NEurope
Retro_Link

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Someone exile Michael Bay to the far reaches of space... where hopefully Unicron is waiting...

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/122/1221066p1.html

Filmmaker Michael Bay, whose company Platinum Dunes is producing the new live-action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie, says the pizza-loving heroes in a half-shell will be even more than simply teenage mutant ninja turtles when they return to the big screen next year.

According to Stuff We Like, Bay was speaking at the 2012 Nickelodeon Upfront in New York last week when he said that the Turtles are really ... aliens!

Jonathan Liebesman is reportedly going to direct TMNT for a Christmas Day 2013 release.

Michael Bay to TMNT Fans: Chill!

UPDATED: Producer addresses fans in forum posting.

Michael Bay, the producer of next year's live-action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie, has addressed the widespread negative reaction fans had upon hearing that Bay and Co. have reconceived the heroes in a half-shell as aliens.

In a posting at his Shoot For The Edit blog forum, Bay said, "Fans need to take a breath, and chill. They have not read the script. Our team is working closely with one of the original creators of Ninja Turtles to help expand and give a more complex back story. Relax, we are including everything that made you become fans in the first place. We are just building a richer world."

UPDATED, MARCH 22: TMNT co-creator Peter Laird has now addressed the "alien" controversy over at his blog: " I would actually encourage TMNT fans to swallow the 'chill pill' Mr. Bay recently suggested they take, and wait and see what might come out of this seemingly ill-conceived plan. It's possible that with enough truly creative brainpower applied to this idea, it might actually work. I'm not saying it's probable, or even somewhat likely ... but it IS possible."

Laird, who reminds fans he no longer has any control over the TMNT property, added sarcastically, "the reason I say it could be a 'genius' idea is that -- for the first time -- someone has come up with a way to have as many freakin' Turtles as they want. I mean, if the TMNT are actually members of an alien race, there could be a whole PLANET of them!"

Patronising Chill Pill comment! And this Peter Laird can fuck off too!

Sure I'm being consumed by nostalia here, but he's seemingly lost the plot.

There's nothing appealing about a potential whole planet of turtles somewhere... they're unique!

And it just contradicts their origins!... they're mutants! The clue's right there in the name!!

Edited by Retro_Link

SO what about Splinter? Does he come from a planet of humanoid Rats too?

WHAT THE FRAK

Transformers I can kinda get over... but this is fucking laughable. Why take a franchise and then ignore all of it's lore completely. It's like they literally only want the name (which as pointed out doesn't even make sense anymore).

Aren't they changing the name to just Ninja turtles?

Teenage Alien Ninja Aliens.

Okay, maybe not.

Looks like the doing of pro-nuclear lobbyists. After the Fukushima crisis last year, they are determined to remove the thought process of mutation to nuclear by removing the word 'mutation' all together!

It's Michael Bay any way, there's always something to tinker with.

Micahel bay is an absolute c*nt and is the bane of the film industry!

Them being aliens destroys the whole personal story between splinter fathering them. It gives them no backstory.

Also, Laird, you fucktard, we don't want a whole planet of them. It makes them less special. We want 4. That's it. No more.

So frustrating...

Them being aliens destroys the whole personal story between splinter fathering them. It gives them no backstory.
Exactly! OK so we don't know how they're gonna handle the backstory, maybe they have found a way of doing it... but the origins are just great as they are!

Like you say it's so frustrating! We get the Turtle's back for a new film/series... and it might aswell just be a new franchise! This isn't TMHT!

Stupid planet of Ninja Aliens.

If they're shying away from mutation... I really have no idea how they're gonna get Splinter in this film... and Bebop and Rocksteady at that... unless they're all gonna stay in their original human form?

In other words, there's no way...

Relax, we are including everything that made you become fans in the first place.

...that this can be true!

I see nothing wrong with this, as long as it's done correctly.

For example, they could be on a ship with their parents (them being babies at the time), which crash lands on Earth. Another alien on Earth, who is in hiding (on account of not wanted to get dissected or something) saves the four babies takes them in and raises them (this obviously being Splinter).

And from there you still have the entire standard backstory, plus an additional (potentially massive) backstory of where they came from.

(I'm just ignoring the fact that Bay will completely screw it up to remain hopeful).

For example, they could be on a ship with their parents (them being babies at the time), which crash lands on Earth.
I'm guessing that's how it would be handled...

