NEurope
Razz

Same-Sex Marriage

I've found that a bit strange too how it's just coincidence but I'm not bothered about it. On the topic, I think that if you want to get married, you should be allowed to do so. However, on the topic of marriage (which I may make a thread for because this is an area that kind of interests me a little), I just do not see the point in doing it myself all that much. I mean, yeah, it's fun but when you actually think about the ceremony itself, why would I need a piece of paper to prove I love somebody? If I love someone, I love them. If we love each other, the relationship will last. I don't really see weddings as something necessary but they're fun. Maybe I'll change my mind on that viewpoint when the right one comes along but right now...it's a different matter, lmao.

I think (disclaimer: I am not married) that you don't get the piece of paper to prove that you love someone, you get the piece of paper because you love them, i.e. because you both want to : peace:

If you didn't want to get married, but your partner would, would you for them?

No, it's a pretty big decision, with consequences. (Apologies if this was directed at Dazz only.)

I'm not against it, but i do see where the opposition is coming from.

I see it like a little playground club at school or something. Geeks only or whatever. And then you accept a cool kid. And then his girlfriend. All of a sudden the club is not the same and can't fundamentally have the same values it had in the beginning. Is this a bad thing? No, not really, but it does require a change. I guess from their side they think, why should we change - if we change now for homosexuals, what happens in the future when the next unlikely candidates want to marry?

It's all a bit of a joke. I personally don't think much of marriage. Most people just do it for the sake of it anyway. Making it official and what have you. No religious belief in it or anything. Yeah, great. Official legal ties and faked faith. That's what we all want! Sign us up!

BUT WHAT ABOUT WHEN PEOPLE WANT TO MARRY THEIR DOG?!?!

Well people have married their hand, a dolphin, a video game character and their dead girlfriend...

I know bob's joking, but I do think it's important to stress here - No one is asking for anything more than marriage between loving, consenting adults in this civil marriage bill.

Maybe it was a heterosexual marriage, though? That's what makes it important. If a man had married a man dolphin, that would have just been outrageous. It's cool if it's with a lady dolphin though. Man, lady dolphins are hot...

I personally do not see the problem with Gay Marriage at all, (the family guy pic on page one sums it up perfectly for me!)

neither do i think it would be wrong for them to get married in a church in the eyes of god.

A gay friend of mine made an interesting point, he said why would he or any gay person want to get married in a church who doesn't want them or make them feel welcome? he likened it to a black couple having the head of the KKK forced to marry them.

I still don't know how to respond to that really, i think he should have the right to, but he has a point, if its forced its no right at all i suppose.

Eitherway its not a problem in my book

However i do have a (what word fits best here...) hang up over the issue

Will being married in a religious building apply to ALL religions?

because at the minute the media keeps doing stories on Christians being not allowed to do something when other religions can, and it will just blow up into a massive shit storm if it only applies to Christianity, assuming it doesn't blow up into a shitstorm if it IS applied to all religions

Will being married in a religious building apply to ALL religions?

because at the minute the media keeps doing stories on Christians being not allowed to do something when other religions can, and it will just blow up into a massive shit storm if it only applies to Christianity, assuming it doesn't blow up into a shitstorm if it IS applied to all religions

According to Michael Portillo on This Week last night, the law is not being changed to allow gay marriages in church anyway, even if the Church wanted it! Thus, this is actually a tiny change. Gay marriages will be allowed, but only in registry offices.

Same sex marriage is very important to me. It is essential that both people have the same sex within their marriage.

If one of the partners is having a different kind, then it's adultery. Marriage is then null.

Even tho i'm not interested in getting married myself, I filled in the survey for the sake of everyone having the OPTION.

If some twat declares themselves celibate, sexually abuses children and then decides it's his right to dictate the laws of who can & cannot marry, at least this lets a homo/trans person give them the finger & say "fuck you, i'll go get married somewhere else then".

According to Michael Portillo on This Week last night, the law is not being changed to allow gay marriages in church anyway, even if the Church wanted it! Thus, this is actually a tiny change. Gay marriages will be allowed, but only in registry offices.

Well if that's the case I don't know why the church is getting involved in this....

Marriage for all I say

Same sex marriage is very important to me. It is essential that both people have the same sex within their marriage.

If one of the partners is having a different kind, then it's adultery. Marriage is then null.

Some marriage's have agreements. A marriage isn't null if they're not having sex with each other. Especially in polygamy.

It's only marriage if they're not having sex with each other... /Old man joke made with no experience of marriage :p

3 weeks ago I had sex with a guy who was married to a man (he was wed in The Netherlands so he was legitimately married). He had his husband hadn't had sex in 2 years because they were bored with each other, and they both have sex outside the marriage. Kinda interesting. Wasn't sure how intimate it was appropriate to be, but he seemed really chilled about intimacy.

Then they should not be married. Quite frankly I think behaviour like that is disgusting.

As a gay guy myself if a married guy asked me for sex no matter what the circumstances - it would not happen.

If they are not having sex and they are bored with each other then they should never have got married. This is the problem with the majority of the gay community.

It's all meaningless random fucks.

It's why I sometimes find myself not liking being gay.

Then they should not be married. Quite frankly I think behaviour like that is disgusting.

As a gay guy myself if a married guy asked me for sex no matter what the circumstances - it would not happen.

If they are not having sex and they are bored with each other then they should never have got married. This is the problem with the majority of the gay community.

It's all meaningless random fucks.

It's why I sometimes find myself not liking being gay.

