… I can’t really comment because I honestly don’t know what the situation was. I know it was very complicated and went through various “yes it is”, “no it isn’t”, “yes it is”… we were fighting all the time to get them in because obviously Rangers is a huge club and we don’t want to disappoint the Scottish players, so from a company perspective we did everything we could to get them in there so I’m glad we finally got them. Are you a Rangers fan?

FIFA13WiiU_.jpg

NG: No, I’m a Celtic fan but I like beating them.

MP: Especially now they’re rubbish!

NG: [Quickly moving on before half our Scottish readership boycotts us] The difficult question that has to be asked is this. Some people who play this game will say: “This is FIFA 12″.

MP: Which it isn’t, but I know what you mean.

NG: Well, the gameplay and Virtual Pro accomplishments and the Career mode and everything are from FIFA 12. Was this just a case of, as you said earlier, developing FIFA 13 at the same time as the Wii U was being developed?

MP: That’s exactly what it is. Just like anything, if you’re building something you need a solid foundation on which to build and if you’re constantly changing the foundation it could come crumbling down around you. So in a similar way we needed a solid piece of codebase on which to port over because the porting process is fraught with its own bugs and all the rest of it. So if you’re bringing over something in development that has already bugs in it, and building it while it has bugs it’s just technically impossible to do. So we have to pick a point in time where the codebase is sufficiently solid and not going to change, and bring that over.

FIFA13WiiU_02.jpg

So it’s not FIFA 12, it’s not FIFA 13 as you see it on PS3 and 360, it’s kind of somewhere in between. Having said that – and I should point out that it’s still got all the big ticket features, like the Impact Engine, precision dribbling, tactical defending [features from FIFA 12 - NG], but not the new things that were still in development while we were developing like the new first touch – but having said that, the flipside is we’ve got a whole new bunch of stuff that the PS3 and 360 hasn’t so you can kind of balance it out. Do they have manager controls, do they have co-op, no and no.

So… we kind of have the main thing, it’s like 90% there, and it’s got the big ticket features, and it’s on a Nintendo console, so this is the first time they’ve had the ability to play the award-winning next-gen engine so with that on top of all the unique stuff, I think it’s a very complete package. You will inevitably get comparisons with the 360 and PS3 versions but I think you’ve got to take it as a whole thing.

NG: So do you reckon next year when FIFA 14 comes around the playing field will be a bit more even?

MP: Yeah. We’ll see how the Wii U does, for sure, but in terms of technical limitations it’s definitely the case that the first year is the hardest year because you’re building off of nothing. Now we’ve got this to build on, the bulk of the work is done in that respect so certainly moving forward it should be easier to maintain parity.

FIFA13WiiU_CareerMode-Contract.jpg

http://www.nintendo-gamer.net/2012/10/19/interview-fifa-13-wii-u/2/

Edited by canand
Automerged Doublepost