NEurope
Serebii

The Death of Alcohol in Britain

Dramatic title yes, but here we go

The government is proposing the addition of ridiculous concessions on alcohol outside of pubs & bars, aimed at curbing those who pre-drink and then go out.

They're wanting to ban supermarkets from doing deals involving alcohol (Buy One Get One Free etc.) and are increasing a minimum cost to 40p per unit of alcohol which can increase the cost dramatically.

Thoughts?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17482035

Personally, I don't see this as getting the results they wish it to have, it'll just annoy consumers. If people are intent on drinking, they're going to drink

Edited by Serebii

Instead of having a minimum cost, they should add more tax on alcohol bought from shops, and reduce tax on alcohol in pubs and the like.

Was just coming here to post this in that other thread about duty etc. I might buy out my local off license before it happens :D

If alcohol is a problem in the UK then wether or not it annoys the consumers should be irrelevant.

Banning deals and discount seems to be a good idea. It feels borderline ethical wrong to advertise alcohol like that. It basically encourage people to buy more alcohol than they otherwise would and I don't think that's good for anyone.

I don't how much different alcohol costs in the UK relative to income etc so I can't comment on that.

Dramatic title yes, but here we go

The government is proposing the addition of ridiculous concessions on alcohol outside of pubs & bars, aimed at curbing those who pre-drink and then go out.

They're wanting to ban supermarkets from doing deals involving alcohol (Buy One Get One Free etc.) and are increasing a minimum cost to 40p per unit of alcohol which can increase the cost dramatically.

Thoughts?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-17482035

Personally, I don't see this as getting the results they wish it to have, it'll just annoy consumers. If people are intent on drinking, they're going to drink

At the moment I can get a 2.5 unit can for...75p I think? So this'll make it...£1?! That's quite a large jump. Though it will probably help the economy with all the extra money floating about(I doubt people will stop drinking) and hopefully drive some business back into the pubs if shop prices are more in line.

They've already brought measures in Scotland. We can only buy alcohol between 10am and 10pm. Supermarkets can't do deals like they used to (and still do down South) such as "3 crates for £15".

Minimum pricing has been touted for Scotland for years now as well which is fine if you drink out and theoretically will only hit the binge drinkers who pick up dirt cheap booze. I'm all for it. I tend these days to go for a proper brand of vodka or lager anyway so won't be affected.

How much is 2.5 unit?

How do you mean? It's 500ml of 5% beer, if that's what you mean. No idea how that compares to elsewhere, and I should probably mention that is almost the cheapest I've ever seen compared to high strength stuff. Larger brands like Kronenberg, Fosters, Heineken etc work out somewhere between 80p-£1 from my local off license when bought as 6 or 8ish. Usually 500ml cans and not 440ml.

They've already brought measures in Scotland. We can only buy alcohol between 10am and 10pm. Supermarkets can't do deals like they used to (and still do down South) such as "3 crates for £15".

Minimum pricing has been touted for Scotland for years now as well which is fine if you drink out and theoretically will only hit the binge drinkers who pick up dirt cheap booze. I'm all for it. I tend these days to go for a proper brand of vodka or lager anyway so won't be affected.

As long as it doesn't inflate the prices of the more expensive stuff(being seen as 'better' therefore priced more than the 'lesser' product), I don't mind too much. I'm not sure how I feel about it only hitting binge drinkers but I often have my mates over for games etc and we'll get a few from the offy over the road, I wouldn't say we're binge drinking really(cue argument over definition of a binge).

As long as it doesn't inflate the prices of the more expensive stuff(being seen as 'better' therefore priced more than the 'lesser' product), I don't mind too much. I'm not sure how I feel about it only hitting binge drinkers but I often have my mates over for games etc and we'll get a few from the offy over the road, I wouldn't say we're binge drinking really(cue argument over definition of a binge).

It shouldn't inflate the prices of more expensive stuff as it should just raise the price of cheaper stuff.

However, premium brands might increase prices so they can still be seen as premium.

Yeah, that's what would be my concern. If the prices up enough, I might go for ales and stuff a bit more often than I do these days. Though having said that, some supermarkets often do like 4 for 3s on bottled ales, I wonder if they'll have to stop that?

This is all linked to studies carried out where I work. Basically, they're pricing out dangerously cheap alcohol to stop abusive drinking, not to raise capital. There's a proven price threshold that lowers the dangers of alcoholics drinking themselves to death on stuff like White Lightning.

