NEurope
Retro_Link

Captain America: The Winter Soldier

*no Avengers plot spoilers*

Captain America 2 Gets Date & Plot

ABC5900_comp_159355.1023_R_1333645139.jpg

Steve Rogers will return!

Marvel and Disney have announced the release date for their Captain America: The First Avenger sequel: April 4, 2014. That's just two years from yesterday!

Now, we already knew that Marvel had a film scheduled for that date, but this confirms that it is in fact Captain America 2. As for what the picture will be about, here's what Marvel is saying this morning:

"The second installment will pick-up where the highly anticipated Marvel's The Avengers (May 4, 2012) leaves off, as Steve Rogers continues his affiliation with Nick Fury and S.H.I.E.L.D and struggles to embrace his role in the modern world."

Yes!

I strangely liked the Captain America film. :)

Although that may be because it felt different as it was set in different times. The second might just feel too much like the rest.

I have to say, I don't like the modern Captain America costume at all. Or rather, I don't like the mask part, everything else looks good.

I enjoyed Iron Man / Cap / Thor. They all had the same sheen of like... being content with being nothing extraordinary. They all felt like they told slight jokes in various places too. I'm looking forward to Cap 2.

I have to say, I don't like the modern Captain America costume at all. Or rather, I don't like the mask part, everything else looks good.
It's strange, I've seen a couple of pics around recently that are closeups of just Caps headmask, and in those for some reason it looked really good. Yet the further out you go the worse it seems to look.

Unless there was something final about those headshots I've seen around promoting The Avengers, and they've done something slightly to it in final post production? But could have just been a better angle.

This absolutely needs to be about the Winter Soldier - It's regarded as one of the best Cap storylines of all time by a lot of fans and it really captures everything great about the character, his role in the world and his relationship with the people in his life. It also sets up a really fucking cool prospect for a third film.

I'm kinda just...about the Marvel films now. They're always solid, and enjoyable, but I find myself either worn down by overexposure or just the fact they're defiantly unstunning...why am I not at all excited by The Avengers movie? That's crazy. Eh.

I would argue that Iron Man and Thor were stunning. And Captain America was blo-me.

Captain America was my favourite out of the Avengers films. Apart from the end where the dude was teleported away.

I would argue that Iron Man and Thor were stunning. And Captain America was blo-me.
I thought Thor was your favourite?... has Captain America now taken its place?

---

I rewatched Thor (for the first time since the cinema) on Blu-ray the other night, and fuck it's brilliant!

Asgard is stunning!! The colours and achitecture... The Music is utterly fantastic, I mean simply wonderful! Great humour, great cast... and actually the deleted scenes are all extremely high quality still and brilliant!

Love it!!

Yeah but that would achieve nothing. :awesome:

They were all enjoyable but felt a bit like...all from the same stable of film...which makes sense as they all tie together, but I wasn't WOWed at all. They were all like 7/10 (with the remaining 3 not being negatives or anythig), but there wasn't anything truly exceptional about them, other than them not being bad like a lot of superhero films during the early years of Marvel films post X-Men.

I expect the Avengers to be much the same feeling (perhaps slightly better maybe), nothing wrong at all, but nothing truly mouth-wateringomgI'mcumming or anything.

Is it that they aren't comic book enough? Are they not serious enough? I have no idea. It's probably just me.

rogue.gif

I thought Thor was your favourite?... has Captain America now taken its place?

---

I rewatched Thor (for the first time since the cinema) on Blu-ray the other night, and fuck it's brilliant!

Asgard is stunning!! The colours and achitecture... The Music is utterly fantastic, I mean simply wonderful! Great humour, great cast... and actually the deleted scenes are all extremely high quality still and brilliant!

Love it!!

My post wasn't very clear, as always. Thor and Iron Man are my favourites....Cap just behind them. :D

This is one of the more recent pics I thought Caps mask/helmet looked good in... but that could just be because you cant see the top of... The DOME!

avengers_032112_176.jpg

Anyway, just read Cap 2 is also looking for a director!

So that'll be Iron Man 3, Thor 2 and Cap 2 all with new directors!... Any reason to worry?

At least we've successfully made it to the Avengers!

