NEurope
Razz

Same-Sex Marriage

Yeah I know that was a "sexistish" thing to say, I didn't (never) articulate myself well, but what I meant is that...for women, it is a goal and they are (generally speaking) more into the idea. For example...a "wedding scrapbook" and "dream wedding" are common things for women, whereas its not exactly as common for men. Hence "Don't Tell The Bride" concept aetc etc blah blah.

Basically, I like the change name and PARTY side, I don't like the fact that one should have to spend a year's wage on one day, when you can have a fucking incredible PARTY as opposed to wedding for a couple grams*.

*I say gram instead of grand.

Its been legal in my country for a number of years now. I honestly don't see what the big deal is. Its basically just a contract between two individuals and the government. It seems insane to try to stop individuals from entering into a contract just because of their gender.

Yeah I know that was a "sexistish" thing to say, I didn't (never) articulate myself well, but what I meant is that...for women, it is a goal and they are (generally speaking) more into the idea. For example...a "wedding scrapbook" and "dream wedding" are common things for women, whereas its not exactly as common for men. Hence "Don't Tell The Bride" concept aetc etc blah blah.

Basically, I like the change name and PARTY side, I don't like the fact that one should have to spend a year's wage on one day, when you can have a fucking incredible PARTY as opposed to wedding for a couple grams*.

*I say gram instead of grand.

You have been fooled by the media/chick flicks.

Also plenty of people have low-key weddings, it's really up to the couple what they want to do - no one's forced to spend a few grand on it!

Can I just say something?

There was a time not long ago where this thread would have been VERY different.

I was once essentially kicked out of a forum for being gay... that was only 4 or 5 years ago. I never used to mention it on other forums because of posts I saw. I've definitely seen the number of homophobic YouTube comments go down, and anything lgbt related on YouTube tends to have hundreds of likes where as only a few years ago, it'd have so many dislikes it'd be on the verge of being removed.

Has anybody else noticed this difference?

Can I just say something?

There was a time not long ago where this thread would have been VERY different.

I was once essentially kicked out of a forum for being gay... that was only 4 or 5 years ago. I never used to mention it on other forums because of posts I saw. I've definitely seen the number of homophobic YouTube comments go down, and anything lgbt related on YouTube tends to have hundreds of likes where as only a few years ago, it'd have so many dislikes it'd be on the verge of being removed.

Has anybody else noticed this difference?

I do see your point, I was expecting at least some negativity in this thread and am quite pleasantly surprised to find the contrary.

@Hamishmash, I always thought that was a thing specific to this forum. It's never been one to toleralte serious displays of homophobia or misogeny, and it sort of pruned it's community to get rid of any of the real assholes who would say shit like that. N-E's always had sort of a good gay community though, and it helps that pretty much all of them are well informed, intelligent and not politically insane.

Actually, I've seen more of what you say in real life. Less people using "gay" or "fag" as a pejorative for example, although that might just be something to do with the company I keep having grown up over the years.

Just found out today that the age of consent in Vatican City is... 12.

I know, it shouldn't be a big surprise, but still shocked me :o

Just found out today that the age of consent in Vatican City is... 12.

I know, it shouldn't be a big surprise, but still shocked me :o

It's 14, which is still shockingly low, but not as low as Spain (13).

I don't think it's "shockingly" low, considering at 14 you do actually have sexual agency. Like, at the age of 14 I exclusively thought about sex.

I think I lost my virginity when I was 14 or 15... I don't exactly remember how old I was... but it was around that age. I don't feel like a broken human because of it.

I didn't think anyone would disagree on this forum to be fair. It just goes to show that when the over 40's die out, this will no longer be an issue.

I wonder what we will disprove of though when we're 40 :)

@Hamishmash, I always thought that was a thing specific to this forum. It's never been one to toleralte serious displays of homophobia or misogeny, and it sort of pruned it's community to get rid of any of the real assholes who would say shit like that. N-E's always had sort of a good gay community though, and it helps that pretty much all of them are well informed, intelligent and not politically insane.

Actually, I've seen more of what you say in real life. Less people using "gay" or "fag" as a pejorative for example, although that might just be something to do with the company I keep having grown up over the years.

I always found that a bit strange. Like..the proportionate number of gay men on this forum is pretty high, yet there's no actual reason for that to be so.

I always found that a bit strange. Like..the proportionate number of gay men on this forum is pretty high, yet there's no actual reason for that to be so.

I agree and never figured it out.

Maybe it's all the pretty colours!

There are actually that many gays in real life, they're just all closeted, duh. [/not backed by any statistics at all]

[i started writing a list of names, but then realised that's like Nazi practice or whatever. Could be dangerous if there's ever a fascist revolution (lol)]

Wasn't the old '1 in 10' figure recently....not debunked (because the closet) but seriously questioned?

proportionally, I'm sure the forum is higher than average.

Maybe because people like to stick with those that share common beliefs/ideals/lifestyles/preferences/etc?

People learn that this forum is gay-friendly so they are more likely to stick around if they are gay?

Wasn't the old '1 in 10' figure recently....not debunked (because the closet) but seriously questioned?

proportionally, I'm sure the forum is higher than average.

I dunno, I always thought it has been a not really been a taken-seriously thing for like 20 years or something?

It's a very hard thing to measure because sexuality is a lot more amorphous than most questionares really allow.

I've found that a bit strange too how it's just coincidence but I'm not bothered about it. On the topic, I think that if you want to get married, you should be allowed to do so. However, on the topic of marriage (which I may make a thread for because this is an area that kind of interests me a little), I just do not see the point in doing it myself all that much. I mean, yeah, it's fun but when you actually think about the ceremony itself, why would I need a piece of paper to prove I love somebody? If I love someone, I love them. If we love each other, the relationship will last. I don't really see weddings as something necessary but they're fun. Maybe I'll change my mind on that viewpoint when the right one comes along but right now...it's a different matter, lmao.

The government's consultation survey on civil marriage is now online here.

Please take part and give your opinion, whatever it may be.