NEurope
ReZourceman

The Hunger Games

Who has read the books? Any good? How do the second/third/whatever compare to the first?

Just got back from the movie. More drama-y than I was expecting, some of the design is awesome some is interesting/strange/curious choices. Solid cast. Jennifer Lawrence rightfully steals the show, an incredibly strong and decent character, (also now in love with her), the action was a little dib dab, but I thoroughly enjoyed it for the most part.

Not mind blowing, but very good.

I've bought all three books of The Hunger Games for £5 (link here to those who are interested in the books) and I'm a quarter through the first book. At the moment, I'm very hooked on it. Usually, I have read the books way before the movie's released or was even mentioned being made but this has slipped right through my radar. I'm loving the book at the moment though, just hating on the people comparing it to Battle Royale because it really is nothing like it from what I've read so far. I also hate people comparing it to Twilight because, again, nothing like it...also, this is far better written and the characters are likeable!

Very much looking forward to seeing the movie but I won't be seeing it until after I've read the books.

Not ready any of the books, including Battle Royale. From what I see/read of the concept though, it's apparently very similar?

I've bought all three books of The Hunger Games for £5 (link here to those who are interested in the books) and I'm a quarter through the first book. At the moment, I'm very hooked on it. Usually, I have read the books way before the movie's released or was even mentioned being made but this has slipped right through my radar. I'm loving the book at the moment though, just hating on the people comparing it to Battle Royale because it really is nothing like it from what I've read so far. I also hate people comparing it to Twilight because, again, nothing like it...also, this is far better written and the characters are likeable!

Very much looking forward to seeing the movie but I won't be seeing it until after I've read the books.

Have you read battle Royal too though?

Not ready any of the books, including Battle Royale. From what I see/read of the concept though, it's apparently very similar?

Have you read battle Royal too though?

Yeah and they're both very different. They have the same concept of survival of the fittest but both of them have different reasons and even the characters are different. I think the only thing they both have in common is that they're violent.

Well....the core aspect of the story is incredibly similar, virtually the same in fact, but yeah...executed completely different.

I read the first book as paperbackjust got the second on Kobo (enter HungerGamesDeal3 at checkout, I got it for 56p) It's pretty good so far. I mean whilst the romantic slant is there I never felt like it was the sole focus of the books but some of the marketing behind it seems to push it that way, also all these comparisons with Twilight and interviews with Twilight fans don't bode well for me.

I'd agree with others whilst the core concept is similar it is a totally different story to Battle Royale. In my opinion Battle Royale is the best Book>Film as well, the film is fantastic but the book is sooooooo much better. I've not a read a book so fast for a long time when I read it about 2 years ago.

I very much agree with you about Battle Royale. The book is just so much better than the movie even though I do love the movie. The book focused more on the government and the families as well as the students and it was very gripping and well-written. I have to say, I haven't been so hooked on a series since Harry Potter. I can definitely see myself reading The Hunger Games again (not going to say the same for Catching Fire or Mockingjay since I'm not on it yet).

I remember my friend telling me to read them and I never did get around to buying them and just forgot until I saw them for £5 on The Book People so I got it for a steal. I think I'm about 80 or 90 pages into it.

I very much agree with you about Battle Royale. The book is just so much better than the movie even though I do love the movie. The book focused more on the government and the families as well as the students and it was very gripping and well-written. I have to say, I haven't been so hooked on a series since Harry Potter. I can definitely see myself reading The Hunger Games again (not going to say the same for Catching Fire or Mockingjay since I'm not on it yet).

I remember my friend telling me to read them and I never did get around to buying them and just forgot until I saw them for £5 on The Book People so I got it for a steal. I think I'm about 80 or 90 pages into it.

Yeah it is a steal I may pick them up for that price...even though I already own the 1st one a present from my girlfriends brother but meh.

Says it is out of stock now when i add it to the basket. Also delivery charge on top :sad:

Aside from cutting some things that's going to feel very strange once they're inevitably referenced, the movie was all right.

Katniss's character stayed true to form, by being the worst character.

Aside from cutting some things that's going to feel very strange once they're inevitably referenced, the movie was all right.

Katniss's character stayed true to form, by being the worst character.

haha true for me it's all about Peeta and Rue. I love how well some of the other characters are fleshed out with next to no actual exposition like foxface and cato.

haha true for me it's all about Peeta and Rue. I love how well some of the other characters are fleshed out with next to no actual exposition like foxface and cato.

Cato got some extra development which was awesome, nice to get a bit of an insight to the Districts that are very competitive when it comes to the games.

Haymitch and Effie were very well played and hopefully Donald Sutherland doesn't die before they film the third one, I can't fucking wait to see some of the stuff from Mockingjay in movie form.

Says it is out of stock now when i add it to the basket. Also delivery charge on top :sad:

It's still a steal even for that price. I paid £8 for the trilogy altogether really and the books are usually ranging from £5 to £8 each. Keep on top of it, it'll be in stock soon!

It's still a steal even for that price. I paid £8 for the trilogy altogether really and the books are usually ranging from £5 to £8 each. Keep on top of it, it'll be in stock soon!

NEver heard of the books before the film was being made.