Well no, they clearly loved each other. There's a distinction between love love and sexual love.

If you didn't want to get married, but your partner would, would you for them?

I was asked this today and, I have to be honest, I can't really answer that. Whilst the idea of marriage is a good one, I don't see why I'd need a piece of paper stating that I am committing myself into a relationship and saying that I love the person. I commit everything I have in a relationship if I truly love them and one day where I have to sign some paper wouldn't ever change that. I just think it's such an expensive affair, I'd just rather have the massive party celebrating the fact we found love (cue Rihanna). The idea of divorce is just messy and unnecessary to me.

However, I can't exactly sit here and say for sure I'd never get married because I don't know the future myself but I think that it'd be fine not to get married. I can see why people like the whole thing, I like attending them myself and stuff, but I just don't get why people do it (if that makes any sense at all).

I think (disclaimer: I am not married) that you don't get the piece of paper to prove that you love someone, you get the piece of paper because you love them, i.e. because you both want to : peace:

No, it's a pretty big decision, with consequences. (Apologies if this was directed at Dazz only.)

I totally get that but why would you get the paper because you love them. Surely offering your whole self is enough? Cheesy line coming up right now but if a girl was herself and loved me for who I am, that would be all I need.

Well no, they clearly loved each other. There's a distinction between love love and sexual love.

Whilst I agree with you to a degree, the bloke is married to somebody else. He made a vow and he broke it. He may love the dude but is he IN love?

I totally get that but why would you get the paper because you love them.

You get the paper because it's tradition. The same reason we do a lot of things (the way we do).

He may love the dude but is he IN love?

No he's in chairdriver.

I totally get that but why would you get the paper because you love them. Surely offering your whole self is enough? Cheesy line coming up right now but if a girl was herself and loved me for who I am, that would be all I need.

No one says you have to get married :) I think the perfect arrangement would be to end up with someone with the same views on marriage - in your case, a lady who doesn't feel like she needs to be married. It's sad when I read about imbalances in relationships, when people end up using marriage to keep the relationship together, or when one person senselessly wants it more than the other.

I feel like I should rephrase my original post...what I mean is, you might just feel like it someday, it might just feel like something that you really want to do. I used to be vehemently against the whole idea of marriage, but recently I've found myself thinking of it as a nice thing (only in the right circumstances, mind)...or at least, not a completely horrible thing which ruins lives (I was very dramatic) :p

You get the paper because it's tradition. The same reason we do a lot of things (the way we do).

Sorry, I needed to rephrase that. I meant why do I need a piece of paper to say that, lmao. That's me tired! lmao.

No one says you have to get married :) I think the perfect arrangement would be to end up with someone with the same views on marriage - in your case, a lady who doesn't feel like she needs to be married. It's sad when I read about imbalances in relationships, when people end up using marriage to keep the relationship together, or when one person senselessly wants it more than the other.

I feel like I should rephrase my original post...what I mean is, you might just feel like it someday, it might just feel like something that you really want to do. I used to be vehemently against the whole idea of marriage, but recently I've found myself thinking of it as a nice thing (only in the right circumstances, mind)...or at least, not a completely horrible thing which ruins lives (I was very dramatic) :p

That's exactly how I think of it, really. I don't like marriage when it's used as a last resort and I don't like it when someone is left feeling bad because they don't want to marry and also leaving the other embarrassed for proposing. I like a marriage when it works but I've very rarely come across one that has. But yeah, as I said, I can't say for sure I'd never marry because situations may change in the future but most of the reasons you've stated above is why I wouldn't. It would be a nice thing to find somebody like that but it seems sometimes that marriage isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Whilst I agree with you to a degree, the bloke is married to somebody else. He made a vow and he broke it. He may love the dude but is he IN love?

I doubt their marriage vows included a clause about monogamy, especially since both were complicit in the act.

There's a reason why so many married men cheat, because in many cases its boring and tedious and frustrating and depressing to exclusively sleep with one person over a long term, even if you love that person. For example, if one of the couple has a fetish the partner doesn't share, that person is always going to be sexually unfulfilled and their life experience will be worse off for it. But that doesn't stop them from loving their spouse with all their heart.

The difference in this instance was that both spouses had agreed that they could have sexual relationships outside the marriage, so it wasn't cheating.

Edited by chairdriver

I doubt their marriage vows included a clause about monogamy, especially since both were complicit in the act.

There's a reason why so many married men cheat, because in many cases its boring and tedious and frustrating and depressing to exclusively sleep with one person over a long term, even if you love that person. For example, if one of the couple has a fetish the partner doesn't share, that person is always going to be sexually unfulfilled and their life experience will be worse off for it. But that doesn't stop them from loving their spouse with all their heart.

The difference in this instance was that both spouses had agreed that they could have sexual relationships outside the marriage, so it wasn't cheating.

Ah, so it was an open marriage then? That's cool. Also, what you say about the whole cheating thing can also apply to when you're in a relationship with somebody. If it's not an open relationship and it wasn't stated as such from the start, it could seriously hurt people involved in it, whether you love them or not. I'm not saying never do it but I think it should be known from the start so people don't invest so much time in a relationship to find that one is uncomfortable with the other's sexual interests as such. I thought that this may have been the case but obviously I was mistaken! :D

It's been interesting to see the Archbishop of Canterbury resign in part over the issue. It seems he was too damn a liberal for the CoE and I guess he couldn't, as I'm sure he never put it, "stand being surrounded with such fucking idiots on a daily basis."