This absolutely needs to be about the Winter Soldier - It's regarded as one of the best Cap storylines of all time by a lot of fans and it really captures everything great about the character, his role in the world and his relationship with the people in his life. It also sets up a really fucking cool prospect for a third film.

Just watched the first film again:

If it's not Winter Soldier, I'll eat my hat. When Cap rescues Bucky at the factory, he's been taken away to a room and clearly brainwashedor something. It has overt Clockwork Orange vibes like he's been forced to stare in to the device over his head. When Cap enters the room, he's mumbling something about "targets". The last thing is that the other prisoners mention that 'nobody comes back' from that room, hinting that Bucky is the latest of many, which is the exact plot of the new Winter Soldier series.

It's a small scene but it sets so much up: a brainwashed and cybernetically enhanced Bucky is revived by a modern day Hydra from cryo sleep and clashes with Cap in the present day, bringing back his guilt and bridging the gap between the two time periods.

If it's not Winter Soldier, I'll eat my hat. When Cap rescues Bucky at the factory, he's been taken away to a room and clearly brainwashedor something. It has overt Clockwork Orange vibes like he's been forced to stare in to the device over his head. When Cap enters the room, he's mumbling something about "targets". The last thing is that the other prisoners mention that 'nobody comes back' from that room, hinting that Bucky is the latest of many, which is the exact plot of the new Winter Soldier series.

It's a small scene but it sets so much up: a brainwashed and cybernetically enhanced Bucky is revived by a modern day Hydra from cryo sleep and clashes with Cap in the present day, bringing back his guilt and bridging the gap between the two time periods.

ur2 clever.

In the directors commentary:

It's mentioned that Bucky was experimented on by Zola in that room and whatever was done to him will probably be the reason he is able to survive the fall

Winter Soldier done right would be a pretty awesome film. Kind of feels like it should be a few sequels away though and not the first solo thing Cap does when he's in the present.

I too watched it last night, and loved that bit.

I want Zola back because (I don't know the actors name) but he is fucking phenomenal IMHO (and super hero...isn't his normal genre? I don't know him well enough to say, but he is in Titanic and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy) anyway, we can have flashbacks of Arnim Zola (who is forced to test out cybernetics on himself) perhaps by new leader of Hydra (Baron Zemo?) although that could be overkill. And then does stuff to Bucky. It would also be the perfect time to touch upon (and be a definite missed oppurtunity) the Infinity Formula.

There are scenes in the comic that they just need to rip straight out and film, shot for shot, word for word. Namely when Fury shows Cap the photos of Winter Soldier.

Yes.

Wonder if we could see anymore back story for Black Widow if there was a possible Winter Soldier story. I would assume not but it could be good if they did.

I definitely hope we do see Avengers crossing over, amd Black Widow in a Cap movie makes perfect sense.

I definitely hope we do see Avengers crossing over, amd Black Widow in a Cap movie makes perfect sense.
Quoted for wrong Green. :p

It doesn't make sense to just bring Bucky straight back in a sequel. Like has been said, it's something much better suited to a later third (or however many), and make it a real bolt out of the blue for Cap.

You want him to have reached the stage where he's moved on and comfortable in the modern world, and then BAM, you hit him hard emotionally with the biggest thing from his past that brings it all flooding back.

Would be equivalent to the approach it souds like they're taking with Iron Man 3, which they've said is 'putting Tony back in the cave'.

What would be good is if we got hints during movies of a Russian agent that's been operating over the decades.

I agree that it's definitely a better fit as a 'part 3' plot, but on the other hand, so is

Bucky Cap

I agree that it's definitely a better fit as a 'part 3' plot, but on the other hand, so is

Bucky Cap

That feels like more of an Avengers thing to me with Steve Rogers taking over for Fury. Or dying of course.

Just a shame that because we have so much time with these characters in comics stories like this have a lot more impact. The one you mentioned I don't think would have enough time to mean what it should.

Bucky Cap

That feels like more of an Avengers thing to me with Steve Rogers taking over for Fury. Or dying of course.

Plus to get to that they really would have to deal with

deal with the Civil War first before getting to Bucky Cap, surely?

Just a shame that because we have so much time with these characters in comics stories like this have a lot more impact. The one you mentioned I don't think would have enough time to mean what it should.