NEurope
Mokong

Fringe (TV Show)

Ok I checked if there was a thread already but it hasn't been used since 2008 so not point bumoing that.

But I assume there's still a few here watching the show as I know I seen some posts reference it from time to time.

Anyway I just watched Season 4 Ep 19 and just thought I'd make a post to say

WHAT THE FRAK WAS THAT ABOUT?

When the ep started and it was in like 2036 I had to stop for a mintue and check I hadn't missed last weeks ep or something. Was looking forward to see if the events of last week would play part in this weeks ep... the capture of Alt-Broyles and Alt-Nina, would we find out what Jones was up to?

Then they toss this curveball at us... and from what I just read online the teaser for next weeks ep shown after ep19 on US TV indicates it goes back to the "present" again so it is not continuing from what happened this week.

Also what the hell was William Bell doing there? Wasn't he like you know DEAD????

Or did Peters erasure from time (but still came back) somehow bring Bell back too but nobody has really mentioned it in the season so far :heh:

Also why no mention of teh Alt-Universe in 2036? What happened to the Bridge? Where is Lee?... GAH

They better get renewed for a fifth season to wrap this show up properly or I'll be well pissed.

On the plus side the guest appeareance of Desmond from Lost was awesome. :D

I've tried to watch the first episode of the first season, but it was just a bit too much of an X-Files clone for me.

Is it worth trying to fight my way through the series to see if it gets better?

Oh yeah it does get better the more you stick with it

I didn't really follow the first season much when it first aired, just the odd ep here and there. Think it was mid season two or just before when I really started to get into the show and watch all the eps as they came.

Fringe is very episodic in the first season, and the underlying storyline is mostly built up in the background while they deal with the monster of the week.

It takes until season two for things to finally start paying off. Season three is just awesome. It really feels like they've had a plan from the beginning, so it'd be a real shame if the show didn't get another season to wrap things up.

Now would be a great time to catch up, too, as there have been a lot of callbacks to earlier episodes lately.

They better get renewed for a fifth season to wrap this show up properly or I'll be well pissed.

I hope you didn't jinx it by starting this thread. :blank:

If you rewatch Season 1 after all the episodes that have aired it's actually not as episodic as you'd first think. But the overall arc starts to show it's head towards the end of S1 and slowly continues until it rams you in the face end of S2. :)

Once it gets going it's not really very X-files at all. Apart from the fact they're FBI and working with strange things. First of all they actually accept whats going on, unlike Scully who, even in the most recent movie was still as unbelieving as she was at the beginning.

And with regards to last nights episode. They generally like to play around with episode 19's. The noir episode, the cartoon and this one. It apparently could lead to season 5, if it gets picked up, or would just be a stand alone.

They've filmed two endings for S4, depending on whether it gets renewed or not. :D

I loved season 1. However, I hated season 2 because there were around 4 episodes in total that related to the actual plot (it took until around episode 20 to "re-reveal" what was revealed at the end of season 1). After this I didn't watch season 3, until I heard lots of good things about it. So I watched it and loved it.

Up until the last few episodes of season 4, I've not enjoyed this season, but it has since picked up.

Fringe always does that. The seasons always start out really episodic until the plot starts to get going and the end of the season is really exciting and you can't wait to see what happens next season...

... And then the next season starts and it's really episodic again and it takes ages for things to get going. :blank:

I've learned to just roll with it. It takes them a while to get there, but the destination is usually worth the effort.

They've filmed two endings for S4, depending on whether it gets renewed or not. :D

Hope they get an answer before the season 4 final airs... and hopefully a positive one. It's like to only Sci-Fi left on TV (that I watch anyway) and I think I read the producers only really want one more season to wrap it up fully as they planned... Just give it to them please :(

Starting to think I should try rewatching from Season 1 to 3 again :D

Also a 5th season would mean a 100th episode and I can only imagine they could have something real special and mindfrakable for that ep planned, me wants :D

They should be getting an answer any day now. And the chances are good. The ratings have improved slightly. And a lot of Fox's new shows are going to be cancelled as they got poor viewing figures and were quite rubbish.

And also they want to get to 100 episodes. In America once you reach 100 the show can go into syndication which'll get Fox and Warner loads more money in the long run.

Season 3 is my personal favourite. S4 feels a lot like 1, for obvious reasons I won't go into so as not to spoil it. :P

Fringe always does that.

Most of season 3 felt like it was important.

As for season 4, my main issue was

Character development was pretty much taken away. I didn't feel invested in any of the characters any more. The last few episode they've been put back to normal.

Well, I've just watched the latest episode, and it definitely wasn't what I was expecting. :p

I think it may have been established that Bell is still alive in the merged universe? Either way, it makes sense that he never died if events unfolded differently without Peter.

As for Lee, he's probably still in the alternate universe. They seemed to be hinting at a romance between him and Fauxlivia, so I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed there forever. :heh:

The first third or so of season 3 was just brainwashed Olivia in one timeline and Fauxlivia in disguise in the other timeline solving cases of the week, though.

Edited by Magnus

As for season 4, my main issue was

Character development was pretty much taken away. I didn't feel invested in any of the characters any more. The last few episode they've been put back to normal.

I agree but...

I thought it was a pretty bold move to reset the timeline, although in sense this is what was meant to happen all along, well without Peter I mean. It hasn't been my favourite season but I reckon it'll all come together in the end.

Ok well so I've been watching from the beginning again and I'm to episode 2 or 3 from season 2 and

They basically just said,

"They've been passing messages under our noses the whole time. A war is coming, we need to be prepared."

Now originally I thought they meant with the other universe BUT the guy who was given the briefcase was September! So maybe they planned for the Observers to take over since then!?

