NEurope
madeinbeats

Rayman Legends

Currently waiting for this to download. Decided to give it a go and use a £25 eShop card towards it, so only paid £12 to it. Think given the reviews and demo I played I will enjoy it, and it will certainly be worth that.

I'll post some thoughts in around 2 weeks which is roughly when I expect the demo to have downloaded with my amazing internet.

As far as I can tell, the Murphy sections require the touchscreen. Buttons don't work during those sections. Unless there's an option I'm missing. Touchscreen is superior in my eyes anyway.

Seems your forced to use the Gamepad for single player(probably due to the Murphy sections), wouldn't let me use the Pro controller anyway.

Pretty nice how it gives live updates on your friends progress. The daily challenges menu wasn't working for me earlier, just kicked me back to the main menu without any error messages.

He (it switches to Globox) moves on his own. Is it different in the other versions?

Yeah you continue controller Rayman (or whoever) and also press a button to operate Globox at the same time.

So on the Wii U it stops you playing as Rayman, you operate the Globox and do whatever and then switch to Rayman?

Yeah you continue controller Rayman (or whoever) and also press a button to operate Globox at the same time.

So on the Wii U it stops you playing as Rayman, you operate the Globox and do whatever and then switch to Rayman?

Pretty much yeah. Globox will pretty much continue moving forward until either he can't (like if there's a gap and you need to move a platform) or there's a hazard, but once you've moved the block or cleared the hazard he'll continue on. He'll jump, glide, destroy cages or whatever else automatically.

It doesn't switch back to Rayman though, you just clear the stage as Globox. I have no idea why it needs to switch from Rayman to Globox in the first place.

There's a few stages where you have to sort of dig through some mud, so I'm kind of wondering how that will work if your controlling both at the same time. Sounds easier using the Gamepad.

Hmm does seem that the gameplay itself is different.

Wii U version - Skip to 1:20

PS3 version - Skip to 1:10

Oh, right. So Murphy just snaps to the interactive object you you press a button to do the action. Sounded like you controlled both at the same time which sounded hard.

Touch screen will be so much better surely. I love the touchscreen levels.

Edited by dazzybee

Having played this for a bit this afternoon you can tell it was made for Wii U with the touch screen levels. I'm actually finding the touch sections to be really intuitive and the most fun so far. It's definitely going to be hard going back for all the little blue dudes (cant remember what they're called!) in those levels!

One thing I'm finding early on is that the game looks very much like Origins. There's more depth this time, but if I didn't know different I'd swear I was playing the same game.

I'd say the PS3/360 versions offer a different challenge. Obviously the game was designed for the Wii U, but I wouldn't say either version is "better", merely different. In some sense, Ubisoft must be commended for recognising the differences in the systems and making changes as appropriate.

Oh yeah totally. Not saying its the better version, just clearly offers a way of playing that isn't available on the other formats - which is what the Wii U should be all about.

Vita will have the same thing I reckon. It did with Origins anyway - it looked and played amazingly on Vita.

Planning to give this another go in co-op tonight. Murfy me, bitch.

Vita will have the same thing I reckon. It did with Origins anyway - it looked and played amazingly on Vita.

Sounds like they kinda gimped the Vita version taking away content seen on the other versions.

I love the Murfy levels in Co-op mode. It's just so incredibly fun.

That's how I think the gamepad controls should have been for New super mario bros U instead of placing plain blocks around.

Oh yeah totally. Not saying its the better version, just clearly offers a way of playing that isn't available on the other formats - which is what the Wii U should be all about.

It should be the better version, it was after all initially developed as an exclusive. If the Wii U version isn't the best then questions should be asked.

Too true Zechs. Too true.

I played a bit more of this last night and am really enjoying it.

I still think that there could be a bit more of a story behind it so it all gels together a little better, but I can't fault the platforming at all. It's very impressive indeed. I also love plumber / Mario Rayman! :D

GameSpot Says Wii U Version Of Rayman Legends Is Worst Version

US gaming publication GameSpot has reviewed Rayman Legends on Xbox 360 and Wii U and concludes that the Wii U version is the worst of the bunch. The publication says that this is simply down to the Murfy stages which utilise the Wii U GamePad touchscreen. The reviewer claims that these stages break the flow of the game. GameSpot has awarded the game 8.0 on the Wii U, while the Xbox 360 version has scored 9.0.

“Legends on the Wii U slams on the breaks in certain levels by putting you in control of Murfy, a helpful fly, while the AI moves Rayman. Here, you must shift your focus to the GamePad as you spread guacamole and ready catapults in an attempt to guide your bipedal friend to safety. These levels are a noticeable misstep in a game bursting with great ideas. Rayman walks forward without any involvement from you for long stretches, and oftentimes waits stubbornly while you try to pull object in the exact place he desires. Vacillating between passive and fiddly is a poor way to inject diversity. Even when things run smoothly, controlling Murfy isn’t engaging because progress requires neither puzzle solving nor dexterity on your part. There is some appeal in playing with a friend because anyone controlling Murfy can torment his or her friend. But, Legends stumbles in these stages, especially compared to the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions in which you control Murfy with a button tap while running as Rayman.”

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/09/02/gamespot-says-wii-u-version-of-rayman-legends-is-worst-version/

I expect nothing less from Gamespot.

To be fair, I am finding myself rolling my eyes when ever I get to a Murfy stage. At first it was pretty cool and a welcome change in pace. However, I do have to agree with Gamespot in that it does become an unwelcome break from the rest of the game.

It doesn't help that I don't feel particularly in control of what's going on either. And that's probably to do with the fact that you lose control over the character - and instead manipulate the level.

I don't know whether it means I'd take a whole 10 points off the score, but what ever.