NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Jamba

Sharing consoles

I remember back in the day you could own a console and anyone in the house could play it (as long as no more than 3 did for games like Zelda) without the need for that feeling of ownership.

Whilst you now have accounts for most things so that you have your own slice of a shared console, I find that that tends to be a bit limiting. For instance once upon a time every game I bought could be shared by my family. Now I have a shared iTunes account with bluey but we get little benefit from it. Equally would be the case if I owned a 3DS which is a complete contrast to how we happily share a DS Lite.

What are your experiences of sharing a console with loved (and less loved) ones?

I can see your pain!

But I currently do not share any technology with my family - my computer, my xbox, my tv and ps2 are all owned by me.

Though if I did share, it's a hassle, computers need different areas, xboxes need different accounts and different sign-ins.

I can see why they've done it, specially for gamer scores etc, but it leaves things a little complicated.

I think it's ridiculous that there is no way to share an online pass with same users on the same console effectively meaning you have to fork out for new copy of a game plus an additional online pass say if you both wanted your own individual profiles on a popular shooter.

I don't have this problem as such but can see why it would arise...imagine parent with kids who don't have individual consoles (woman at work ended up buying her kids seperate 360s to stop the arguements but thats another issue lol)

When I was at university we everyone just used my account. Didn't have any issues sharing it.

I think it's ridiculous that there is no way to share an online pass with same users on the same console effectively meaning you have to fork out for new copy of a game plus an additional online pass say if you both wanted your own individual profiles on a popular shooter.

I'm not sure about other publishers, but EA's online passes work for anyone on the console they were first redeemed on.

I remember back in the day you could own a console and anyone in the house could play it (as long as no more than 3 did for games like Zelda) without the need for that feeling of ownership.

Whilst you now have accounts for most things so that you have your own slice of a shared console, I find that that tends to be a bit limiting. For instance once upon a time every game I bought could be shared by my family. Now I have a shared iTunes account with bluey but we get little benefit from it. Equally would be the case if I owned a 3DS which is a complete contrast to how we happily share a DS Lite.

What are your experiences of sharing a console with loved (and less loved) ones?

Individual memory/storage outside of the cart/media has probably led to this. Sure, it used to be done without much issue or the need for feeling of ownership, but that's kinda because it was the only choice. What happened on any games where there was a three file save? What happens with a game with just one constant data/save?

What happened on any games where there was a three file save? What happens with a game with just one constant data/save?

I'm certain that some games purposely chose to limit the number of saves on purpose *coughpokémoncough*.

Still, a lot of 360/PS3 games (but not all) do allow multiple save files on the same profile, so you can simply share a profile with someone.

Ahh yeah, now you have that, but I was thinking more for older games/consoles as in Jamba's example. I'm sure I had disagreements with the siblings on such with certain games.

Like when my sister once "accidentally" erased my 101% complete save file on Donkey Kong 64 (a game I've never finished).

I'm certain that some games purposely chose to limit the number of saves on purpose *coughpokémoncough*.

Still, a lot of 360/PS3 games (but not all) do allow multiple save files on the same profile, so you can simply share a profile with someone.

Even if they don't allow multiple profiles. You can make up a free account on both consoles easily enough.

I wouldn't want to share my console(s) with anyone, and fortunately have never had to,

Okay recently the other half has been using the Wii for Zumba and such, but I bought a 2nd one for upstairs :)

I'm actually dreading this day -

internet-memes-all-this-and-some-mountain-dew-will-be-yours.jpg

Even thought it'll be my own lion cub I pass my gaming memorabilia too, I'll be worried they won't appreciate and take care of each game and console the way I did,

oh well that's a few years away yet...

It's not really an issue for me. Don't think it ever has been really. I grew up in a house with two other brothers, and we'd play Goldeneye together. Sometimes one of us would be playing Super Mario AllStars on the SNES and another would play Streets of Rage on the Megadrive, and we'd take it in turns to play each thing. We had quite a big family, and before we had our own Megadrive, my Uncle would bring his around. My Dad also gave me his older consoles, his Commodore64 being one of them.

Right now, I'm playing through about four games:

Aliens: Infestation on Ine's DS lite

Pokemon Yellow (fuck yeah) on Ine's GB Colour

Pro Evo 11 on my Wii

Sin and Punishment 2 on my Wii.

Ine's playing through quite a few games too, one of them is Epic Yarn which she plays on my Wii. She's brought her Wii from Belgium as well, but only mine is set up.

So, it works out pretty easily. Whenever she uses the Wii, I play one of the handheld games, vice versa. It was pretty much the same whenever I went online with Monster Hunter Tri, too.

I'll be playing Kid Icarus after she's done with it, and will probably do the same with Epic Yarn, but I have to finish my current games before I start those ones.

GAMES.

Sign in to follow this