NEurope
Ashley

Ain't Got No Job Satisfaction

Graduating with a fancy masters degree in mechanical engineering I had the opportunity to apply for standard jobs in engineering. I chose to look into trying to get into the games industry.

Having worked part time for a year and living off savings for another I've made some progress but not got the first job in the industry. Can't help feeling that the longer I'm out of work the smaller my engineering safety net gets.

Until I get that first break I won't be able to say I don't regret anything about taking the decision. I know I could have earned more in engineering but as long as I have enough to live on games is always going to be what I want to be doing.

I don't technically see it as a job, but i suppose since i'm getting paid to do it i suppose a phd counts...

It's not going too badly at the moment. There were times when i thought about failing, and during those moments i was adamant that i didn't want to continue down the academic route, but now that everything is going a bit better i'm reconsidering. Especially since i'm getting to go to loads of cool conference locations (all paid for of course) so those are definitely perks of the 'job'.

Paywise, it's a tax-free grant. So it amounts to more than minimum wage, but i have to share it with my girlfriend who is also doing a phd, but unfunded. We don't have that much money left over after bills etc, but we don't really have that many expensive hobbies, so it works out ok!

I hated my last job, but unemployment isn't much better.

I've got an interview for a job as a recruitment consultant. Anybody do that? Sounds hardcore the interview - group activites then have to give a personal presentation =/ That's just stage one as well.

Well I'm about 8 months into my Job at Asda as the car park ace. It's getting a little repetitive and boring, but at least I know what I need to do and stuff, but I'm soon hoping to move on, because I need more hours a week if I'm ever to maintain my plan of moving out with my mate and his girlfriend. Can scrape though on current pay but I'd like to make a little more for myself.

I hated my last job, but unemployment isn't much better.

I've got an interview for a job as a recruitment consultant. Anybody do that? Sounds hardcore the interview - group activites then have to give a personal presentation =/ That's just stage one as well.

Sounds positive Jay, fingers crossed for you.

I'm leaving my job on Friday for a life of Pot Noodles and uncertainty. Just couldn't deal with it anymore, nothing about the campaign worked.

How will I survive? Stay tuned.

Edited by Guy