But to have another alien happening to be on Earth, from what the Ninja Rat planet?

And from there you still have the entire standard backstory, plus an additional (potentially massive) backstory of where they came from.
Except it would entirely ignore Splinter and Shredders origins.

And Splinter not being from Earth... why would he name them after his favourite of Earths artists?

The whole thing would be a mess!

It's gonna be interesting to see how they handle this one though to say the least!

Michael Bay the destroyer of my childhood one craze at a time. Arsehole.

I saw this news on twitter a few days ago and I've despaired the news since

Bayformers wasn't bad and i can get over most of its problems, but this! this is utter madness!

Its like rebooting batman and having him gain super powers from a bat or something!

Its utter madness, how can you have them as Aliens?

They used to say "turtle power" so would these Aliens that just so happen to look like Earth Turtles, also be called Turtles? i can't imagine any sane way an alien race would evolve to look like turtles and be called the same?

They are Ninja's so how exactly would an alien race also have a Japanesse martial art developed on their own planet?

Will this planet also have giant rats?

how will they explain the rivalry/connection with Shredder?

How will he explain every other mutated animal? Bebop, Rocksteady? would they be other aliens from other planets that would come to earth?

he is making this needlessly complicated and alienating fans (oh the irony)

the guy needs locking in a room and forced to watch all the movies all the cartoons and as punishment the live action series! i hope he gets kicked of the reboot for this

Bay doesn't give a shit about old fans, we're all grown up and won't part with our cash. He can make billions from re-branding and selling his crap to naive children who will want everything to do with the latest trend.

At the end of the day money talks in Hollywood.

Can I just say that if you paid any amount of money to anyone anywhere to see Bay's wretched Transformers movies, this is your fault. Yes you. You specifically.

To paraphrase fictional newsreader Kent Brockman, at the risk of being unpopular this forum member places the blame squarely on you, the viewers!

Can I just say that if you paid any amount of money to anyone anywhere to see Bay's wretched Transformers movies, this is your fault. Yes you. You specifically.

To paraphrase fictional newsreader Kent Brockman, at the risk of being unpopular this forum member places the blame squarely on you, the viewers!

I logged on to thank this comment.

What actually makes me feel sadface is that there are people on here who will have the "oh, it might be good" mentality and will go and see it. No. Do not give this man a single penny of your money for this.

The reason Bay is allowed to do this kinda shit is because there are people who are going to see his films, owning them on dvd, blu-ray and so forth.

Pfftf the first and third TF movies are damn good.

I'll give you the second one though.

Looks like the doing of pro-nuclear lobbyists. After the Fukushima crisis last year, they are determined to remove the thought process of mutation to nuclear by removing the word 'mutation' all together!

It's Michael Bay any way, there's always something to tinker with.

I wouldn't even say this makes much sense, because there was never any mention of anything nuclear in the original series. The mutagen was simply that, a liquid ooze that sparked mutations.

(If I recall correctly, anyway. My Ninja Turtle knowledge is a little rusty.)

I wouldn't even say this makes much sense, because there was never any mention of anything nuclear in the original series. The mutagen was simply that, a liquid ooze that sparked mutations.

(If I recall correctly, anyway. My Ninja Turtle knowledge is a little rusty.)

I'm on to you, Mr. Lobbyist..

I'm on to you, Mr. Lobbyist..

Whoa, no, I'm not pro-nuclear! :p I don't really know where I stand on it, to be honest. :heh: But I'm very much against political agendas controlling fictional media like that - freedom of speech and all that.

Whoa, no, I'm not pro-nuclear! :p I don't really know where I stand on it, to be honest. :heh: But I'm very much against political agendas controlling fictional media like that - freedom of speech and all that.

Ah I'm only jesting! But just to throw it out there, I'm pro-nuclear.

But yeah, back on topic, I'll probably still watch it. I'm not sure about watching it the day it comes out though, I'm not sure if my local cinema will be open Christmas day :laughing:

Just had a scarey thought... aren't they meant to be rebooting Transformers for the 4th film? I'm giving 10 to 1 odds he retcons the transformers origins into being made on Earth as an AI experiment gone wrong :hehL

Just had a scarey thought... aren't they meant to be rebooting Transformers for the 4th film? I'm giving 10 to 1 odds he retcons the transformers origins into being made on Earth as an AI experiment gone wrong :hehL

It's a reboot and a direct sequel.