NEurope
bryanee

New Super Mario Bros 2

Odd, I've done all the levels, including each of the Rainbow ones, and not got that

Have you opened up every route? You should have used all of the Star Coins doing this. I had nine left and the message unlocked once I used the coins to open a path to a mushroom house.

Have you opened up every route? You should have used all of the Star Coins doing this. I had nine left and the message unlocked once I used the coins to open a path to a mushroom house.

Ah that explains it

I think the idea behind that is that you are supposed to accrue lots of different scores from Streetpass with different level sets that you can challenge and you find yourself asking "how the hell did he get those many coins!?". If the level packs were set, you'd end up playing the same stages over and over again and the Streetpass thing would just end up feeling like a typical local leaderboard (in which case, they'd be better off just making it into an online leaderboard)

This way you can discover the best possible combos for earning coins, adds variety for when you're playing in short bursts and keeps things feeling fresh :)

Some spotpass functionality to double up on this would have been a good idea. Online with daily leaderboards for a set or something? I'll admit I don't know the game, but it still just feels like so much opportunity wasted.

Opened every route and done every level. This makes no sense :( Going to unlock all the Rainbow courses again. Just in case I missed one

Opened every route and done every level. This makes no sense :( Going to unlock all the Rainbow courses again. Just in case I missed one

I didn't get many Rainbow levels so they must not count. I did however visit all the mushroom houses and fire out of all the cannons.

In other news ive got 5 stars now, will post a pic in the morning. The lives are easy as hell to get as the mushroom houses don't disappear anymore. You can get 10 lives and then just go back in and get a load more.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Did you manage to find what you're missing yet? Have you spent all your Star Coins? I wonder if you are missing a secret exit somewhere, but then surely that would mean you haven't finished one of the levels, which you would obviously would see on the map due to the dot being red rather than blue.

As promised....

photo-6.jpg

I think that's me done with the game now. I had a blast on Coin Rush mode and it's not for me. I don't really care for high scores and seeing as I finished the game with only 27,000 coins it would mean playing this mode for a very looooooooooong time until I reach a million.

@Hero\-of\-Time, how many hours have you put into the game all in all to complete it and get 5 stars?

@Hero\-of\-Time, how many hours have you put into the game all in all to complete it and get 5 stars?

I checked last night when I had four stars and that was 11 hours and 8 minutes. Probably add another hour on to that to get the stupid amount of lives needed for the last Star. So, yeah, probably around 12 hours altogether.

Did you manage to find what you're missing yet? Have you spent all your Star Coins? I wonder if you are missing a secret exit somewhere, but then surely that would mean you haven't finished one of the levels, which you would obviously would see on the map due to the dot being red rather than blue.

As promised....

photo-6.jpg

I think that's me done with the game now. I had a blast on Coin Rush mode and it's not for me. I don't really care for high scores and seeing as I finished the game with only 27,000 coins it would mean playing this mode for a very looooooooooong time until I reach a million.

Nope. Not found anything. Got all the secret exits which is why Toad Houses are all multiple use...so it must be that I have to go into each of the Toad houses -_-

Thank you for the reply. 12 hours doesn't sound like much if Nintendo's expecting people to pay 40 quid on the eshop for the game tbh. Is it worth that amount of money? It's as short as Heroes of Ruin (the game); but HoR has 4 different game modes (characters) + online play. How about this one, does it have different modes like easy, normal, difficult? Sorry for all the questions hehe I've not played this series a lot before but might get this one too now when I've found my way (adding more Nintendo 1-party games to my collection). :)

Thank you for the reply. 12 hours doesn't sound like much if Nintendo's expecting people to pay 40 quid on the eshop for the game tbh. Is it worth that amount of money? It's as short as Heroes of Ruin (the game); but HoR has 4 different game modes (characters) + online play. How about this one, does it have different modes like easy, normal, difficult? Sorry for all the questions hehe I've not played this series a lot before but might get this one too now when I've found my way (adding more Nintendo 1-party games to my collection). :)

Just the one difficulty i'm afraid. It has story mode and then coin rush. Coin rush pits you against 3 random levels that you have unlocked during the main game and you have 1 life to get through them all and grab as many coins as you can.

The game is short but it's still fun. The Wii version is still probably the best in the series so far though.

Just the one difficulty i'm afraid. It has story mode and then coin rush. Coin rush pits you against 3 random levels that you have unlocked during the main game and you have 1 life to get through them all and grab as many coins as you can.

