NEurope
Retro_Link

Best Headphones under £50?

I'm looking for a new pair of headphones for playing my 3DS and listening to music on any smartphone that I by in the new future (plus any future new laptop/mac/iPad)... basically to cover anything portable! :p

I've never really owned a decent pair of headphones before, just used the little in-ear phones you get with things... but I'd like something with decent quality now to make everything sound that bit greater/as it should!

I'd consider any style, but I'm probably more inclined towards the Over the Head ones?

Obviously Beats are all the rage atm, but they're probably out of my price range from the ones I've seen, I dunno...?

Can anyone offer any advice/recommendations?

I'd stretch a little over £50 if is made all the difference in terms of the quality of a pair.

Cheers.

I don't know much about headphones but in January I got a pair of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Reid-and-Heath-Acoustics-CA-200b/dp/B00632GE54

but in White for £40 in HMV and they are a good pair of headphones for that price or it seems cheaper on Amazon.

Much better than my Hello Kitty ones which are mainly for show not sound quality. :)

Plus you can detach the headphone cable thing so it's not all messy/doesn't get all tangled when you are not using it.

Do you listen to a lot of metal/rock/music with heavy bass, palm mute, and drums? If so, I recommend Skullcandy.

If not, a friend keeps trying to push Shure on me but I've never tried them so I don't know. I've tried Urbanears before, they were mediocre and probably for looks, mainly.

Excellent site with comprehensive reviews and comparisons:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/category/headphones

Ha, funny that you ask... I've been checkin around for that same price range, JVC HA-RX700 seem to be the best thing available for under 50£. Lots of people recommend them, and Hellfire just bought one of these and he swears by them. I actually just ordered a pair yesterday from Amazon for 31£.

206897541.jpg

If you do get these, be aware that they have a 100 or so hour break in. As in, they'lle sound great when you buy them, but their full potential will only be unleashed after 100 or so hours of use. [edit: also, the first 10 or so hours they'll sound very unimpressive, but stick with them and BOOM!]

Also, Beats are hyped... they're great but ridiculously overpriced.

Edited by Oxigen_Waste

I got these ones for my brother for Christmas and he thinks they're really good, they got a good writeup on one of the review sites I was looking at

Sennheiser 202's are great.

I can recommend that these are great, too. Although, I swapped to Koss PortaPro's and haven't thought about switching to anything else. They're small, light, and the sound is great - although they have an extremely retro look, which is a bit like marmite, I personally like how they look.

I use them every day and don't have a problem with comfort (they come with those foam covery things). For walking-around headphones/earphones I think they're perfect. They're cheap (£5 or less) so can replaced easily if you break them.

As for quality - they're surprisingly good. I've used many cheap earphones (JVC ones, Apple ones, Sony ones, probably a few other makes) and none come close to them - especially when it comes to the bass.

Sure, they certainly don't compare to my £50 gaming headphones (which require a USB port for power - similar to others that use batteries). I also dislike proper headphones from walking about because I still want to hear the "outside world" when I'm walking around.

I can recommend that these are great, too. Although, I swapped to Koss PortaPro's and haven't thought about switching to anything else. They're small, light, and the sound is great - although they have an extremely retro look, which is a bit like marmite, I personally like how they look.

This man speaks the truth, although I personally think the PortaPros are more fitted for a walking around town type of use. Mainly due to form factor:

6b71afde_koss-porta-pro.jpg

I think they look awesome. Own a pair and love them, but for this type of use I'd really go with full bodied headphones.

As for the 202s... they're great, but JVCs are just better. And they cost the same, so.

The Skullycandy Lowrider range I would not recommend. Flimsy and very average sound quality.

I have a few pair of Sony headphones. My favourite are the Sony zx-300 series as they're quite cheap and cheerful and you get good sound. They can be had from as low as £14.

If you like a bassy sound then the XB-300 offers enhanced boom bap boom for about £30 and the XB-500 enhances it further with a larger driver for £45ish.

Also +1 for the Koss Porta Pros. If you can get around their funny look you'll have a great sounding pair of headphones.

Best place to get answers and opinions: http://www.head-fi.org/products/category/headphones

Edited by Ten10