NEurope
Hamishmash

Who is Joseph Kony? If you don't know, find out in here.

http://vimeo.com/invisible/kony2012

www.kony2012.com

JOSEPH KONY IS ONE OF THE WORLD’S WORST WAR CRIMINALS, and nobody knows he exists.

This is a movement to stop him, using the power of the internet as a weapon.

The video speaks for itself, and is well worth the time spent watching it.

I really hope this is successful.

Beautiful video, it broke my heart to see/hear Jacob crying.

Shared of course, its always worth it.

Shared on Facebook and Tweeted about it on Twitter. I tried to pledge on the site too, but it appears to be suffering connection issues right now, probably due to the overwhelming response this campaign has already had. The entire situation is heart-wrenching. I really hope they stop Kony!

Can't access Vimeo in China. Can I pretend to be outraged in order to feel like part of the fun?

http://vimeo.com/invisible/kony2012

www.kony2012.com

JOSEPH KONY IS ONE OF THE WORLD’S WORST WAR CRIMINALS, and nobody knows he exists.

This is a movement to stop him, using the power of the internet as a weapon.

The video speaks for itself, and is well worth the time spent watching it.

I really hope this is successful.

lol i was going to make a thread for this :')

Incredible and powerful movement. Just seen this myself and started a thread until I realised there was already one! Knew nothing about Kony. Shared all over the place.

Embedded for the lazy:

The thing is, this really is but one of the many criminals in the world who are getting away with literal murder because nobody seems to care or know.

I think it is important though that we have ONE criminal to focus on, to direct all attention, and if we can topple him then hopefully that generation will wake up and realise that the just can't do these things in this world anymore.

I get really excited when people talking about the information age. I want to be part of something that people will learn about in history. And that video does a very good job of making you feel important, that this is a time in history where anything could happen.

Are we supposed to watch the 30 minute video before knowing who or what this thread is about?

Watched, shared and donated. That video was really well made and as Hamish said, it really does a good job of making you feel like you can make the difference.

lol... can you believe it? There's a hipstery backlash from people who've been supporting this campaign for months.

tumblr_m0i27hGxmZ1qzaceko1_500.png

And one of the many comments like it:

THIS

I’ve known about this for years and I’ve supported and spread information but now that this video went viral, EVERYONE thinks they’re so involved.

NO. SHUDDUP

So everything that the video does to make you feel like you're part of some global, united community in support of a single goal gets wiped away by people in social justice competitions.

I can’t believe anybody is getting annoyed that a campaign to get people to know who Joseph Kony is… working?

I only spotted some talk about this in youtube vids and comments was wondering what was going on. At first I thought it was just another new (and annoying) youtuber that suddenly went viral :heh:

I posted it on facebook and an hour later so did Zooey Deschanel. She is clearly facebook stalking me.

I don't have 30 mins spare right now. Anyone care to at least post some bullet points? I'll watch it tonight.

lol... can you believe it? There's a hipstery backlash from people who've been supporting this campaign for months.

Who cares about these people? They were never going to make a difference, anyway.

The intro made me extremely impatient, as I've already done a lot of research on the impact of information overload. I don't understand why there aren't any bullet points or synopses on the site.

I hope Kony is stopped soon, and the company doing this is awesome. However my focus is more on Sean Sherlock and ACTA/SOPA laws in Ireland right now. Also Kony 2012 is a misleading name imo, sounds like it's in support of Kony more than anything.

Shared video on Facebook.

Donating $15 dollars a month. Decent video with a bit too much cheese, but it got the point across. Hopefully it works.

This is worth a read...

Someone's done a little research, pointing out things like the fact Uganda has been free of LRA violence for 5 years, and that the Invisible Children charity is only giving a tiny amount of the money he's making back.

It doesn't change the facts about what Kony has done, but it does make you question the way this film gives the impression that a war is going on when it isn't.

I thought it was suspicious them asking for money - stuff like the YouTube video are the best ways of raising awareness, and they've already done that.

And governments are already aware of it. Obama has previously sent in a task force to work with the local governments to stop him (but not directly attacking his group).

This is worth a read...

Someone's done a little research, pointing out things like the fact Uganda has been free of LRA violence for 5 years, and that the Invisible Children charity is only giving a tiny amount of the money he's making back.

It doesn't change the facts about what Kony has done, but it does make you question the way this film gives the impression that a war is going on when it isn't.

The video itself says that Kony has left Uganda. The point is he's still out there.

Yeah it's not like Kony has somehow stopped being a psychotic war criminal, but the tactics used by the campaign are very deceptive. Bit of a shame really because...well it's clearly a good cause and his arrest should be a priority for the authorities. I don't think they need to resort to those tactics because it discredits their objective as much as their organisation.

Also, surely the major flaw of all of this is that if American troops are sent out they'll be fighting the soldiers... who are children.

Also, surely the major flaw of all of this is that if American troops are sent out they'll be fighting the soldiers... who are children.

American troops were sent out. They were told to work with local police forces and the like and to not engage them unless it was necessary for defence.

American troops were sent out. They were told to work with local police forces and the like and to not engage them unless it was necessary for defence.

Oh right, like they were told not to piss on the bodies of war prisoners?