NEurope
Retro_Link

Ant-Man Movie

Normally I'd post this in The Avengers thread, but with the movie only a month (bit longer for me) away now, I don't wanna risk any spoilers, so anyways...

ant-man460_1333146672.jpg

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/122/1222046p1.html

Could the long-gestating Ant-Man movie finally be moving ahead? Marvel Studios boss Kevin Feige sure seems confident about it.

Bleeding Cool chatted with Feige about the project, which has been scripted by Edgar Wright and Joe Cornish with Wright also slated to direct.

"It's somewhere. I'll just say it's closer than it's ever been in its long maybe eight year history, and I usually e-mail Edgar every two or three days and over those eight years its got further away and closer," said Feige. "We are now closer than we've ever been. So I hope it will come together shortly."

So how are they going to do this film?...

Does Ant-Man have any decent villians?

Should they do a joint movie with Wasp?

What would be the best look for them to go for with the character/What his best design been to date?

Glad to hear a little bit of news on this.

Villains; Hank Pym created Ultron, one of the Avengers biggest villains. The thing is, Ultron would be far too powerful to be the sole focus of an Antman film, but he'd be ideal to setup for an Avengers sequel. Thus, the film should probably be about the creation of Ultron, whilst focusing on a lesser Avengers villain as the actual bad guy of the movie - Whirlwind for example. Or someone not shit.

I would absolutely love to see a movie that concentrated on Hank Pym, Janet/The Wasp and Scott Lang, maybe even with a cameo from Eric O'Grady. But yeah, creation of Ultron for sure.

The look should have a Starky-edge to it, for his ant helmet, and should undobtedly be his current/coolest costume, mixed with Ultimate/Movie verse to make it less silly.

Similar to/this;

550w_comics_avengers_academy_giant_man_returns.jpg

I hope Enchantress or Ultron is the villain.

(Copied from Thor2 thread)

Edited by Mokong

Ultron's not likely, given that story will most likely be saved for, or come after Giant/Ant-Man has been established in the universe. Plus it's a bit similar to Destroyer in the first film.

Enchantress could be interesting, what with Jane following Thor on his travels this time. And they haven't had a female villian in a Marvel movie yet.

I hope Enchantress or Ultron is the villain.

Ultron will appear at the end of Avengers 2. Believe.

Gonna throw my guess in and say when we finally get the Ant-Man film we might see glimpses of Ultron specs/blueprints in the background of Pyms lab.

And we'll see Pym actually assembling Ultron (or even just the head) in the after credits of Ant-Man.

The question is how to deal with Ultron becoming a bad guy? Do they do it in an Ant-Man 2? Or through some event that happens in Avengers 2 and then have an evil Ultron appear in the after credits of that and have Ultron as the villian for Avengers 3?

Actually I'm gonna copy/move this Ulton/Ant-Man discussion to the Ant-Man thread

I genuinely can't see there being an Ant-Man 2 (at least not for many, many years), I think they've got a difficult enough job selling the first movie, and even if it's a success, there are so many other potential movies to do.

They recently said a Black Widow movie could be on the cards but the reason it's not being looked at yet is because of the massive schedule/back-log of films Marvel has.

Giant/Ant-Man could certainly have some incredible scenes visually though. Micro-Environments could look amazing.

Giant/Ant-Man could certainly have some incredible scenes visually though. Micro-Environments could look amazing.

If they do, they should read Michael Crichton's Micro. The stuff described in there sounds wonderful.

I genuinely can't see there being an Ant-Man 2 (at least not for many, many years), I think they've got a difficult enough job selling the first movie, and even if it's a success, there are so many other potential movies to do.

They recently said a Black Widow movie could be on the cards but the reason it's not being looked at yet is because of the massive schedule/back-log of films Marvel has.

