NEurope
madeinbeats

Rayman Legends

I've never once seen the camera in these games go into such 'convienient for desktop wallpaper' positions as in every image you've posted above.

That's a good point, but doesn't have implications about the quality of the assets. If you are developing the game, you can play around with the camera as much as you want. You might argue that these are technically not screenshots because they're obviously staged.

It's quiet visible that these aren't drawn "as is" though, particularly in the image with the ox. It's stretched compared to the other characters. You don't create 2D artwork and stretch it beyond it's original resolution. You usually go the other way round.

Has NFC been taken out or something? i don't get it. We havent heard anything about it, espcially with this game. Unless they're going to have a sperate news release about this feature

Retard alert

Okay. Got some awful news for you guys. Rayman single player is you controlling murthy with an ai rayman....

I can't believe how fucking stupid ubisoft would be about this. Really gutting and giving me doubts whether I want it anymore.

:blank:

WHAT?

WHAT??

WHAT???

How does that even work? How does the AI Rayman know what you want to do?... whether you want to hunt out the secret rooms or not?... whether you want to go back, or to reposition yourself for jumps etc...

I guess you act as a pointer do you?

But then surely that's not possible because this is a game that requires quick responses to avoid columns of fire and falling rocks etc...??

WTF!?

So basically, the only way this game would be fun is in Local Multiplayer... which a large percentage of players can't even do!... or Online... which this game doesn't have!!!!!!!!

Oh right yeah, it could just be the music levels?... which makes sense as they're kind of 'on-rails' anyway with Rayman just running and it's up to you to clear all the obstacles and everything in time with the music.

I cannot imagine that amount of stupidity given the fact that Origins was perfectly playable solo.

The Rayman thread at gaf says its a good portion of the single player. It sounds like more than just the music levels. Need more info before I decide to cancel and wait for a price drop.

Hmmmm.... well this might have just popped most of my "Rayman > NSMBU" arguement.

Surely if you just play single player with the Wii mote, you can play it as Rayman?

Dazzy, have you got a source?

When I played the demo, you controlled Rayman. Single player. For now, I'll believe this is just particular levels of the game. If it was majority pointer controls with and AI Rayman, it would've been picked up long before now.

When I played the demo, you controlled Rayman. Single player. For now, I'll believe this is just particular levels of the game. If it was majority pointer controls with and AI Rayman, it would've been picked up long before now.

Sounds like someone has misunderstood the music sections of the game. I'd assume that it was a description of how that gameplay worked rather than the main game!

Hmmmm.... well this might have just popped most of my "Rayman > NSMBU" arguement.

Surely if you just play single player with the Wii mote, you can play it as Rayman?

Dazzy, have you got a source?

I'll try and find the video. It was ubisoft dev saying most of it is murthy controlled with 'some' classic rayman controlled levels.

Here it is: http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=185594

The optimist in me believes that Ubisoft will let you play the game as one character, without the need for an AI helper. Maybe two singleplayer modes?

Otherwise, this could be Ubisoft's huge fuck-up, which we have all been waiting to happen. :p

So some of the single player mode is controlling a this bug called Murphy than Rayman it makes me think if Ubisoft is hiding stuff about Zombi U.

The bottom line is:

JUST GET AT LEAST ONE PERSON TO PLAY THIS WITH YOU!

The only timed I played the first on my own was when I first downloaded the demo - since then, I've only played it multiplayer because it's just so much fun that way.

Nothing better than shafting your partner when they get a coin so you can grab it and steel the lums for yourself :p

TBH it did look a bit suspicious how they only ever showed co-op play...

Wouldn't it have made much more sense to have you play as Rayman and have Murthy being the one who was AI controlled?

This sounds like a game killer. Trust Ubisoft to fuck up a great concept in one fell swoop yet again...

or maybe not! Going by Nintendo Power's latest hands on it seems that they've changed how it works...

Though Rayman Legends is intended for -and best enjoyed with- a bunch of friends sitting on the sofa, it does offer the option to play solo. In that case, you'll spend the vast majority of your time controlling Rayman or one of the other platforming heroes, and when you get to a section that requires Murfy's assistance, you'll temporarily switch to him while the AI takes the reins of your other character. We've yet to try this for ourselves, but the developers promise the AI will perform flawlessly to avoid frustration.

Crisis averted? Seems so!

Edited by Dcubed

Rayman stuff.

General/gameplay details

- Ubisoft really wanted to make Rayman Legends because of the GamePad

- Ubisoft Montpellier was one of the first third-party studios to receive Wii U dev. kits

- Michel Ancel says that the environment is very important in a platforming game, and the GamePad allows players to change the environment in new/different ways

- Up to four players lead Rayman and company through level level with Wiimotes or Wii U Pro controllers

- Fifth player manipulates surroundings with Murfy on the GamePad

- Murfy can cut ropes, lower platforms, turn gears

- Turn gears with the gyroscope

- Murfy can be mischievous as well

- It’s possible to take a health bottle from someone who’s about to take it and give it to another player

- Murfy can use the environment to wreak havoc on other players

- Ex: take lava and dump it on someone’s head

- The team wants the GamePad player “to feel like they have an identity in the game’s world”

- In single-player, you’ll mostly control Rayman or one of the other playable characters!