As for Lee, he's probably still in the alternate universe. They seemed to be hinting at a romance between him and Fauxlivia, so I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed there forever. :heh:

Ah yeah I figured they were building up to Fauxoliva & Lee becoming "involved" soon. My main grip/question though was there was no mention of the other universe in 2036.... what happened to it? Did the Observers just ignore it and destroy the Bridge or did they take that one over too?

Actually now that I think of it, were there ever Alt-Observers in the other Universe?

They basically just said,

That is actually pretty awesome. I must start rewatching now too so, see if there are any other hidden gems to be found :D

"They've been passing messages under our noses the whole time. A war is coming, we need to be prepared."

Now originally I thought they meant with the other universe BUT the guy who was given the briefcase was September! So maybe they planned for the Observers to take over since then!?

Ah yeah I figured they were building up to Fauxoliva & Lee becoming "involved" soon. My main grip/question though was there was no mention of the other universe in 2036.... what happened to it? Did the Observers just ignore it and destroy the Bridge or did they take that one over too?

Actually now that I think of it, were there ever Alt-Observers in the other Universe?

That is actually pretty awesome. I must start rewatching now too so, see if there are any other hidden gems to be found :D

There are literally so many it's insane. It's not a show for those who don't pay attention. They don't pander to idiots, if you miss an important piece of dialogue it can change how you see the show. :D

Anyone else think of Dollhouse when they watched the latest episode?

You can apparently see the most popular Observer in most (all?) of the alternate universe episodes, though I don't know whether or not they're alternate observers or if the observers can jump between universes. Either way, they seem to do a better job at not meddling in the alternate universe. :heh:

I think you should be happy they didn't mention the alternate universe! That could mean they have some interesting plans for it going forward. :hehe:

It didn't bother me that they didn't mention the state of the alternate universe, what with all of the other things they left unexplained. I'm sure they know what they're doing and had a reason for not telling us. *Blind faith*

Just watched the latest ep - I also thought of Dollhouse

William Bell hasn't been mentioned yet - although from the hints in this I'm looking forward to seeing Nimoy again. I thought he had stopped fully appearing in Fringe from Season 3's episode 19. I wonder what he does to Olivia - perhaps it's the reason for her absence. I was actually quite surprised when they revealed that it was Astrid in the amber.

I am now enjoying this season.

Also:

Did anyone else think that Etta looked like a young Katee Sackhoff? I'm sure she has exactly the same smile and expressions.

Woo! It's been renewed for a final, 13-episode, season 5 :D

So glad. Really intrigued about the last episode that aired. Hope they revisit that

Joshua Jackson mentioned that if they got a season 5 that is where the story would be going. :)

Sweet, that is great news. 13 eps seems smallish though, guess that means season 5 should be all main story arc stuff with no messing about.... no 19th ep to mess with our minds too :heh:

EDIT

Teaser Trailer

I'm guessing that's not going to stop David Robert Jones...

I'm going to miss the other side. Perhaps this is why we didn't hear or see anything about them in last weeks episode?

I'm guessing that's not going to stop David Robert Jones...

I'm going to miss the other side. Perhaps this is why we didn't hear or see anything about them in last weeks episode?

Yeah if it stays as things are that pretty much answers my questions about the other side and Lee from last weeks ep.

I'm just wondering though the "war" that Jones told his (lets call them Followers), "Followers" they would be preventing, what if maybe he did lie to them about the war being with the other side. But that he didn't lie to them about preventing a War.

I'm wondering now what if Jones somehow knows about The Observers and what will happen in 2015 with them invading. What if that is the war he wanted to prevent.

I mean destorying both Universes and creating your own is a bit extreme but his idea to also create a new species of "people" to populate his Universe with might also mean nothing to evolve into "observers" in the future who would then time travel backwards to frak everything up.

Really hope this isn't the last we see of the Other Side though. I mean they had ways to travel between universes before the Bridge was made, though admitidly those caused more damage (to the other side), but no reason why it might not happen again :heh:

Damn can't wait for next weeks ep again, haha, also so glad this is gonna get a new season to wrap up as the writers intended :D

Actually just thought of something with regards last weeks ep....

Don't think anyone mentioned this, but surely wouldn't the Observers travelling back in time to "invade" and "take over" in an attempt to "escape the Earth they destroyed" have created some sort of time paradox?

Like they come to 2015, take over, kill a few people... surely (as they came from so far into the future) it would be near impossible to avoid some "grandfather paradoxes"?

Also why invade in 2015? If they exsist outside of time and can go to any point they so choose why not just go to a point before when whatever frakked Earth up so bad happened and just stop it from happening?

Or if they were so intent on invading the past why not have picked a much earlier year to do it in? Like a time period where the people of that time would not have anywhere near the right technology to be able to fight back and create a resistance?

Ah well, hopefully season 5 will revist the "future" and we'll learn more then :D

Also why invade in 2015? If they exsist outside of time and can go to any point they so choose why not just go to a point before when whatever frakked Earth up so bad happened and just stop it from happening?

Or if they were so intent on invading the past why not have picked a much earlier year to do it in? Like a time period where the people of that time would not have anywhere near the right technology to be able to fight back and create a resistance?

I think the answer to both of those questions is simply, "it wouldn't have made for very good television." :heh:

Actually just thought of something with regards last weeks ep....

Don't think anyone mentioned this, but surely wouldn't the Observers travelling back in time to "invade" and "take over" in an attempt to "escape the Earth they destroyed" have created some sort of time paradox?

Like they come to 2015, take over, kill a few people... surely (as they came from so far into the future) it would be near impossible to avoid some "grandfather paradoxes"?

Ah well, hopefully season 5 will revist the "future" and we'll learn more then :D

The Observers have turned the TARDIS into a Paradox Machine. Destroying that will undo everything.