NEurope
bob

Starbucks will now call you by your actual name!!

I don't know if anyone saw this advert on tv last night, but if you didn't it's on their website:

http://starbucks.co.uk/

Basically, what they've decided to do, is rather than taking your order and then calling out the name of the drink when it's done, and you go and pick it up, they are going to ask you your name and write that on the cup, and call that out instead.

I think this is a fairly terrible idea, as it's going to make life very hard for the poor baristas, who will now have to try and remember their regular customers names, but they'll have to waste time asking how to spell names, and generally getting difficult names wrong. (Also notice how all the names in the advert are nice, short, white people names)

It also lends itself to some hilarious false names.

"Hi i'd like a Frappachino, my name is Latte"

"Yes, and I'd like a Hot Chocolate, my name is Cappuchino"

"I'm No Milk, No Sugar, and I'd like a Milky Tea please"

EDIT: And i suppose since they have to read out your name when your drink is done, you could always go with some of the classics - Mike Hunt, Willy Holder etc.

Edited by 130131301364

I don't see the "trouble" in remembering regular customer's names when they write them down.

Plan: Have a large group of people. Everyone orders separately and have slightly different drinks (i.e. amounts of sugars, milk and stuff). Then all give the same name.

I don't see the "trouble" in remembering regular customer's names when they write them down.

When the barista writes them down, or the customer?

I'm not saying that the starbucks employee will be required to remember all the names, only that the customer may expect them to if they are a regular, and may be offended when they do not.

I was once remembered as a regular in my local chippy. The guy didn't know my name but he knew what I was going to order.

*walks in chippy*

Him: "Jumbo sausage and chips?"

Me: "... yes"

Not the proudest moment of my life. But I'm glad I've been able to walk into somewhere and say "The usual please". Just wish it was something a bit cooler.

According to various sources (rage comics) this is how they've done it for years in America, so clearly it works just fine.

Yup they do it in America and it works absolutely fine. But I guess with a name like mine which isn't particularly common it's unlikely the workers will confuse my order with someone elses.

I can't be bothered with the likes of Starbucks or Costalot... they have always seemed rather overpriced to me, sometimes I will buy a coffee when out but very rarely so I tend to go for an independent cafe which I find to have almost exactly the same quality of coffee for sometimes up to half the price of these overrated coffee giants.

Each to their own though. :smile:

I know a massive twat who's actually called Starbuck and I'm sure he's loving this.

I don't really like Starbucks anyway so I'm not bothered. Although once they gave me a free drink voucher because they couldn't make me a hot chocolate for some reason, that was pretty nice.

There're tonnes of nicer independent places in Brighton anyway so I just go there, they're normally friendlier as well.

What's wrong with using order numbers?

I can see what they're trying to do, they're trying to be personable to retain and attract customers, but that only works if the employees present good customer service. I can't imagine feeling comfortable or welcome as a disgruntled barista barks out my name for the whole shop to hear.

Also everything I've tried at multiple Starbucks here is disgusting: hot drinks too sweet, hot chocolate substandard, frappucinos watery...everyone in Ireland, go to Insomnia! : peace:

Edited by EddieColeslaw

(God they look so young!)

Anyway I understand the idea ("they're treating me like someone they know!") but I think the only people who really care/will enjoy it are the usual Starbuck-frequenting boobs.

Part of me wants to go in and saying my name is "overrated turd" because I'm 5 years old.

Ah, so that is why Starbucks is all over facebook today, I was just wtf to pictures of coffee. They do it here, it makes it very easy, not really sure why is hasn't happened there sooner.

I can see what they're trying to do,

Create a huge viral marketing buzz for themselves with absolutely no effort? Pretty well played by them.

oh the possibilities! All those years of watching and paying attention the Simpsons will finally pay off! Thank you Bart Simpson for all those crank calls over the years "coffee for mike rotch, coffee for mike rotch! has anybody seen mike rotch?"

"when i get my hands on you i'm gonna....."

Awesome. I'm going to go into my nearest Starbucks and give them my entire name. It'll be hilarious. I'll go and laugh in the corner whilst they're still writing it.

Being Asian has its perks.

My Starbucks used to call me by my name before they made it mandatory.

And now this thread is a hipster thread. But seriously, I fucking missed out on that free Latte, that's annoying.

Oh-ho-ho-HO!

I am legally changing my surname to "Winky" specifically because of this!

"Large latte, Mr Winky!"

"Hot chocolate and extra cream for Mr Winky!"