- Temporarily switch to Murfy when you reach certain sections

- In these cases, AI will take over the other character

- Developers promise that the AI will perform flawlessly

- No mosquito levels

- New character in each world

- Barbara is from the medieval world

Improvements made to the Origins formula

- Platforming mechanics improved over Origins

- Ex: in Origins, if you jump-kicked while running you would basically stop in midair and drop down; now you keep moving forward

- Different structure this time around as well

- Travel to any of the five worlds out of the gate

- This choice was made so that players could have options, especially if they get stuck on a level

- Ubisoft considers each world to be its own legend

- Each has its own mini story and personality

- Each world also focuses on a particular gameplay mechanic and highlights particular skills

- Abilities are all available right off the bat

Olympus world

- Nintendo Power saw an Olympus world

- Level called “Swarmed & Dangerous”

- Tons of ferocious shadow creatures chase Rayman and the others throughout the level

- Murfy can hold back a few creatures at a time

- Only works for a bit before too many of the creatures appear

- Usually need to lose a swarm by using its own momentum against it

- Ex: drop off a cliff and quickly come to a stop on the narrow ledge below

- Creatures will keep going and run into the lava

- Can kill the creatures by triggering fireworks

- Level comes to a close as the creatures chase you into a palace

- Need to jump over a little purple minion who is scrubbing the floor

- Legends has a lot of humorous touches like the above

- In the game, you’ll come across a big brute with a hammer and shield to make him drop his guard

- Murfy can tickle his armpit to drop his guard

- Another Olympus world level: Murfy holds a magic shield over the heads of the other characters to protect them from Zeus’ lightning bolts

Magic Beanstalk world

- Nintendo Power also saw Magic Beanstalk’s “Orchestral Chaos”

- Stage has players jumping, swinging, and punching to the beat of the music

- These stages have the nickname “Platform Hero” within the studio

- Traverse a giant beanstalk in the level

- Thorn-covered vines will close in around you

- Drop below the clouds in the middle of the level and into a violent storm

- Rain pours around you, with some lightning strikes

- 8-10 music stages in the final game

- At least one per world

- Some feature original tracks made by composer Christophe Heral (Rayman Origins, Beyond Good & Evil)

- Also features remixed music like “Eye of the Tiger” in flamenco style with gibberish vocals and a little kazoo mixed in

- “Wo Hoo” from The 5.6.7.8′s

Underwater world

- Exclusive sneak peak showed to Nintendo Power

- Jules Verne-inspired environment

- Story will be more James Bond

- Secret underwater base

- Need to infiltrate it

- Levels play with light and shadow

- Need to remain cloaked or risk being spotted (and fried) by the base’s security system

- In one room, players have to avoid a sentry’s spotlight

- Another room: swim between glowing jellyfish

- Murfy will need to manipulate light sources or create shadows in some levels

- Ex: hold a discarded robot head in front of a rotating floodlight

- Rhythm of these levels will be somewhat different from Origins

- Not just a matter of running full steam ahead

- Some sections will have lots of traps and electrified water

- Will have to platform over mechanical objects, climb into an air vent, and navigate through a dark room

- The team didn’t just want to make an underwater world with just new fishes

Great news about the Murfy sections. It adds a different dimension to Origins whilst not detracting too much from the platforming elements. I reckon it'll be great.

So, the Ubisoft fuck-up we're all waiting for will be to do with ZombiU.

I've played some more Rayman Origins and watched a couple of ingame videos of Legends again. The musical levels aren't on rails, as I had assumed before. They are more or less the spiritial successor to the

, just with even less wiggle room for free player movements and far better synchronized to the music. These levels are very "linear", as the screen scrolls fast and you mostly have to hold the run button and go one direction at top speed while timing the jumps right. As the margin for error on jumps is incredibly small though, they become really tricky.

While it's hard to watch at times, this off screen footage from gamescom shows that the player is still fully in control during the levels (he goes into the wrong direction at 6m44s). It seems like the game also adjusts the running speed at points and takes swiftly care of players who fall behind even slightly.

Also noticed that there is a (yellow) line running across the screen at all times. That seems to be the position at which the player has to be in order to run synchronously to the music.

raymanlegendsmusic1.jpgraymanlegendsmusic2.jpg

Pleased to be wrong about this. Having complete control (until the scrolling screen overtakes you) makes these levels only trickier, if the treasure chases are anything to go by. :)

Edited by Burny