NEurope
arab_freak

'Racist Cake' Controversy

A lot of people on my Facebook feed have been posting this image in outrage:

306151_363068673729986_100000805691468_939933_783519947_n.jpg

The artist behind the cake, Makode Linde, who is black but was born in Stockholm, said the work had been misunderstood.

He told the BBC that his art had tackled different prejudices and ideas of oppression for many years. "I've been doing this by revamping black faces into different contexts so when the Swedish Art Organisation asked me to design a cake for them it felt totally natural."

The TT news agency reported that Ms Liljeroth had said she could "understand that this can feel provocative".

"It was a bizarre situation. I was invited to speak at World Art Day about the freedom of art and the right to be provocative, and then they asked me to cut up the cake," the minister said.

The cake was in the shape of the naked upper body of an African woman and was filled with a blood-red sponge. Mr Linde painted his own face and took the place of the head.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17749533

Unless you don't understand the message behind it, I can't see how this piece of art can come off as offensive. It's there for shock value, of course it's going to offend you. But that's not the point. The guy's trying to show how African women suffer at the hands of others in a way that will stick in your head. I think the reason why so many people are outraged by the cake is because they only look at the pictures and immediately jump to their own conclusions about it. For others, they just don't see past the initial feelings of shock they got from seeing it.

This reminds me of that scene in Ghost World where Thora Birch's character submits the Golliwog painting as her final art project, and the parents who see it at the gallery are immediately outraged without understanding the context, or the fact that it was commenting on how ubiquitous that sort of imagery used to be in America.

The cake isn't "racist," but it's manipulating racial stereotypes and idioms to say something about racism.

People are retarded.

Its nonsense they are saying the Swedish minister is racist for being involved, just eating some of the cake

but nobody is mentioning anything against the BLACK artist who made the cake, the man who's head is poking through the table pretending to be the cakes head....

how can this be racist? a black man has created a cake to depict the abuse of women in Africa and invited people to take part and eat it at this fundraiser/event, yet a white woman who came is the racist....

please someone explain this to me logically so i can understand, because there is no logical way this makes sense

It's racist because it's black.

You're racist because you're black!

Though on srs note, I think the context of this is absolutely crucial. As Agent Gibbs has said(your name is awesome to refer to btw), this was a cake made by a black artist to make a point and more importantly HE'S RIGHT THERE NEXT TO THE CAKE IN BLACKFACE WHILE ITS BEEN DONE. Forget even the racism, if it was going against his intentions, I'm sure he'd have objected. I actually think it's genius for him to be there in the table all blackfaced up, AND for the cake to have been cut up by some white official. I think this is all quite clever, which is rare for me, as I don't usually give a crap about stuff like this.

Edited by Rummy

I heard it the cake was meant to be about female circumcision, especially in Africa. If I'm honest, if it's intended to help tackle something that serious, it can't be a bad thing.

You're racist because you're black!

And I'm black because I'm racist!

I think it's kind of gross...and I would be put off regardless of the race depicted. Am I the only one who thinks it's slightly distasteful (not in terms of racism, I don't find this racist due to what Bard said - P.S. I love Ghost World:heart:)? :( It just seems...not extreme enough for the message the artist is trying to get across. The facepaint looks too comedic/like a Chain Chomp.

I think it's kind of gross...and I would be put off regardless of the race depicted. Am I the only one who thinks it's slightly distasteful (not in terms of racism, I don't find this racist due to what Bard said - P.S. I love Ghost World:heart:)? :( It just seems...not extreme enough for the message the artist is trying to get across. The facepaint looks too comedic/like a Chain Chomp.

Can I be honest with you...

... I think the cakes a lie.

Can I be honest with you...

... I think the cakes a lie.

How can it be, it cries! :shakeheadThe Peeps beat you to it already :p

How can it be, it cries! :shakeheadThe Peeps beat you to it already :p

I can't be expected to read everything, who do you think I am, Shakespeare?

And besides, he said "inb4othernerds" and I am clearly not a nerd, I'm just a lain old lunatic.

Edited by Iun

I'm watching the video and all I'm thinking of is imagine if someone tried to start with the head having just arrived and seen/heard it yet :heh:

But thats the point, the artist wanted it to be drastic for people to pay attention.

I'm certainly with Bard on this one, it could have been a bit more tastefully done, but then when have these things ever been like that?

People jumping on the bandwagon ftl.

But thats the point, the artist wanted it to be drastic for people to pay attention.

I'm certainly with Bard on this one, it could have been a bit more tastefully done, but then when have these things ever been like that?

People jumping on the bandwagon ftl.

No, I mean it wasn't drastic enough - to me, it seems like the artist is making fun of an African woman in pain rather than highlighting whatever issues he's going for/making people think more deeply about it.

No, I mean it wasn't drastic enough - to me, it seems like the artist is making fun of an African woman in pain rather than highlighting whatever issues he's going for/making people think more deeply about it.

Ah I see, it seems pretty drastic to me, given it looks pretty stereotypical and why is she fat?

Me no not understand. :laughing:

Ah I see, it seems pretty drastic to me, given it looks pretty stereotypical and why is she fat?

Me no not understand. :laughing:

Well, this is getting extremely subjective, but if it were me, I would make it shocking in a more frightening way rather than just exaggerated features :) But this is my personal vision only. Plus I can't stop seeing the face as a Chain Chomp...

More cake for everyone!

But as Peeps and Iun have clarified, it is a lie :/

The part that bothers me most is probably the guy in the cake posing as a woman undergoing genital mutilation

It makes no sense; the people who are performing female circumcision are African themselves, and would never characterise themselves like that. It would be acceptable if the ridiculous representation actually had a point, but it doesn't; it's racist.

A minister is racist for eating cake. Cake eating is racist!!!

jackie-chan-meme-489.jpg