Well if Ultron was to be the after credits of Avengers 2, presumably to imply he would be the bad guy in Avengers 3 (if we even got that far) there would likely be an Ant-Man 2 in the run up to an Avengers 3. Of course at minimum we're talking what 8 years away if that does happen so yeah many years still I guess.

Actually gonna retcon my Ultron speculation a bit.

Ant-Man - We'll see some blueprints breifly on a desk or lab wall, maybe a small comment by Pym but nothing else and no Ultron in the after credits (after credits will be Avengers 2 related)

Avengers 2 - After Credits we'll see Pym returning to his lab after the world is once again safe and lifts up Ultrons head and sits down to continue work on finishing his creation

Ant-Man 2 - They'll deal with Ultron here somehow but without him being the "main villian", Pym completing him and Ultron eventually turning evil at the end.

Avengers 3 - Ultron is big bad evil :heh:

That's of course assuming they don't try to shoe horn him into Avengers 2 alongside what was shown in the Avengers mid credits scene.

Also I assume with Ant-Man we will get Wasp aswell will we? Or is there someway they could write it as just Ant-Man?

The one thing I worry about with Ant-Man is how they will make him fit into the overall Marvel Film Universe. In his own film he should be fine. But when it comes to Avengers 2 having one (or two if they do Wasp) character(s) that shrink and grow might seem odd alongside all the others as part of a team up film.

Normally I'd post this in The Avengers thread, but with the movie only a month

IMDb says 2014.

It also says that Edgar Wright will direct it. That had me interested.

ant-man-logo-SDCC-610x411.jpg

IGN say the costume is more mech-suit, black and red, with a fully covered face/helmet... so yeah I'm guessing there's quite a bit of Stark tech in there. Sounds very cool! :D

With 'We Got This Covered' saying it's like the Irredeemable Ant-Man costume...

ant-man.jpg

Edited by Retro_Link

It should be Nathan Fillion.

If only because Robert Downey Jr and Nathan Fillion's usual personalities would work extremely well together - especially when combined with Joss Whedon's writing style (I'm presuming he'll do Avengers 2).

Unless they can find another way to bring Fillion into a franchise.

(I know nothing about the character)

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/07/30/ant-man-release-date-revealed

Ant-Man Release Date Revealed?

Edgar Wright's Marvel film could happen sooner than expected.

that Ant-Man movie could be happening sooner than we previously thought.

Latino Review, a site that consistently breaks Marvel stories -- much to the chagrin of the studio -- reports that the current plan for director Edgar Wright's Ant-Man is for the film to take over the studio's London production space once principal photography on Thor: The Dark World wraps there. That film starts shooting in August, so that could put an Ant-Man production start at around spring/summer 2013.

Test footage for Ant-Man was screened at Comic-Con earlier this month, but it has been unclear when the film would actually shoot or be released. Marvel already has two films scheduled for 2014: Captain America: Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy. LR speculates that Ant-Man might also turn out to be a 2014 release, which would confirm rumors that Marvel wants to start releasing three films per year with their Phase 2 cycle of movies.

Of course, Wright also has his next Simon Pegg/Nick Frost picture, The World's End, gearing up to shoot this fall, so he'll be a busy man if this Ant-Man report is accurate.

I just want to see that damn test footage!!

Edgar Wright's Ant-Man Gets a Release Date

Marvel and Disney have set a release date for director Edgar Wright's long-gestating Ant-Man movie: November 6, 2015. Fans had hoped Ant-Man could make a 2014 debut, but no such luck.

At least this means there's plenty of time for them to get this right!

Does Avengers 2 have a pencilled in date?

November 6th is very late in 2015, I'm wondering if this will come after Avengers 2, because Iron Man 3, Thor 2, Cap 2 and 'Galaxy, are all 2013/14 aren't they? So I'd have expected Avengers 2 summer 2015.

So no Ant Man in Avengers 2 then, that's quite surprising!

Wonder if the ending of Avengers 2 will set up Ant-Man then, instead of a teaser of what to expect in Avengers 3.

