NEurope
Dan_Dare

Mobile gaming and mega fun apps

A big thread to discuss the myriad joys of iOS, Windows Phone and Android gaming.

I'm thinking of switching from Android to iOS myself, mostly because of the games (plus some other app related stuff) so what are the big ones to look for, Apple fans?

Everyone should also check out http://www.hookshotinc.com/ - a new gaming news site dedicated to all things quick and digital.

OK, well as the previous thread was iOS only and the mobile landscape has expanded like a obesity prone child in an icecream factory, I'll make this a sticky. New thread fun!

OMG The first new sticky thread in Other Consoles in like AGES! :p

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMJFFGHXdSNa9ExJa0Y3JgmOhH3UOlmF7eMEwIdghiOMmYQB7eXw

I don't really have anything useful to say in here other than I am quite addicted to Draw Something, it is so simple yet so fun!

Quick thoughts on some games:

Peggle. I wasn't fond of it on PC, but I love the mobile version. It needs new levels or a sequel.

Angry Birds. Didn't like any up until Space, which is decent with some nice ideas. There aren't many levels, though.

Temple Run. Was bigged up as a big iPhone game coming to Android. The entire concept is old, it plays poorly and the graphics are unimaginative and the whole game is downright awful.

Krazy Kart Racing. A sequel to the brilliant Konami Krazy Racers on GBA. The controls aren't great, but the game is still fairly decent.

Cut The Rope. The frog is cute, the graphics are nice and it plays well.

Draw Something. Lots of fun, even if you can't draw.

World of Goo. This game is perfect for a tablet. I never really liked it on Wii or PC, but the tablet version is great.

Smuggle Truck. A good fun trails-like game, with the added difficulty of trying to keep people from falling out of your truck. Also has a simple level editor and sharing options. iOS users can enjoy Snuggle Truck instead, where the people are replaced with toy pandas.

Cordy. This could be a really good paltformer with a nice main character, but the controls ruin it.

Game Dev Story. A brilliant management game. Can't wait for the sequel.

Pool Break Bro. A good pool/snooker game with decent controls and lots of options.

I also played a demo for Darksiders on my tablet. Using touch screen buttons for a game like that is hilarious.

Although not as bad as I expected as it was still playable.

Oh well if this thread is set to become the stick may as well post my thoughts here instead of digging out old thread.

IS anyone playing Angry Birds Space? Sooo many podcasts saying get it even if you don't like ANgry Birds the gravity puzzle nature adds so much to the game. I just don't buy it. I have both the regular game and seasons and got bored of them long before I finished the levels.

As for what else I'm playing on my ipod at the moment:

Tiny Tower Such a good game love it. Only one of these freemium games to keep me interested for any length of time.

Jetpack Joyride No reason not to play it as its now free to download. I've somewhat lost my enthusiasm for it due to losing my stats when I had to wipe my ipod thank god for gamecenter keeping my high score at least. It's a simple runner game sure but the objectives it gives you through out make you approach the game in a very different way each time you play.

Fairway Solitare Mix differing Solitare rules with a golf par system and a fantastic american voice commentator as if it's a real golf match and you have a recipe for success. Free to download with in app purchases for addition courses.

Hero Academy A-syncronous tile based strategy game. Made by some of the folks who used to make the Age of Empires games. Free to download with different races available for one time fees. There is still plenty of fun to be had with just the default race and the game is so well balanced you will not miss out if you don't just you have adverts between turns.

IS anyone playing Angry Birds Space? Sooo many podcasts saying get it even if you don't like ANgry Birds the gravity puzzle nature adds so much to the game. I just don't buy it. I have both the regular game and seasons and got bored of them long before I finished the levels.

There are only two sets of levels in this one. Even though I didn't even finish a set of levels in the other ones, I was left wanting more.

There's no reason not to try it as it's free. On Android.

I want to play Tiny Tower but I don't want to send them all my phone's contact details.

There are only two sets of levels in this one. Even though I didn't even finish a set of levels in the other ones, I was left wanting more.

There's no reason not to try it as it's free. On Android.

I want to play Tiny Tower but I don't want to send them all my phone's contact details.

Yeah was gonna stay not free on ios then spotted the coloured text.

Whats the deal with sending Nimblebit your phone contact details? Had no idea it did that.

On Android, when you install an app it asks for a list of permissions to install it. One of the ones for Tiny Tower is "Read Contact Data".

According to their website, this is to get your most used email to autofill the form and so you can send email invitations out.

On Android, when you install an app it asks for a list of permissions to install it. One of the ones for Tiny Tower is "Read Contact Data".

According to their website, this is to get your most used email to autofill the form and so you can send email invitations out.

Oh right its like thay on blackberry as well can you not just deselect the permissions you don't wish to give?

Ah, another different gaming platform i like.

Still plodding through the original Angry Birds, but from the views on Space i may try that pretty soon. Mainly on that Draw Something game, where most games i've been playing have since died. As in the gamers have quit.

motoheroz is free on ios at the moment, I downloaded it and its a pretty good approximation of the trials type game off the xbox. It's also made by red lynx.

Downloaded Happy Street the other day it's pretty fun available on both ios and Android. It kind of has an Animal Crossing vibe to it with animals talking in this sped up crazy language. Also you doing tasks for the folk. It's side on view and doesn't quite offer the levels of customising but it's still pretty fun.

I think I own Bastion on Steam. I should probably play it.

Also, the Amazon Appstore released in the UK. Worth getting for the odd good free game. It was Plants Vs Zombies yesterday.

There's also a Google Play end of summer sale.

Everyone needs to pick up McPixel, available on both ios and android with a lite version to try out!

OH MY GOD SUPER HEXAGON IS UTTERLY AMAZING!!!

It's from the creator of VVVVVV and it's probably the most simple game in the whole world! (move left or right, that's it!)

There's a Flash demo version available here (warning, do not play at work or you'll never get anything done!)

http://distractionware.com/games/flash/hexagon/

If you got hooked on VVVVVV's Super Gravitron, this is the game for you! :D

That game looks so hard and epileptic... Can only get to about 2 seconds before level 3 and the pressure is making me explode.

Everyone needs to pick up McPixel, available on both ios and android with a lite version to try out!

The PC/Mac/Linux version of McPixel can be downloaded for free on the official website for the next ~24 hours, if anyone trusts Flameboy enough to want to play the full game, but not enough to want to pay money for it.

Though you're welcome to pay whatever you want.

The PC/Mac/Linux version of McPixel can be downloaded for free on the official website for the next ~24 hours, if anyone trusts Flameboy enough to want to play the full game, but not enough to want to pay money for it.

Though you're welcome to pay whatever you want.

Yes it's true. I downloaded it as well for PC....although people in UK may have difficulties as it is being hosted on Pirate Bay but there is a link on the official website to get around it.

Bought Rayman Jungle Run on Android and... it's very good. Graphics and music are both excellent and runs super smooth on my Nexus 7.

Rayman runs on his own and you just tap the screen to make him jump etc. Considering how bad I find touch screen controls generally it works well on a tablet/phone.

Bit worried it might be a bit short (tablet/phone game, I know) don't think there will be much in the way of replayability either, not much else you can do after collecting all the Lums in a level (which unlocks the red tooth for that stage).

The game does have a lot of unlockable backgrounds for your device which is a nice bonus.

Recommended if you liked Rayman Origins, plus it's only £1.something,

Edited by Ike

Has anyone tried Bad Piggies yet?

It's surprisingly hard....