NEurope
Mokong

Router or ISP issue?

Having a strange occurrance the last while where my internet seems to disconnect on its own... usually while downloading some TV show eps.

Not sure if it's maybe a sign the router is getting old and needs replacing... or if its my ISP going "hhmm... he's d/l'ing a lot of data better turn him off for a min :heh:"

When it happens to fix it I have to go to my routers interface (where it's connection status says "Disconnected on demand"???) Press the "disconnect" button to fully disconnect and the reconnect again.

Anyone any ideas? Do I need a new router or is my ISP not happy with me :heh:

FYI: I do have an unlimated download package too and I don't think I'm going near the "fair use"... I think

Resetting the router one a week or so is something that should be done anyway :) How long does it go without disconnecting again, after you manually disconnect/reconnect?

If I go to resume the downloading it could happen again within a few mins. It can be very random, it might last 5 mins, it might last 10 or 20 or it might not go again and finish the download... usually only happens if downloading more than one ep at a time. And only happens when downloading

I imagine it's the router, but I'm mainly guessing. Mine used to restart itself spontaneously, and an older one did it too as it got on in age, it was annoying when it DID do it as it wouldn't reconnect properly when it restarted itself. One way you *might* be able to tell is if you've got logging on; If it clears the log when it restarts, you could log on and see where the log's started?

What router have you got? Are you downloading via torrent or something? Even though I said my old one restarted spontaneously, it tended to do it more when downloading stuff like that.

Edited by Rummy

Do you have UPnP enabled? (Disable it.)

Also disable the router firewall, your computer firewall is enough.

^Go to the router's browser interface to change those.

Weird... I swear I replied to this earlier.... odd

Anyway yeah, I'll give that a try next time I'm d/l'ing something and turn off the uPnP, though I've always had that turned on for as long as I've had the router (5 or 6 years now i think) and never had this issue till recently