NEurope
ReZourceman

The Hunger Games

Horrible books with paparazzi photos of the cast on the front using words like 'hunks'. What? When did anything sexy/attractive happen in the film? In between the various flesh wounds and wailing? No.

applause.gif

I finished the first book last night. Today, I will be watching the movie.

I thought the book was awesome. There are some issues like, to me, there wasn't a lot of character development or anything but it felt a little forced. But then again, some of the things Katniss had to do was because of the Hunger Games so I can probably excuse that. Although, is it me or is Katniss not so likeable? Don't get me wrong, I thought she was okay but I just didn't feel like I knew her even though I was reading through her eyes and going through the Hunger Games with her. Then again, this is the first book so I suppose she develops more in Catching Fire and Mockingjay. But yeah, a great book and I look forward to starting Catching Fire and watching the movie.

I watched the film in the cinema last week with a mate. I tried to go in without comparing it to Battle Royale but I failed.

Hunger Games was alright but still felt a bit "meh" compared to Battle Royale.... and honestly I don't see how the author of the Hunger Games books is saying she never heard of the BR manga or film. Cuz this film played out just how I would have imagined Hollywood/Western writers would remake BR. And not to mention the watering down of the violence...WTF? In a film where the main story revolves around 24 people trying to kill each other it was seriously lacking in blood and proper (viewable) action.

I found it funny though that when people started dying some girls sitting behind us were very shocked to see people dying.... wtf did they expect?

The whole film just took SO FRAKKING LONG to get to the point.

Did it take like an hour and half of the 2 hours or something to actually start "The Hunger Games"?

Surely all that set up could have been cut down to get to the action sooner. All that stuff they had to go through to get Sponsors to "like" them so they could get supplies... as your man said "You stay alive by getting people to like you"... to get supplies that will help you.

And all we saw of sponsors helping people was some burn cream and a bowl of soup...WTF, that is all? We don't even see any other "Tributes" get "sponsor help". What was the frakking point in all the training and ratings and trying to impress people when they basically lead to frak all payoff.

Then when it gets to the games they kill off 12 out of the 24 in like 30seconds of blurry shaking spinning camera work that is worse then some of the shoddy fight scenes in Transformers. And of the remaining 12 I think we only really get to see like 6 people actually die... obviously going for the lower age rating to get the teen market. :heh:

At this point I must point out I've not read the books nor the BR manga, so I'm just comparing the films

ANd then when Rue dies and her father starts off a little uprising in their district... all I could think of was... "the government yearly make your kids fight to the death and it's only now you think to do something about it?"

Admitidly I was disappointed we didn't see other districts uprising but I guess that is saved for the sequels?

That's another thing I didn't like... fully get... the reason for "The Hunger Games".... so the government can keep the people in line and not rebel? WTF? If anything shouldn't that have sparked further rebelion?

Least in Battle Royale it was done to target specifically youth culture and in the world portrayed in that there was at least a sense that the parents didn't give much of a frak about what happens to the kids (though I think I heard in the Manga you see more of the families but as I said I only ever seen the film) where obviously in Hunger Games parents do care about their kids and don't want them to "take part".

Also of course in BR you actually get to see people get killed and while at the begining there is a big blood fest to start with too least the action is clear and also they have more people involved (40 is it?).

Also in the "Capitol" the contrast in fashion there just made that part feel like a different film.... actually made me think of that kids show Lazytown :heh:

Also in the "Capitol" the contrast in fashion there just made that part feel like a different film.... actually made me think of that kids show Lazytown :heh:

It made me think of the Fifth Element...

It made me think of the Fifth Element...

Haha that was the 2nd thing it made me think of.... but I guess having a baby now I would have seen some Lazytown more recently than my last viewing of Fith Element

I started reading this the other day. It's pretty much what you expect; enjoyable in a lobotomic, surrendered-all-intelligence, way. What I'm in the mood for at the moment.

Although The Hunger Games and Battle Royale do have similar qualities to them, they're different through style, the characters and even the story and reasoning itself. When I was reading the book, I was thinking more that it was like The Running Man but I can see it's a fusion of Battle Royale and Running Man. People are comparing this to Battle Royale because it's kids killing each other for survival because of the government, which I do agree with, but it's not a carbon copy of it. Both are great stories and both of them are different in their own way, in my opinion.