I'm curiously interested to see it though. Jennifer Lawrence + good reviews + lovely soundtrack = hmmmyes.

I love the hunger games!

hungry-hungry-hippo.jpg

I'm always the orange one.

My friend snuck into my room and left the 1st book on my desk. I've been reading it all day and so far am 2/3rd of the way. It's a charming book. Someway through I questioned how I could keep interest for 350 pages when it's seemingly based on 1 event but, admittedly, the 'Hunger Game' itself is pretty damn exhilarating. I'm enjoying it, it's not perfect -- characters are a little...undeveloped -- but worth reading.

tumblr_lyfs71pmnW1r41s8oo1_500.gif

*goes back to bed to read the rest*

I love the hunger games!

hungry-hungry-hippo.jpg

I'm always the orange one.

From my favourite T-Shirt site:

Hungry_Hungry_Games6z0Detail.png

Did any one else who read the book laugh when the dress got lit on fire in the movie?

Seriously, I was expecting something a little more subtle, as in it gave the appearance that it was on fire and burning but it wasn't. Instead, we got fucking wings of fire.

Saw the film tonight.

I really, really enjoyed it. I'm a bit of a sucker for anything with a dystopian slant on things so the entire concept really appealed to me in the first place. It's a great story, but that said the characters weren't quite fleshed out enough for my liking. I feel it's a shame I didn't read the books first but I might well pick them up now. If no one else had said it I honestly wouldn't have thought to compare it to Twilight. That film is a piece of shit on it's own and especially by comparison...

Thoroughly recommended at any rate.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who's annoyed by the lack of character development. She could've done so much better.

I started / finished the book Saturday :p I liked it. I don't understand the hype but it's a pleasant read. My favorite aspect is the psychology of the games itself. It's so morbid & twisted that these teenagers are fighting to the death. The faked romance & pretence is great. Every so often we're reminded of how this is reality TV. An amusing show for residents of the districts. So yes.

Saw this last night, knowing nothing other than it was a bit like Battle Royale. The build up I felt was pretty good but it was let down by the game in my opinion. Decent enough I guess though. Is it actually based on Battle Royale? I guess it must be influenced by it in some way or another.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who's annoyed by the lack of character development. She could've done so much better.

I started / finished the book Saturday :p I liked it. I don't understand the hype but it's a pleasant read. My favorite aspect is the psychology of the games itself. It's so morbid & twisted that these teenagers are fighting to the death. The faked romance & pretence is great. Every so often we're reminded of how this is reality TV. An amusing show for residents of the districts. So yes.

Mmm I did this today, bought it and stormed through it. Rather enjoyable. Could certainly have done with more exposition for the other characters, so I hope they stick some in the film. I could hardly describe the majority of the tributes. Not sure I'll be rushing to read the sequels, considering it seems she's just written them because of the success of the first.

Very much looking forward to the film, given there were so many moments that I was reading like 'This has potential to be amazing on screen'. Interested to see how alot of it will work, considering most of the exposition is done internally, through the first person.

Just a great concept though. Also: quite liked how she ended the games. Spent the whole book wondering how

She was going to keep the main two alive. Did it well.

Saw this last night' date=' knowing nothing other than it was a bit like Battle Royale. The build up I felt was pretty good but it was let down by the game in my opinion. Decent enough I guess though. Is it actually based on Battle Royale? I guess it must be influenced by it in some way or another.[/quote']

At the back of the book there's an interview with the author, who says that she thought up the idea whilst channel-hopping between reality tv and news reports on the war. Can't help thinking that's bull though, considering how identical the concepts are. At the very least someone would have mentioned the film to her at some point whilst she was writing it...

Edited by dan-likes-trees

Fuck shaky cam, worst I've ever seen it. Made the action awful and christ was it toned down for the tweens. Glad I read the book first.

I'm currently reading the last book.

Honestly, they are alright, but I find a lot of back story missing, almost as if the author hasn't bothered to think too much into it and frankly that annoys me.

The characters remind me of others I've read before, you only have to read a few teen books to notice and someone like Katniss has certainly been done before!

I do otherwise like them, different, shame a lot of people have never heard of battle royale and therefore don't understand, but what can you do.

Film was very solid and enjoyable. Didn't have that air of shite most films with this type of hypse/target audience. Nicely directed...felt like it rose above the functionality of blockbuster filmin - tried to be stunning with it's camera/use of sound. (how well the shaky cam works is debatable and perhaps should've been used less earlier so it was more apparent later on when things should be tenser)

I hate all the tie-in merch I saw in Waterstones after leaving the film. Felt really innapropriate since if it wasn't based on a 'teen trilogy' it wouldn't exist. Horrible books with paparazzi photos of the cast on the front using words like 'hunks'. What? When did anything sexy/attractive happen in the film? In between the various flesh wounds and wailing? No.

I bought the stunning 'companion album' though, which adds to the sense of classiness and stun. Felt really uncompromising and a lovely cross-section of the current alternative country scene, all beautiful tracks. Hey this one.

EDIT: I hate all the spelling mistakes/letters missed while typing in this post, but I'm so stunned by the idea of 'hypse' that I refuse to correct any of them.