Slightly disappointed by that to be honest, had hoped for Ant Man (and Wasp) to be in Avengers 2

So unless they add some of teh Galaxy characters to Avengers 2 they'll pretty much have the exact same line up of "Avengers"?

And still no word on Ruffalo getting his own solo Hulk movie.... :(

Perhaps though with Ant Man's film coming after Avengers 2 it will be the beinging of "Phase 3" and maybe will be there to build up to having Ultron be the bad guy in Avengers 3?

Or maybe Avengers 2 might see Henry Pym make a cameo in Avengers 2 in a "before he became Antman" sort of way and then teh Antman film picks up after that.

*could someone take 'getting closer' out of the title*

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/02/06/ant-man-update-from-edgar-wright

Ant-Man Update From Edgar Wright

Writer-director Edgar Wright calls Ant-Man "A superhero film within another genre."

IGN recently caught up with Edgar Wright to discuss forthcoming feature The World’s End, and while we had the writer-director on the line, we took the opportunity to quiz him about superhero flick Ant-Man, the first film in the third cycle of Marvel movies heading into cinemas.

Speaking of the ways in which his effort will differ to other comic-book movies, Wright said: “It’s a way of doing a superhero film within another genre. I wanted to tell an origin tale in a slightly different way. It’s part of the Marvel cinematic universe, but it also feels like its own piece.”

As for the reason it’s taken so long to make it to the big-screen, Wright said that it’s all been part of the plan. “I’ve been collaborating with [Marvel boss] Kevin [Feige] during the whole of that cycle” he explained. “I think people have always assumed… ‘Oh why is it taking so long to make?’ Part of it is because I wanted to make two other movies first. I wanted to make World’s End… me and Simon were very keen to make it and it felt like it was unfinished business and we wanted to wrap up the trilogy. The script came together really fast. Well not really fast, but it came together at a certain point where it was like ‘I really want to do this next.’

“But to be honest, the later I do it, it feels like I could learn more, especially about special effects. It’s a big effects movie, so I’m pleased to go into it having done Scott Pilgrim and The World’s End because you’re always learning more about that side.”

Indeed, Wright revealed that the Ant-Man test footage that screened at Comic-Con last year was shot just before The World’s End, and he even spent some of his days off finishing the effects. “I hope that at some point we’ll be able to show that at some venue all finished” he added. "Because obviously at Comic-Con we showed it unfinished. All done it looks really good.”

And when asked about his favourite Marvel movie, Wright had no hesitation: “I guess my two favourites would have to be Iron Man and The Avengers. I’ve enjoyed all of them and I think those two are the ones that score highest on the popcorn metre. That totally work as great crowd-pleasers. And I think what they’ve managed to do in terms of The Avengers coming after a five-film cycle, is kind of extraordinary and unprecedented in cinema history. To bring together four other franchises into one. It couldn’t have gone better could it? It’s amazing.”

Ant-Man is set to release at the tail-end of 2015, while The World’s End hits this summer.

It should be Nathan Fillion.

If only because Robert Downey Jr and Nathan Fillion's usual personalities would work extremely well together

Tony Stark and Rick Castle are not real people.

Haha stop joking... next you'll say Santa isn't real.....

But...but...

Getting a bit of an update to fit in with the Movie Universe...

Looking a bit more into the future, Feige also touched upon Edgar Wright's Ant-Man, which is slated for a 2015 release post-Avengers 2. While Feige is confident in the material, he did mention that the script is getting a bit of a facelift. "Frankly, now we have to rewrite it to put it a little bit more into the [Marvel Cinematic Universe] because it was written before it existed," he said.

As for casting the leading man? "Towards the end of this year, we'll buckle down and start casting and start refining the script, which is great and which is very Edgar," Feige explained. "He has done a great job being incredibly true to the comics but is putting his own spin on it, so we'll be drawing on multiple mythologies for this one."