How do you mean? It's 500ml of 5% beer, if that's what you mean. No idea how that compares to elsewhere, and I should probably mention that is almost the cheapest I've ever seen compared to high strength stuff. Larger brands like Kronenberg, Fosters, Heineken etc work out somewhere between 80p-£1 from my local off license when bought as 6 or 8ish. Usually 500ml cans and not 440ml.

I'm asking because I'm unfamiliar with some words and UK commonly has different measurements(mile, kilometer). Over here 0,33 liter 4.5% costs roughly 2.5 £ assuming a rate of 10 for NOK/GBP(it's should be roughly 9) So in other words significantly more expensive. I think UK would be good with a price increase then.

I guess for the purpose of stopping clubbers getting too hammered and causing fights and accidents etc, it is a good thing. Hopefully they wont drink so much before hitting the town, or even not go out as much period because of the cost.

This is all linked to studies carried out where I work. Basically, they're pricing out dangerously cheap alcohol to stop abusive drinking, not to raise capital. There's a proven price threshold that lowers the dangers of alcoholics drinking themselves to death on stuff like White Lightning.

Interesting. What do you do? Do you have any access to the study papers/articles?

If alcohol is a problem in the UK then wether or not it annoys the consumers should be irrelevant.

Banning deals and discount seems to be a good idea. It feels borderline ethical wrong to advertise alcohol like that. It basically encourage people to buy more alcohol than they otherwise would and I don't think that's good for anyone.

I don't how much different alcohol costs in the UK relative to income etc so I can't comment on that.

The alcohol isn't the problem it's the bad drinking culture we've let slide for the last 20 years.

Interesting. What do you do? Do you have any access to the study papers/articles?

I work at The University of Sheffield. I'm not directly connected to the research but I do keep an eye on media coverage (my area of work, kind of) so I keep reading about it!

Here's a press release from 2011. It's about Scotland, but it includes a summary of the research from the University the policy is based on.

They should massively tax junk food and subsidize healthy food. Stop everyone getting fat and all that. /Off Topic

They should massively tax junk food and subsidize healthy food. Stop everyone getting fat and all that. /Off Topic

16913832.jpg

I guess for the purpose of stopping clubbers getting too hammered and causing fights and accidents etc, it is a good thing. Hopefully they wont drink so much before hitting the town, or even not go out as much period because of the cost.

Indeed, if it serves this purpose then i am all for it. Stupid offers on booze need to stop period.

its the lesser of two evils so to speak.

We have a problem with drinking culture which leads to violence outside clubs/pubs etc (hell people even fight on planes now)

And we have high numbers of alcoholic people who drink themselves to death on cheap alcohol

raising tax on alcohol in general hasn't worked as its pushed more people to drink the cheaper booze on offer at supermarkets.

I've known people buy loads of cheep booze when its on offer to "stock up" for parties/christmas and they just end up drinking it and buying it again when needed

If a minimum price gets cheap vodka/cider etc off the shelves then thats great as they are prodominantly bought by alcoholics and teenagers, things like tennants super and otehr extra strength largers are specifically aimed at alcoholics the bbc even did a documentary on it and interviewed brewers who couldn't even answer questions on who the target audience was! giving general responses about those who want a stronger larger to get the buzz sooner....so alcoholic

I have two alcoholic cousins one has chronic liver failure, his drink of choice strong cheap larger, if not that cheap wine, cheap vodka, cheap cider

Anyone see a pattern there? its the cost element, low cost means that £10 can buy more alcohol.

I'm sooooo in favor of this

Actually who cares about this, the price of a pack of smokes is going up by almost 40 pence! Bastards....

All I need are cigarettes and alcohol....

I likes my deals at the supermarket. 2 crates for 15 quid is always a bargain when you are hosting a gathering/party/bbq. Screw the Tories! But then, I don't live in a booze Britain type town. London is rather big you see and I don't see my little bit of it turn into a hell hole every Friday and Saturday night. Mind you, Dartford is quite close and is like that.

If these new plans can stop twats acting like drunken twats then I'm all for it. But to be honest, twats will be twats.

But to be honest, twats will be twats.

quoted for ze truuuuths

people will just get in more debt and not care if they really want the alcohol that badly.

I think it would be nicer to support our local public house industry, rather than the supermarket chains which pull in profits of billions every year..

All I need are cigarettes and alcohol....

And soon, you'll have to choose.