NEurope
Eenuh

Job advice

Hey guys, I need some help (again)!

I've been in the UK for about 20 days now and have been looking for jobs to apply for. I have mostly been applying for data entry jobs since I have experience in those, as well as a few designing jobs (and sending out my portfolio to publishers). But there aren't many vacancies and all the jobs I seem to apply for seem to have about 50 other people applying to them too. So my chances are pretty low.

Now I've had three different agencies contact me about one particular job in a nearby company. The thing is, I'm not sure it's something for me or something I would like to do.

Basically the job is a customer service role where I would have to help customers with technical problems with their mobile phones and wireless data. Most likely in Dutch (though I imagine I might have to help English customers too).

My problems with this job:

- I have absolutely no experience with phones and customer service

- I have no knowledge about this sort of role or the problems I'd have to deal with

- I know nothing about mobile phones... I use an ancient model myself =P

- I'm not good at talking, especially not on phones. I end up stuttering half of the time

- Shift hours, so might have to work early mornings or late evenings, maybe weekends too, booh

The good:

- it's a job

- it would pay about 15,000 per annum

- they say I get a 2 week training

So now I'm not sure what to doooooooo.

I've always said how I don't want a job in customer service working on the phone as it's just not for me... but at the moment it seems to be the only job that's available (if I were to get it).

Can people with experience tell me what I could expect from this sort of job? I have absolutely no clue, and I don't want to be stuck in a job that I will end up hating. =(

Work on the phone for a bank. Its not that bad at all, and the people you work with really help you through the days.

I used to be terrible at talking to people on the phones but now i'm pretty good, because once you build confidence in what you're talking about it should flow in your conversation.

You get tw@ts, but you also get people that you feel really fulfilled when youve helped them. And your days go sooooo fast. I do 11 hour shifts and they feel like 5 hours.

I say do it and search for jobs whilst you have it, because youll have a three month probation period where you can simply say its not for you.

You'll soon get used to it. It will look good on your CV (you can continue looking in the mean time without the financial worry), and will show that you have experience working for a UK company (it shouldn't affect your chance of getting employed, but you never know).

From what I understand about technical support stuff like that (so, mostly assumptions), is that you'll basically put the problems into troubleshooting software and read it to the customer (best to get someone to check this). That with the training and the actual knowledge shouldn't be a problem.

As for talking on the phone...it really isn't that bad. And this comes from someone who still gets petrified when they hear the phone ringing.

I always said this too and yet here I am doing the same thing as you except via email for Spotify.

Honestly, if it comes to it and you get the job, try it for 3 months, then if you don't like it, then it's paid some bills and gives you some money whilst you look for another job.

You'll not only gain experience in working with technology, but you'll get better at phone work, which is handy! :)

Do it, it'll be relatively easy to pick up, and you'll be a pro soon enough. As for being worried about not knowing enough about phones I do a similar kind of thing (albeit in person and with PCs mainly) and you'll probably find most of those you're talking to know infinitely less than you do.

and you'll probably find most of those you're talking to know infinitely less than you do.

Quoted for truth. I was offered a job by Activision in London about 8 years ago helping them install new hardware in their work PCs and acting as on-site tech support.

I knew ABSOLUTELY SHIT about PC's, or so I thought:

Interviewer: Our PC's are always slowing up on the internet, do you think it's because we need more spyware?

Me: Need MORE spyware?

Interviewer: Yes. It's my understanding we need more spyware to know what's going on inside our PCs so we can stop viruses.

Work on the phone for a bank. Its not that bad at all, and the people you work with really help you through the days.

Yeah I know a girl who works for Lloyds in Glasgow in the call centre and not only does she get paid loads she says her shifts go really quickly and everyone around her is really friendly.

I would go for it Eenuh, if I were you, it will help you through while you look for another job.

I'll be the only one to say don't do it. Your portfolio is amazing....it will guide you to victory.

However if you do go for it;

- Talking on the phone gets easier, quickly.

- Full training would be provided.

- Most calls are easy

- Money win.

Sounds okay to be honest. Like others have said, it is something you can try for the money and experience whilst you keep looking. Just make sure you keep looking! It is easy to get lazy when you are in a job. I know i very rarely apply for things now, but i really should as i hate the job i'm in at the moment.

The calls should be okay too. They are not outgoing cold calls so that should be fine. One of the reaons why i hate my job - i'm never ever getting a job that requires cold calling ever again. Wasn't even in the job description. Anyway, i digress. Go for it Ine!

