NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Kirby 20th Anniversary Disc

WK0UXl.jpg

Announced this morning, the game will contain a number of Kirby games.

I imagine this will be a ROM dump, like Super Mario Anniversary, still doesn't stop me from wanting it though. :D

Gaf have shown what the logo will look like for the western world.

3CWEw.jpg

Whew! I thought I was in the downloadable board so was about to rant about how this is the awesome kind of thing I would buy if it was on a disk.

I wonder what it will contain. We still need Kirbys Pinball!

Definitely get this.

Hopefully it combines all the portable Kirby games I have on my backlog into this. Will save me some money, I guess.

Mario gets a 25th Anniversary game.

Zelda gets a ton of 25th Anniversary stuff.

Kid Icarus finally gets a new game after 25 years.

Kirby gets a 20th Anniversary game.

Metroid gets forgotten.

Metroid gets forgotten.

Castlevania not celebrated either.

Don't forget that!

Perhaps we'll se something for their next anniversary.

Edited by Fused King

Metroid gets forgotten.

Castlevania was forgotten.

Frogger wasn't...

Metal Gear won't be...

Sometimes I hate Konami.

Pretty pissed that even Kirby gets something special for its Anniversary, yet Metroid got nothing.

If Nintendo gave us a full 3D remake of Metroid II, all would be forgiven.

They've avoided de-valuing the VC releases with their past anniversary offerings (SMAll Stars coudn't be released on the VC without devaluing the NES versions and NOA's request for a Zelda anniversary ROM collection disc was turned down by NCL, who didn't want to ruin the value of the original VC versions), so it'll be interesting to see if these are indeed just ROM dumps or if they have done something to differentiate these versions from their originals.

Besides, with them releasing 3D Classics Kirby's Adventure on the JPN eShop, I doubt they'd want to devalue it right away by releasing a ROM collection.

If it does turn out to be a ROM collection, I'll pass. I already own all of the Kirby games on VC (and the remaining ones on cartridge)

I'm surprised people are hyped about this after the horrible Super Mario Anniversary Edition. :p

I expect this will be, like, three of the oldest games running on an emulator and a compilation video.

Maybe they'll throw in a copy of Kirby Air Ride just to troll people.

I'm surprised people are hyped about this after the horrible Super Mario Anniversary Edition. :p

I expect this will be, like, three of the oldest games running on an emulator and a compilation video.

It will be a Kirby decorated special edition Nintendo Wii Points Card. For you to download the games on the VC.

That would be hilarious. :hehe:

I'd forgive Nintendo all of their stupid decisions if it turned out they were just intentionally trolling their fans this entire time.

"Sir, the fans want Yoshi's Island on the Wii Virtual Console."

"Give them Ice Climber. It's basically the same thing."

"Sir, the fans want another handheld 2D Metroid game."

"MORE KIRBY."

"Sir, we'd love to do something to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Super Mario Bros."

"Ugh, fine. You have one hour!"

"Sir, the 20th anniversary of Kirby is coming up and-"

"MAKE IT THE BEST COLLECTION EVER."

I still don't get the hate for this game. Me and my mates spent a MASSIVE amount of hours on this back in the day. We even unlocked everything, which took a stupid amount of time to do.

Now that my Cube is once again out and about, I slam this bad boy back in and have a blast.

What was so horrible about it? (Serious question.)

I still don't get the hate for this game. Me and my mates spent a MASSIVE amount of hours on this back in the day. We even unlocked everything, which took a stupid amount of time to do.

Now that my Cube is once again out and about, I slam this bad boy back in and have a blast.

Air Ride is a really good game once you get to grips with how it works. Glad to hear you and your gang weren't scared to give it a chance! : peace:

What was so horrible about it? (Serious question.)

Other than it was a repackaged SNES game with absolutely no enhancements?

Other than it was a repackaged SNES game with absolutely no enhancements?

So the only problem with a port is that its a port...?

...ok...

So the only problem with the anniversary edition that was released to celebrate the series' 25th anniversary is that it's a port of a remake from seventeen years ago...?

...ok...

Fixed that for you. :smile:

I actually really like the Mario Anniversary game, the only thing I feel it was missing was the inclusion of Super Mario World.

As far as I know there's been no Kirby collections in the past so they're going to have to at least make a new menu for selecting the games on this.

Still reads the same to me... but, er, thanks dude?

It really doesn't, but if you want to be purposely dense and/or you're happy with whatever slop Nintendo throws together in an afternoon and releases at full price to all of its adoring fans who are more than happy to pay for something they already played nearly two decades ago, then I guess that's fine.

To be honest, I've never been a fan of the Kirby series, so I have no vested interest in whatever Nintendo decides to do to celebrate it.

It really doesn't, but if you want to be purposely dense and/or you're happy with whatever slop Nintendo throws together in an afternoon and releases at full price to all of its adoring fans who are more than happy to pay for something they already played nearly two decades ago, then I guess that's fine.

It was a £20 release, wasn't it? I only remember paying £18 for it. Yeah, it's more than a SNES game would cost on the VC but it came with an artbook and music CD. Not to mention they were never going to release it on the VC.

Fair enough, I never bought it myself. I just remember thinking it was overpriced for what it was. :heh:

So the only problem with a port is that its a port...?

Compare it to another franchise: As the earlier games in the franchise are already available in many forms, they opted to create a whole new game combining all the elements of the past 20 years of it's existence and two vastly different gameplay styles. The music itself also consisted of brand new versions of classic (and modern) themes.

Sure, it was double the price (the special edition with CD, DVD, ring, statue and artbook even more so), but it felt like a celebration of the franchise.

Another example is something closer to home, which took a different approach: Zelda. As a game was already due, Nintendo did different things: an orchestrated concert in a few countries, releasing an enhanced port of Four Swords for free, the special edition 3DS. Stuff like that.

The problem isn't the game itself - it's more that it didn't really feel like a celebration more like "hmm...we'd better do something".