Tesco had the first book for just under £4 last night, so I abolished my original plan to greed on Finest Cookies and I'm going to start reading it now.

Having previously read the Battle Royale book, a few volumes of the manga and seen the film, it'll be interesing to see how The Hunger Games compares.

Edited by Guy

Having previously read the Battle Royale book, a few volumes of the manga and seen the film, it'll be interesing to see how The Hunger Games compares.

I look forward to seeing how you compare both. :)

I honestly still can't see it though. Obviously, comparing them in basic terms, I see the fact that they're kids killing kids and they're being forced to do it because of the government and there are a few other similarities but it's just done differently. To me, it's a bit like arguing that Star Wars and Star Trek are both the same because they're set in space with aliens but we all know it's not. It's like saying True Blood and Twilight are the same but they're not. I'm halfway through Catching Fire and it's just so different. For me, Battle Royale over The Hunger Games any day but they are different.

Edited by Animal

I saw the film today and I enjoyed it, bit long and the story was fairly predictable. For some reason all the crazy dressed people in the city reminded me of the Who's from the Grinch. :red:

WARNING: SPOILERS IN LINK BELOW.

Sick of everyone talking about it and want to know what it's about, but don't want to succumb to reading/watching it? ;)

If Hunger Games Was 10 Times Shorter and 100 Percent Honest

I went to read this but couldn't get past my own smugness. :heh:

When it was like Hunger games is just a rip off of the Battle Royale movies and me shouting at the screen....

WHICH COMES FROM THE BOOK!

*doucheface*

I went to read this but couldn't get past my own smugness. :heh:

When it was like Hunger games is just a rip off of the Battle Royale movies and me shouting at the screen....

WHICH COMES FROM THE BOOK!

*doucheface*

Oh, that matches nicely then. The Hunger Games book is a rip-off of the Battle Royale novel! :D

Just kidding, I don't care enough to research these arguments :p I've read and watched neither (well, watched a bit of BRII), but it sounds like they explore different themes within the unifying pit-kids-against-each-other plot.

I have only seen Battle Royale. (great film)

I have actually got nothing against these books apart from that I'm getting old and out of touch with each passing year. :p

Was gonna watch this the other day but it was only on at 9:10 which would've meant I missed the train to get back home. I did not want to hang about an empty train station at 1:29 in the morning. :)

I haven't read the BR books but The Hunger Games book isn't really a rip off of Battle Royale from what I can tell having seen the BR film.

I'd argue BR is more a rip off of Lord of the Flies than THG is of BR.

LOTF is fucking awesome.

Okay, so I finished the book. Really enjoyed it.

Started the second book. Starting to dislike Katniss. Get a hobby bitch!

Obviously I love Peeta. He so cool.

LOTF is fucking awesome.

Yes.

-----------------------------------

As for the hunger games, it's... Ok? That's more of an insult than anything, but hell, it's the only way to describe it, imo.

LOTF is fucking awesome.

Pretty much anything Golding wrote is fantastic. The Spire and Darkness Visible both such great novels (the only other two I've read tbh :heh:), but there's also nothing that'll put you in quite as much despair about the human race either.

Pincher Martin. Yes.

So I saw the film. It was good and not good in equal measures. Definitely could have been a whole lot worse and Katniss was smoking in a kind of girl next door way.

Read the second book, too. T'was as entertaining. It made me start to dislike Katniss. Obviously Peeta rocks. And Gale, I have no feelings for him. He can go away.

Catching Fire was brilliant. Just finished reading the book and I loved it. As you said though, Daft, it made me dislike Katniss more and made me like Peeta more. I'm 100 pages into Mockingjay and feel nothing for Gale at all. I kind of like Katniss more and Peeta, even though he's not been in the book so much, has been cool so far.

Not really liking that the Mockingjay movie will be a two-parter though. I'll have to read the book to see whether it's worthy of it but even then, I disagree with it. I think they should just make it into one long-ass movie but then where will they get more money from then?

Mockingjay is a bit of a disappointment to be honest. Still worth reading, but lacking the excitement and the games from the first two books which are both awesome. Have yet to see the film, is it out on blu-ray yet?

No, not yet. It's out on 3rd September in Europe and 18th August in the US.