Ah OK the replay value lies in Coin Rush missions then. Are those time limits missions?

If you can manage to beat a game before it's even technically released, I'd say you either have far too much time on your hands or it's a little short :p

If you can manage to beat a game before it's even technically released, I'd say you either have far too much time on your hands or it's a little short :p

Most games these days that aren't sandbox are 12 hours or shorter. Fail to see why a 2D Mario platformer, which are always this size, was expected to be larger

NSMB DS was short, but it kept me coming back so many times, the multiplayer in NSMB was also really fun. I'm sure that I put in over 200 hrs.

However this game has coin rush mode, and upcoming DLC. So I think it will keep people coming back for more.

Edited by -Dem0-

I could beat any 2D Mario game in a long afternoon if I wanted to...

I work 8 hours a day, 5 days a week! Clearly I need to do more. :D

Ah OK the replay value lies in Coin Rush missions then. Are those time limits missions?

Yeah, you start out with a short time limit but this increases every time you get some coins. Like I said before, I don't really care for it as it's basically just a high score mode. It also doesn't help that the levels are just the ones you have already played through in the main game.

OK, I see, thanks for your replies, Hero-of-Time. :)

NSMB DS was short, but it kept me coming back so many times, the multiplayer in NSMB was also really fun. I'm sure that I put in over 200 hrs.

However this game has coin rush mode, and upcoming DLC. So I think it will keep people coming back for more.

Wow, that's a lot of hours, Dem0.

And this new NSMB2 has DLC coming? That sounds great, thanks for the info, I didn't know that. There the replay value just went up^.

Edited by cvl
Automerged Doublepost

Goddammit! Just thinking about how much of an opportunity NOE wasted here is just irritating me!

If they had gotten those download cards into stores, we could've potentially been looking at a price of £24.99 for the download version on Shopto! How much of a gamechanger would that have been for digital distribution in general!? (Hell I would've probably gone ahead and bought a second copy, just so I could play multiplayer!)

Fucking wankers :mad:

Did anyone order New super mario 2 with the free coin case from GAME, did your order arrive today ? mine has not i wont be using them ever again

Most games these days that aren't sandbox are 12 hours or shorter. Fail to see why a 2D Mario platformer, which are always this size, was expected to be larger

Tbh, I don't know my playtime for original NSMB(might give it another run if I can find it though, save me pining for this). However I'd surely disagree with your claim that most non-sandbox games are 12 hours or less, unless you have some strange definition of sandbox?

Squeezed even more coins out of 1-1.

My new record is 6376! :D:

JZyY2.jpg
How the hell did you manage that? There aren't that many coins in the level...
Yeah, you need a little help from power-ups:

4a6j4.jpg

There are quite a few Gold Blocks in that stage, but I also wait for the additional one to appear above Mario's head before going on a coin rush.

The Gold Flower does the rest. Hitting that pile of Goombas at the end of the stage as Gold Mario is verrry rewarding. ;)

I finished the game with only 27,000 coins
:o Were you avoiding coins?! :heh:

I could beat any 2D Mario game in a long afternoon if I wanted to...

This is true, but that wouldn't be beating it before it's released now, would it! I do wonder sometimes if my ease of gaming has come with age(what sort of special child WAS i?!), because I can 'beat' most 2D marios in a day too. Is it because I'm familiar with them, or because I'm older/not as retarded, or...what? Why is it so! Do I always feel games are too easy these days because they actually are, or because I've just grown with them?

Tbh, I don't know my playtime for original NSMB(might give it another run if I can find it though, save me pining for this). However I'd surely disagree with your claim that most non-sandbox games are 12 hours or less, unless you have some strange definition of sandbox?

I recently did a runthrouh of New Super Mario Bros on the DS and did it in 3 hours... This one, I'm 12 hours in

Squeezed even more coins out of 1-1.

My new record is 6376! :D:

JZyY2.jpg

Yeah, you need a little help from power-ups:

4a6j4.jpg

There are quite a few Gold Blocks in that stage, but I also wait for the additional one to appear above Mario's head before going on a coin rush.

The Gold Flower does the rest. Hitting that pile of Goombas at the end of the stage as Gold Mario is verrry rewarding. ;)

:o Were you avoiding coins?! :heh:

Do you also go through the stage, go down to the cave, notice all the enemies respawn. Shoot them again, rinse and repeat?

Just managed 6842 :)