Do it! Right now jobs are pretty hard to come by so I wouldn't pass up an offer of anything. You might even find you really enojoy it and want to take it further. Better to have a job than not, there's really no negatives to doing it while trying to find something better.

I'd do it. If nothing else, it'll likely boost your confidence on the phone, improve your English and these jobs always pay well. I did it a few times and it's OK.

incoming call centres are infinitely easier than outgoing. Apply for it and see how you go. As people have said its a good way to pay the bills, and gives you the chance to get out and meet people near(?) you. Working is the best social life =P I remember you've said you struggle at times to build friendships (i know I do too) and working in those kind of environments will help that. In a call centre you pretty much have to communicate with each other, asking each other for advice, liazing with management about various things etc

I used to practically crap myself when the phone went.... now I actually look forward to the phone ringing, and i've got a super confident phone voice, everyone says i sound like that even on personal calls ha ha

I agree with the majority :) Telephone work pays above minimum wage, for starters, and in-bound is definitely less of a bitch then outbound. They will train you up heaps, as ultimately you will be representing their company on the phone so they want to make sure you know what to do. Telephone work has a fairly rapid staff turnover, which means that your employers would not expect you to be sticking around forever -- plus going through an agency, as you are, likely means the job is 'temporary' anyway.

Ultimately, the skills and learning you'll get from this sort of job is great, too. It will be scary at first but you gotta go for it!

Eenuh, you're talented as fuck. If you're ever based in London I'd not hesitate for a picosecond about submitting your CV to my creative department (and demand they hire you). And the pay is ridiculous.

Thanks for the advice guys. I mailed back to say I'm interested, so we'll see where it goes from here!

@ReZourceman: I sent my portfolio to some publishers but haven't heard back yet. Some say it can take up to 6 months (!) for them to reply. So yeah, I guess I need to do something in the meantime heh.

jayseven: I have no idea if it's temporary or not, but I guess it doesn't matter. I've seen the job advertised with lots of agencies and three of them contacted me about it (without me even going to them, they just saw me apply for other jobs online and noticed I speak Dutch haha).

@Daft: I'd love a creative job really! I would apply for graphic design jobs but I don't really have any experience in that field (which seems to be required) and there don't seem to be any of those jobs going here.

And I'm afraid I won't be moving to London anytime soon (or at all). =(

I wouldn't say you necessarily needed professional graphic design experience (especially since you have considerable talent) so long as you have proof of your capabilities in your portfolio. You just need to get your foot in the door - but most those doors are in London.

Yeah, sadly moving to London isn't an option and probably won't be in the future either.

I'm gonna keep my eyes open for jobs in the creative sector though. I mean, I even applied for a kidswear designer job or one job that just asked for a PA/Secretary in a graphic design company. Anything would be nice! =P

Work this day and age is hard to come by, look at me. I work in benefits and credits on the phones, and i dislike telephone work. I had no experience of that type of work before, so struggled for a bit doing the work. Heck even after training, it's frightening. Always will be if you've not done telephone work before.

Yeah, sadly moving to London isn't an option and probably won't be in the future either.

I'm gonna keep my eyes open for jobs in the creative sector though. I mean, I even applied for a kidswear designer job or one job that just asked for a PA/Secretary in a graphic design company. Anything would be nice! =P

You may eventually! Never say never.

Really I never wanted to be in Cambridge, I certainly never imagined working for Spotify, but they took me in and gave me a very good job when in reality I could have spent a lot of time being unemployed. I still do my portfolio work whilst I'm home and have enough money to keep myself afloat.

It may seem like you're giving up a little, but it pays the bills and gives you a footing so you can bring money in whilst looking at something else! :D

Eenuh what about freelance illustration? If you want I'm sure I can dig up some links/suggestions/etc when I'm feeling less lazy.

Eenuh what about freelance illustration? If you want I'm sure I can dig up some links/suggestions/etc when I'm feeling less lazy.

Freelance illustration is what I'd like to be doing, but I'm not sure where to start on it or how pricing even works.

I mean I sent my portfolio to some publishers but obviously that doesn't guarantee any work at all. I'm doing a few odd jobs here and there but I am not earning enough to even pay for food for a month. =P

Freelance illustration is what I'd like to be doing, but I'm not sure where to start on it or how pricing even works.

I mean I sent my portfolio to some publishers but obviously that doesn't guarantee any work at all. I'm doing a few odd jobs here and there but I am not earning enough to even pay for food for a month. =P

Give me a poke over the weekend and I'll ask around/find resources that I've been shown.