NEurope
chairdriver

Claire Squires, 30, dies running London Marathon

People in their thirties don't usually die from falling over, Danny. :heh:

It was probably some sort of undiagnosed heart condition or something.

Well, how am I supposed to know? :heh: The article explains nothing. She could've had a very unlucky fall for all we know. But yeah, a heart condition would be my guess as well.

Very strange that they don't mention cause of death. My guess is that it's still under investigation.

Also I would suggest against donating to her justgiving page. I'm pretty sure Justgiving take a cut of the donations. Much better to donate directy to the Samaritans instead if you care about the cause.

Also I would suggest against donating to her justgiving page. I'm pretty sure Justgiving take a cut of the donations. Much better to donate directy to the Samaritans instead if you care about the cause.

Justgiving get 25p for every £5 donated, which they "re-invest to help raise more money". I think the symbolic value of her loved ones seeing the massive amount donated on her page of meagre expectations is worth the 5%.

She collapsed at the 25 mile mark. Terrible, right near the end near the Palace. My parents saw her being carried away while waiting for me to finish.

Reading up on it it sounds like she was a fit woman, had run the marathon before and even climbed Kilimanjaro. This, Fabrice Muamba, and the other Italian footballer dying of a heart attack on the pitch, shows that it can happen to anyone.

Her Justgiving page has raised over £200,000 now, which is brilliant. Reading up on it, her mum had been a volunteer for the Samaritans for 24 years, and her brother had died of a suspected drug overdose, so it really was a charity close to her heart.

Rest in peace, Claire Squires.

Justgiving get 25p for every £5 donated, which they "re-invest to help raise more money". I think the symbolic value of her loved ones seeing the massive amount donated on her page of meagre expectations is worth the 5%.
Her Justgiving page has raised over £200,000 now

Having her loved ones constantly checking this Justgiving page is now worth at least £10,000 which could've gone to the Samaritans? I'm willing to bet her volunteering mother would disagree.

There are better donation sites out there which aren't for profit, I used Virgin Money Giving, MyDonate is another good one. But this doesn't mean JustGiving is bad. Anything that is making it easier for people to donate to charity should be seen as great. If you look at this link, you will see that because of Gift Aid, the charity will still get on average £11.71 for every £10 donated through JustGiving, so they aren't losing out, just not getting quite as much as they would on another (£12.15 on Virgin Money Giving and £12.35 on MyDonate).

If the charity thought it wasn't worth it they wouldn't let you fundraise through that site.

That's exactly right. Charities will be raising more money than they would have if people didn't use these sites because they make it so easy to donate.